Trekking poles again.

Huntchic

FNG
So have been reading everything on here about trekking poles i can. I backpack hunt and am looking to get a set of poles. I've been trying to get hip replacement surgery for nearly 2 years with the VA. They canceled my surgery last January. Getting new date for surgery in a couple days so it will be in next 3 months. So I'm either going to be fighting my way along again though another hunting season with a bad hip or maybe some before season or later after surgery. Thus I'm going to get trekking poles to help. I don't really want to spend $200 on them but I'm willing to go up to maybe $150 . I'm torn here on getting Aluminum or carbon fiber. seems like the Aluminum are tougher and more durable but can be noisy I'm hearing. Carbon Fiber seems to be lighter and less noisy for hunting. Ive looked at REI and Amazon. hear lots about the Cascade mountain brand in carbon but wondered if their aluminum might be better choice. Im open to any brand and price under $150 but im really mostly concerned with strength and safety. I hunt in hills and mountains cross streams rocky muddy and pack out my camp and meat. So Aluminum or Composite ? durability and something that will stand up is most important to me.

I have Leki (carbon), Black Diamond (aluminum), and CamoFire (Aluminum).

I'll use my BD and CF quite often when hunting in AZ (all species in all terrain), Mexico (Coues), and almost anywhere else without batting an eye lash. The models I have are collapsible. The fit/finish and quality are not at the same level of my Lekis. My CF I have to re-tighten everything before a hunt and sometimes during a hunt; otherwise it will not stay extended.

My Leki (sectional) go with my on all major hunts such as sheep, goat, etc. Top notch finish and quality. Never had an issue with them.

I’m a Black Diamond carbon cork guy. Used for many years. You can usually find them on sale at your price
Point.

But - if I were you - and having a bad hip - maybe just look at a used pair of ski poles that are more heavy duty - because if you get in a real pinch and need to use as a crutch, the trekking poles might not hold up (scenario dependent). So maybe grab cheap pair of used ski poles till after your surgery and then go nice trekking pole (again - just my thots and not sure your exact scenario).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

taskswap

WKR
Cascade Mountain CF from Costco. Great value, works great. I always carry one, not two, leaving a hand free for whatever I need. I would recommend a pole even without an injury - they're great for helping balance/support you crossing deadfall, icy streams, scree, or anything else.

I drilled the top of my main pole and epoxied in a 1/4-20" all-thread rod, about 1" long. I screwed one of these on:

For $10 and maybe an ounce this also gives me a monopod for a shooting rest. The Cascade trekking pole has a very long double grip - half cork, half foam. This lets me run my stick longer than usual so it's tall enough for a quick snapshot if I need to.

OP
Huntchic

Huntchic

FNG
Thanks guys. I considered Black Diamond Aluminum and some of the Leki. I'm not saying I'm against carbon fiber just wasn't sure if they could handle my weight should i loose balance with a pack on as well as Aluminum. As far as Cascade mountain i considered them in carbon fiber but again they have aluminum version and thought perhaps they would again stand up better and more weight on them. The $$ isn't really an issue for me but i want to get whatever is going to not let me down. im not like a weekend backpacker, Im a backpack hunter and would rather spend a bit than be pissed cause something failed me. The Cascade Mountain aluminum have like 50k reviews at 4.7 stars but at like $30 it scares me. The $150 - $250 ones make me honestly wonder if they are worth that over say a $80 set. So would you recommend me going Aluminum or carbon fiber? why?

Anything that’s $30 is $30 because you’ll buy 5 sets of them over time (just saying)

I went Black Diamond carbon cork for the company, carbon (strong / light) and the cork (sweaty palms is good on them).

They adjust in seconds and have a few hundred miles on them with me abusing them (like I do with all
My gear).

I’m a big sales or used gear person (I’ll spend the money if I can save a little somehow).

Why pay full price at $XX price point for something when you can possibly find something on sale/used that was a higher price because of quality. (There are exceptions where lower priced items are better, and I’m just using this as an example).

OP
Huntchic

Huntchic

FNG
Understand, I do seek out best prices but i pretty much always get really good quality gear too. In this case its not so much a case of what to spend its more of a case of i don't know what product and material will serve me best. I buy good scopes, backpacks, rifles, boots and reload with good bullets etc. In this case I'm ignorant about Trekking poles and what material or what will be dependable. I know from reading that Black diamond and Leki are top brands but is say a set of Black diamond carbon poles going to stand up as well as the black diamond aluminum poles is kinda where I'm struggling. I understand folded length and locking clamps cork handles etc. Im a tall lady at 6' so i understand length and i like cork grips on fishing poles so know those things as far as what i want. You say your a black diamond carbon fan so i ask why is that better than the aluminum black diamond. which is truly most durable ?

