Hog hunting around Houston TX?

slatty

WKR
Sorry to post on the general forum but there's no "hogs" section.
I live in Canada but my brother recently moved to Houston. It's his 40th birthday in january 2020 and looking to fly down there and find some hogs to hunt. I hunt with a tradbow and he hunts with a gun, but really we are open to anything. Looking for any suggestions about ranch / land to hunt (I appreciate that public land is not really something that we can find down there). Thanks for any suggestions you can give me (reply or PM).

mobilefamily

Lil-Rokslider
Try Chris Crocker Outfitting. Avoid Circle H.

Look around on 2coolfishing for other references. Those are the two that jump to mind at the moment.

Good luck.

Gulfgoose

FNG
Sam Houston NF just up the road has hogs but is tough and overcrowded. I can't think of any outfitters off the top of my head but whatever you do, DO NOT go with Independence Ranch. It's a scam. I'd try asking texashuntingforum.com as well as 2coolfishing, texasbowhunter.com, and dosfrio.com. Everybody I know will be running waterfowl hunts that time of year instead. Good luck.

Gulfgoose

FNG
Also, if yall really want to go big, look at a helicopter hunt. Right after deer season until March is prime time.

Sorry to post on the general forum but there's no "hogs" section.
I live in Canada but my brother recently moved to Houston. It's his 40th birthday in january 2020 and looking to fly down there and find some hogs to hunt. I hunt with a tradbow and he hunts with a gun, but really we are open to anything. Looking for any suggestions about ranch / land to hunt (I appreciate that public land is not really something that we can find down there). Thanks for any suggestions you can give me (reply or PM).
Actually, there is pretty good hog hunting on public land, within an hour's drive of Houston. The Sam Houston National Forest is managed as a state Wildlife Management Area, and as such, requires the purchase of a $48 annual hunting permit (AHP). But that and your non-resident hunting license is all you need. There are plenty of wild hogs in that NF. Plenty. If you can't find them there (near water) then you're not looking for a hunt (which is okay too) but rather a place to shoot pigs. They all need to be shot so whichever you choose, shoot all you can.

But there is an affordable public land option near Houston. Most city folk in Houston are afraid to get out of sight of their vehicles (even though you can't go a mile in that NF without hitting a road) so if you have decent navigation skills or a GPS and can locate a water source (not hard since half the NF borders lake Conroe) then you can find pigs. And there are some bruisers out there. Trust me.

OP
slatty

slatty

WKR
Actually, there is pretty good hog hunting on public land, within an hour's drive of Houston. The Sam Houston National Forest is managed as a state Wildlife Management Area, and as such, requires the purchase of a $48 annual hunting permit (AHP). But that and your non-resident hunting license is all you need. There are plenty of wild hogs in that NF. Plenty. If you can't find them there (near water) then you're not looking for a hunt (which is okay too) but rather a place to shoot pigs. They all need to be shot so whichever you choose, shoot all you can.

But there is an affordable public land option near Houston. Most city folk in Houston are afraid to get out of sight of their vehicles (even though you can't go a mile in that NF without hitting a road) so if you have decent navigation skills or a GPS and can locate a water source (not hard since half the NF borders lake Conroe) then you can find pigs. And there are some bruisers out there. Trust me.

Thanks for the advice! Really appreciate it.

jamill451

FNG

Thanks for the intel..... maybe i’ll Get out to the NF down there next month.