Hoffman vs schnee vs kennetrek

Michael54

WKR
I've been browsing these forums for awhile now and searching for reviews and think I have it narrowed down to the hoffman hunters, kennetrek mtn extreme, schnee beartooth. I'm a big guy whose legs are in really good shape but love eating too much for the rest of me to be. 6'3 290 to 300lbs with feet that sweat alot. I do alot of rabbit hunting in western pa with my dogs and cover alot of ground daily. My go to boot was the cabelas ultralight hunter in 10.5 wide with a sock liner and alpaca wicking sock the past 4 years. Sadly they leak so bad now if i walk through heavy dew i can wring my sock and fill a water bottle. I need something light weight that can carry my big self for hours at a time and not soak my feet at the first sign of dew. I'm not cheap by any means but am a guy that likes to buy once and have it last. Any suggestions or recommendations? These would only be used for rabbit hunting and upland bird hunting and an occasional mule deer hunt in wyoming. I stick to my muck wetlands for pa deer season. Any insight would be greatly appreciated as I'm rather gunshy on dropping $400 plus on the wrong boot

PNWGATOR

WKR
I own Schnee’s and have for several decades. They’ve changed and the new bottoms no longer work for my feet.

My next pair of boots will be Hoffman’s.

OP
Michael54

Michael54

WKR
I own Schnee’s and have for several decades. They’ve changed and the new bottoms no longer work for my feet.

I'm leaning towards the Hoffmans as of right now. They seem to have less seams in the foot area than the beartooth does. I'm just hoping that some of the bigger guys here like I am have some personal experience. It seems like i get more stability from a higher boot or i would just grab a pair of $100 hikers every year and call it a day. I'm not ok with spending $200 every hunting season for a boot that doesn't last through it though. I went rounds with a certain company I used to loves customer service over their upland hunters. Those are now being used as wading boots and had felt bottoms glued to them. I'll use them fishing until they fall apart just because I figured i can get some use out of them before throwing them away.

Krieg Hetzen

Lil-Rokslider
I have a set of Kennetrek Mountain Guides that I love. The difference in ankle support and foot feel compared to danner quarry’s is night and day. I use mine for moose hunting and have gotten them pretty wet. They haven’t leaked yet and seem to hold up well after just a season. I like they enough that I’m going to buy an insulated pair for my next late season hunt.
The mountain guides are suppose to be an upgrade to the mountain extremes and their sizing runs the same.

OP
Michael54

Michael54

WKR
I have a set of Kennetrek Mountain Guides that I love. The difference in ankle support and foot feel compared to danner quarry’s is night and day. I use mine for moose hunting and have gotten them pretty wet. They haven’t leaked yet and seem to hold up well after just a season. I like they enough that I’m going to buy an insulated pair for my next late season hunt.
The mountain guides are suppose to be an upgrade to the mountain extremes and their sizing runs the same.
I've heard the kennetreks run narrow and i have a wider foot is why I was leaning towards the hoffmans. Is that true?

Krieg Hetzen

Lil-Rokslider
I have a standard width on the size 11 kennetreks I have. I have the Wide size for my Danner Acadias. If anything I would say that kennetrek runs wide as they fit my feet great with the standard sizing and I needed the Acadia in a wide.

N2TRKYS

WKR
I've heard the kennetreks run narrow and i have a wider foot is why I was leaning towards the hoffmans. Is that true?

I wear a 10W in most all my shoes. I have a wide foot, as well. I bought a 10W in the Kennetrek and they fit perfectly.

Wrench

WKR
The schnees and Hoffman are much closer to "custom" than the Kenetreks. I have personally not owned the Kens, but have several pairs of hoffmans. You can call the store and talk to Jim, he will give it to you strait. They can be had in different widths and all have great build quality.

Between the schnees and Hoffman it's just going to be about the fit. The toe box on these type boots is unforgiving and if it doesn't work on day one. ....it likely won't ever.

I've been as heavy as you and pounded boots to death....and I would pick hoffmans myself. It helps that I can walk into their store and touch everything they have.

Whites Outdoorsman - awesome boot! You can get your foot measured at a good boot store, and follow the instructions that White's puts out to diagram your feet also and send it to them and they can build a boot to fit YOUR foot!

I would go with the uninsulated pair. My feet tend to run warm also and I wore my boots in cold snowy conditions last year and they stayed plenty warm and dry using a good wool blend sock. Even sitting for 2-3 hours my feet never got cold. They have a sole that's called the MT Claw and it is the best I have every used for all conditions from wet - snow - ice- dry. It is essentially an airbob sole and I believe was the first or one of the first airbag soles marketed. It has great outer lugs and is excellent for traction. Get the claw sole if it's still available. The price listed for retailers is pretty high, but I ordered mine through a local boot distributer for Whites and I got mine for just over $400.00. Worth every penny!

I have the beartooth I insulated, beartooth II uninsulated, and Hunter II pack boots. Love them all and if you ever have any issues (I haven’t but have had to send a few back trying to get the right size) Schnee’s customer service is top notch. There is also usually a discount code floating around out there from meateater or RMEF.

OP
Michael54

Michael54

WKR
The schnees and Hoffman are much closer to "custom" than the Kenetreks. I have personally not owned the Kens, but have several pairs of hoffmans. You can call the store and talk to Jim, he will give it to you strait. They can be had in different widths and all have great build quality.

Between the schnees and Hoffman it's just going to be about the fit. The toe box on these type boots is unforgiving and if it doesn't work on day one. ....it likely won't ever.

I've been as heavy as you and pounded boots to death....and I would pick hoffmans myself. It helps that I can walk into their store and touch everything they have.
I called Hoffman's friday and talked to a woman. Although she was extremely nice, She didn't have much of an insight as to what I need. It was more of a here is what we have at our store conversation.

Schnee's

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor

Im curious to hear what boots/bottoms you're using and having issues with? We love this kind of feedback.

Schnee's

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I've been browsing these forums for awhile now and searching for reviews and think I have it narrowed down to the hoffman hunters, kennetrek mtn extreme, schnee beartooth. I'm a big guy....

Im a big guy as well, 6'3" and around 260ish (depending on what my wife's cooking haha), so I have a pretty good idea of what you're dealing with. I you have any specific questions or anything, shoot me a pm! - Matt

OP
Michael54

Michael54

WKR
Im a big guy as well, 6'3" and around 260ish (depending on what my wife's cooking haha), so I have a pretty good idea of what you're dealing with. I you have any specific questions or anything, shoot me a pm! - Matt
I haven't figured that feature out yet lol.

OP
Michael54

Michael54

WKR
Maybe because I'm a new member it doesn't give me that option yet?

OP
Michael54

Michael54

WKR
infernos from cabelas , had mine 3 seasons so far so go warm and comfortable.
I do way too much walking for that heavy of an insulation in my boots. A normal saturday during rabbit season I'm between 8 and ten hours if i loaded both packs of dogs in the truck.