Drenalin

WKR
Aluminum is going to be more durable. In general, an aluminum tube is going to bend where a carbon tube would break. That said, I've never broken a carbon or aluminum trekking pole.

OutdoorsMD

Lil-Rokslider
At 125 lbs I broke both of my leki carbon poles on a sheep hunt. Not impressed at all. Switched to the BD Alpine Carbon Cork for my last two hunts and was impressed. I hot melt rubber feet for them that you can buy on Amazon and it makes them much quieter and slip less on rocks. The feet are pretty cheap.

6Pcs Hiking Pole Tips Hiking Cane - Trekking Pole Tips for Walking Sticks Rubber Tips for Hiking Sticks - Collapsible Trekking Poles Hiking Canes - Hiking Pols Lost or Worn Standard Pole Tips KSI https://a.co/d/11QAMvu

Last edited:
OP
Huntchic

Huntchic

FNG
smart idea. its starting to look like the Black diamond in carbon are going to be the suggested poles here. I honestly had a set of black diamond aluminum poles in my cart now I'm reconsidering that maybe the carbon ones are better.

OP
Huntchic

Huntchic

FNG
Well love me or hate me but I bought a pair of Leki at REI on the way home. They had Black Diamond offerings, Leki and REI brands on hand. They had the BD carbon cork model as well as few other BD models. I looked at them all that had cork handles. I liked the BD carbon cork but honestly liked the feel of the Leki cork handle better and it was aluminum not carbon fiber model. Holding both the BD were lighter but it was really hardly noticeable difference at all. The icing on the cake was all Leki were 25% - 30% off. I honestly liked the feel and everything better on the aluminum Leki best so was going to get them anyway. The sales girl came up n said those have been going fast today because of the sale. That’s when I found out they were on sale too. Thus I paid like $120 out the door for them. Feel I made a good choice and got a good deal. Like I said the BD cork composite were nice but to my hands weren’t quite as comfortable and the weight difference was nearly unnoticeable. The BD were $199.95 and I would have paid it if I hadn’t liked the Leki better plus being $90 less was a bonus I think. Might regret it one day but I feel good about my choice now.
I really appreciate everyone’s input, advice and help. Thank you all.

Snowhunter11

Lil-Rokslider
I use the leki khumbo lite $120. I don’t have hundreds of miles yet however they are a few steps above the $30-40 ones I used before. Lightweight, comfortable, and hopefully durable. My 2c

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I’ve been using a carbon set from komperdell for eight years. Never broke them.

Bend or break you can minimize the risk with proper use. Don’t over extend the poles, with your elbow at 90° drop the pole a hair more. Don’t over stride with them, stay parallel with your lower leg and no big steps. Use your arms with the poles to take some load off your legs. Some exceptions to this if you’re in really rugged terrain and you gotta do what you gotta do.

Sounds like ya pulled the trigger. Good for you. Now get em broke in, on the trails, and get that hip fixed !!!

OP
Huntchic

Huntchic

FNG
Lol. Thank you. They already sprayed camo n waiting to go. Looking forward to taking them on many adventures bum hip or recovering hip. I’ll know next Tuesday which it will be.

Well love me or hate me but I bought a pair of Leki at REI on the way home. They had Black Diamond offerings, Leki and REI brands on hand. They had the BD carbon cork model as well as few other BD models. I looked at them all that had cork handles. I liked the BD carbon cork but honestly liked the feel of the Leki cork handle better and it was aluminum not carbon fiber model. Holding both the BD were lighter but it was really hardly noticeable difference at all. The icing on the cake was all Leki were 25% - 30% off. I honestly liked the feel and everything better on the aluminum Leki best so was going to get them anyway. The sales girl came up n said those have been going fast today because of the sale. That’s when I found out they were on sale too. Thus I paid like $120 out the door for them. Feel I made a good choice and got a good deal. Like I said the BD cork composite were nice but to my hands weren’t quite as comfortable and the weight difference was nearly unnoticeable. The BD were $199.95 and I would have paid it if I hadn’t liked the Leki better plus being $90 less was a bonus I think. Might regret it one day but I feel good about my choice now.
I really appreciate everyone’s input, advice and help. Thank you all.
I was gonna say to feel them if possible.

When I got mine they had some cheapish ones, BD and Leki. The BD handles felt much more comfortable to me.

And conveniently they were cheaper than the Leki too. Lol

Fetty Wapiti

Lil-Rokslider
Just wanted to second what others have said about the cascade mountain poles... they are great for the price. I have a set in carbon and aluminum. They are fantastic for the price. Not the best but I have several seasons on mine with zero issue. Don't overpay for gear you most likely only use for a short window every year. I never understood why people pay too much for gear like poles and clothing (sitka), yet skimp on optics and other non negotiable items.