Hitting arm with string

Any quick advice other then rolling shoulder out and bending bow arm for not hitting my arm every shot with my recurve. Just started shooting a recurve, never hit my arm with compound.

GLB

WKR
Hard to tell without seeing you shoot but a few things to consider.
1. Brace height correct, not too low.
2. Bow hand grip, is it straight up and down or canted. Bow hand canted at slight angle to the grip should help. This will also put a natural bend in your elbow.
3. Stance may be too bladed.

Silentstalker

Lil-Rokslider
Make sure your elbow is rotated out when holding your bow. Your inside of your forearm/elbow should be facing the bow not facing towards the sky.

Also make sure you’re shooting the correct draw length. Most people are shooting bows that are set to long for them

OP
S
It’s a wood recurve, can’t the draw be whatever I pull it back to? Add twists to string to increase brace height, correct?

GLB

WKR
Set the brace height according to the bow builder’s recommendation and where your bow tunes. The rest you will have to work it out with your form.
Lots of good info nowadays on proper shooting form, seek that or find someone that knows and show you. You don’t want to ingrain bad habits From improper form.
It’s a commitment but very rewarding, good luck!

Wrench

WKR
It's awesome when you and your bow get along. I have a few that I'd shoot without an arm guard forever.....and a few who hate me and try to chew off my tendons.

Wrench

WKR
I made a couple sharpie marks on my limb where my tuned brace is...I can grab a stick, blade of grass, arrow.....etc and check when I string up.

You'll learn that a length of brace can cause a stiff or weak situation that'll show up at the target.

TaterTot

Lil-Rokslider
If you're serious about shooting a stick bow well I highly advise getting some coaching. If coaching isn't an option, then I would suggest purchasing the online course Solid archery mechanics. If that is out of your budget then I would try to find videos from Arne Moe on you tube.

If you are just looking to solve the string slap issue for now lol up Arne moe rotational draw on you tube.

Hope you get it figured out. It's easier to make good habits than to break bad ones.

OP
S
Ya I shot some more and still hitting my arm. I plan on purchasing the solid archery mechanics this coming winter and shooting more holes into my foundation wall in the basement.

Felix40

WKR
Try gripping the bow a little tighter than you would a compound. Not a death grip but don’t just let it free recoil either.

SigAsr45

FNG
I shoot my recurve by only wrapping my index and thumb around the grip and the meat below my thumb is really the only thing on the rest of the grip. It's pretty similar to how I shoot a compound. I don't use an arm guard and it works great!

Felix40

WKR
Thats good with a soft shooting bow but anything with more hand shock can bite you if you don’t hold onto it. Hill style bows being the most extreme example.

TaterTot

Lil-Rokslider
Thats good with a soft shooting bow but anything with more hand shock can bite you if you don’t hold onto it. Hill style bows being the most extreme example.

Yup, I don't wear an arm guard when shooting any of my recurves but if I grab a low brace height long bow I need my arm guard.