Hoffman Explorer Boot Review Thread ***Updated 2/12/20***

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
For those looking for a quality handcrafted boot company made in the USA with a 40 plus year history check out their selection of mountain and lineman boots👍 I had a chance to cruise over to Kellogg Idaho and meet with Jim and Tom Hoffman to review the boot building process and grab this boot for my early season hunts. This is the 8” Explorer uninsulated version. Have not had them outside yet wanting to verify the size before I beat them up. Looks like the chosen 10 is true to my normal size. More to follow from north Idaho. Ask away with any questions. Here’s the link to the Explorers

Complete Review: Hoffman Explorer Boot Review

C3D9CDA3-1A03-43CF-B513-4266D4246E40.jpegB4F25DEC-86E1-4462-A69C-132251A31573.jpeg54AFC97F-DBF0-42F2-97A8-87A554E9BFA0.jpeg8D814F8D-E60B-4F07-A1B8-4C1DAF360FFB.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Ryan's talked about this company for years. Curious what you think overall. do you know if they build a pacboot?

OP
Ross

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
A very knowledgeable staff with decades of boot experience and any business that has a sign Elkoholic knows their stuff👍 Indeed a pacboot line that can include corks they have all seasons covered.Pretty slick on the corks you can replace individual ones as need20CCC011-991B-46AE-A30E-29799BBB88CD.jpeg7DE1D77A-B14C-4766-A579-F50E7582A215.png. They

Last edited:

Gonewest

WKR
Looking forward to the review. I just order a pair of the 6” this morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hunterjmj

WKR
Bought a pair of these last summer and so far they've held up great. They are fairly stiff but comfortable on flat ground and haven't caused any issues side-hilling. No blisters but I've never had issues with blisters.

The boots are handcrafted. Do they do a service similar to Lathrop and Sons or do they just handcraft generic sizes? I guess Im asking if they handcraft to your foot or just handcraft in a particular size?

OP
Ross

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
I believe handcrafted to particular size.....if a specific question on custom need would recommend call to Jim Hoffman and he could answer any specific questions of that nature.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I need to stop by next time I go through there and get fitted for some pack boots. I have been wanting a pair for a while.

Wrench

WKR
I have several pair of Hoffmans. My daughter is rocking a set of the explorers too. She's 12 and has no idea how lucky she is.

Jim is good to deal with. He sold me a pair of crispi steel toed guides for a price I can't repeat.

I've had a bunch of pacs and barring schnees (because I have not owned them) the Hoffmans pacs use better shells than whites and equal uppers. They really set the bar on pacs IMO. They are not the typical chineese crack in two years shells.

If you look at their work boots, they're not as fancy as nicks/whites/jk's in the heel or tongue, but they're not far off and the price difference make it an easy choice.

Hoffman Boots

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
There are a lot of high quality footwear manufactures overseas and fortunately for us hunters in the USA, they have been brought to us to choose from. Kenetrek, Schnees, Crispi, Lowa and Meindl just to name a few have been brought to the USA to offer us some great choices to choose from. I have done a lot of research on different boot manufactures from mainly Italy and Germany where most of these boots are made. One thing can be said. Even though the quality in these boots is usually excellent, not every boot will fit the consumers foot the same. One brand of boot may fit your buddies foot perfect and yet leave you wondering why he likes this model so much.
When Hoffman's started looking for a manufacture of a hunting style boot, we looked at several options. We were more than excited to find a company in Italy that has been manufacturing high end hunting boots for over 50 years. This 3rd generation, family owned business had been producing some of the best footwear that we came across but failed to venture into the US market while keeping plenty busy producing boots for Europe. I can honestly say that I would put our Explorer boot up against any boot on the market. I feel like we may be behind a bit in making this model available to the US consumer but I definitely think this is worth a look at for those of you looking for a high end mountaineering style boot.
We will be running a promotion on Rokslide the month of September. I want to give away 4 pair of boots (one a week) to random people to try. Keep an eye out for this promotion which will be starting soon.
Thank you all for your time and I hope your hunting season is not only successful but a safe one.
Visit us at www.hoffmanboots.com
Jim Hoffman
Hoffman Boots

Attachments

• both boots.jpg
    both boots.jpg
    211.5 KB · Views: 76

Stingray

Lil-Rokslider
I’ll check them out. I’m looking for new pacs and new hunting boots. Most important to me (after fit) is waterproofness and durability. I destroy boots. Doesn’t seem to matter the brand nor the cost. I just kill everything. I’ve narrowed my choices for pacs and hunting boots to either Kenetrek or Schnees as they each fit well. But I’ll check out Hoffman too.

OP
Ross

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Had a chance to get them to the mountains of north Idaho and as typical wet brush 👍 after a limited house breakin pleasantly surprised 7 hours of brush busting and checking cams no hot spots and feet stayed dry other than some major sweat on this hot day....boots are very stiff with good ankle support and got to smell the first rub of the year👍and see some wallowing with the labD214E737-97F7-49A3-BE74-4A1C48730D02.jpeg41F82643-25E0-426C-982B-CE4C0F007C86.jpeg9F0A52EB-B41C-4CBB-9536-D2C98CC0C6C5.jpeg75A4386A-9EF4-41C1-B6A4-C133E3E037D0.jpeg6CFE6E83-1C62-4D4D-B916-2B85530564EA.jpeg

Last edited:

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Had a chance to get them to the mountains of north Idaho and as typical wet brush after a limited house breakin pleasantly surprised 7 hours of brush busting and checking cams no hot spots and feet stayed dry other than some major sweat on this hot day....boots are very stiff with good ankle support and got to smell the first rub of the yearand see some wallowing with the labView attachment 119482View attachment 119483View attachment 119479View attachment 119480View attachment 119481
How's the toe box Ross? I have a pair of Scheels Beartooth
and my go to are boots are han wag Alaskan, both have a tight toe box that slightly rubs the top of my toes. I've went to a low volume gel insole to counter it. It works but always looking for better

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

OP
Ross

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Toe box is solid 3 good descents today all toenails in tact 👍😁 will say had pedicure before I went out🥳

HoffmanBoots

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
I’ll check them out. I’m looking for new pacs and new hunting boots. Most important to me (after fit) is waterproofness and durability. I destroy boots. Doesn’t seem to matter the brand nor the cost. I just kill everything. I’ve narrowed my choices for pacs and hunting boots to either Kenetrek or Schnees as they each fit well. But I’ll check out Hoffman too.
If you destroy boots, you need to be in our pro series bottoms period. It is the toughest rubber bottom out there.

OP
Ross

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
A long 9 hour day and would say they are broken in liking these boots solid stability and apparent limited breakin period zero hot spots and waterproof until you get water from the top running in from wet brush....and stand for photos🥳DBE3FC2B-7EB4-4B9E-B35B-4CBEFB9D38ED.jpeg

Last edited: