Hip replacement and hunting

OP
Huntchic

Huntchic

FNG
Thanks for giving me input and experiences. I’ve been being careful but trying to also get out n move around.

Hunting from the ground will grow on you. I now hunt about 50% from the ground and it is very exciting and rewarding. Hope you heal quickly and can enjoy some good time outdoors. Try a ghillie suit. I have had deer within 5' of me that never knew I was there.

j_volt

WKR
My dad is 57. In 2021, he had both knees partially replaced. In 2022, he had a hip replaced. He says the hip was a walk in the park compared to the knees. He was back to work (union construction) in 6 weeks after the hip replacement, and had no issue at all hunting pheasants last fall. He took the PT very seriously, and continued those exercises after he was released.

OP
Huntchic

Huntchic

FNG
Well I’m hopeful things continue going well. I’m not good at sitting around. However I am also trying to not over do it. My PT went good and they ended it a week early because they said I was doing good and ahead of normal.

OP
Huntchic

Huntchic

FNG
updating this thread.
After everything is said and done my Hip replacement went great. I'm hardheaded and basically did everything i could after surgery to get where i could get out and hunt. walking laps around yard , track and trails etc. At 30 days after i went woods/ mountains hiking scouting for a week. at 5 weeks i was backpack hunting and carrying a portable stand also sometimes. I hunted 2 states and got 6 whitetails. 3 with muzzleloader and 3 with 30-06 rifle. 1st deer with muzzleloader was a bugger. perfect shot broadside behind shoulder. He ran over a 100 yards though the nastiest thickest stuff you can imagine. Had to crawl , hack and fight following blood till i found him. quartered him out about 3 miles after 5 week from surgery. lesson learned. next two with muzzle loader i changed bullets and i shot through the neck so i didn't have to worry about tracking them. They dropped on the spot. 3 with 20-06 dropped on spot. 2 slow walking or standing and one was what ill call a slow medium run chasing a doe. he crashed on the spot also.
basically i was bit more carful hiking and such in the dark or when carrying a load, used trekking poles but above all i just went and did what i enjoyed and let body tell me my limit.IMG_1235[1].JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1250[1].JPG
    IMG_1250[1].JPG
    711 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
OP
Huntchic

Huntchic

FNG
i just went and did what i enjoyed and let body tell me my limit.
Not my going out dancing girly look but gives ya an idea of my hunting look.

Attachments

• IMG_1196[1].JPG
    IMG_1196[1].JPG
    717.6 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
OP
Huntchic

Huntchic

FNG
sorry was trying to upload pictures. keep getting note file is to big when i try to attach other deer pictures. Ugh.
If i can figure out how to post couple more i will. " IF ya don't got pictures , It didn't happen".
Honestly it did. LOL.

Last edited:
OP
Huntchic

Huntchic

FNG
Trying pics again.

Attachments

• IMG_1244.jpeg
    IMG_1244.jpeg
    270.9 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1224.jpeg
    IMG_1224.jpeg
    235.5 KB · Views: 7
  • 72117320876__2AB5C185-FD74-4ADA-BBD7-E6DC7C453D3E.jpeg
    72117320876__2AB5C185-FD74-4ADA-BBD7-E6DC7C453D3E.jpeg
    252.5 KB · Views: 7
OP
Huntchic

Huntchic

FNG
Last one. Basically 2 does a button buck and 3 bucks. Biggest buck was the one running after a doe n had 2 points on one side and 5 points on other side. Can’t eat antlers but would have been nice if they been same on each side. It was a pretty big deer and I had to call a guy friend to help me load it. Even then we used a block n tackle rig to get it.
So I appreciate everyone input and my hip replacement recovery time was one of my best times I’ve had. Lol

Attachments

• IMG_1213.jpeg
    IMG_1213.jpeg
    822.1 KB · Views: 5