Houston TX Youth Hunt Trip Planning

dihardhunter

Lil-Rokslider
My oldest daughter drew a Texas public youth deer hunt down at a coastal WMA next to Houston. Seemed like a quality hunt/experience, so we are flying in a Friday PM (from OH, this will be her big 12th bday present) for the hunt Saturday and Sunday but factored in an extra day on Monday for an extra explore/adventure day before flying out Tuesday, 1st full weekend in October. She is 12 and game for just about anything, would love to hear suggestions - considered fishing, museums, a day hog hunt operation, I just don't have any experience whatsoever in the area/region. Any pointers or recommendations appreciated!

TXRM1280

FNG
I’d highly recommend some bay fishing for red fish, trout, and flounder that time of year. She would probably love hooking into a big ole redfish. For the hunting, make sure you have mosquito spray for that time of year, especially if your near the coast. I have never hunted the public WMA’s for anything other than duck but you might try TXBowhunter forum. Lots of guys hunt these units and you might gather some sound intel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wavygravy

FNG
Justin Hurst WMA? If so you'll have a good time, assigned blinds and interesting place. Not much down in that area to see but you can take a stroll down the jetty at Surfside, hire a fishing guide (I can send some suggestions if interested), grab a beer at Bridge Bait and watch the tugs on the ICW, go see the NASA museum (great for kids), drive on Surfside beach (2wd cars are not an issue, very compact sand usually) or wander around the strand in Galveston. Downtown Houston has a great Science and Art museums as well. Htown also has several top 50 Texas BBQ joints, Truth, Pit Room and Roegels are my favorites. No idea where you're staying but remember that everything is an hour from where you are.

OP
D

dihardhunter

Lil-Rokslider
Justin Hurst WMA? If so you'll have a good time, assigned blinds and interesting place. Not much down in that area to see but you can take a stroll down the jetty at Surfside, hire a fishing guide (I can send some suggestions if interested), grab a beer at Bridge Bait and watch the tugs on the ICW, go see the NASA museum (great for kids), drive on Surfside beach (2wd cars are not an issue, very compact sand usually) or wander around the strand in Galveston. Downtown Houston has a great Science and Art museums as well. Htown also has several top 50 Texas BBQ joints, Truth, Pit Room and Roegels are my favorites. No idea where you're staying but remember that everything is an hour from where you are.
Correct, the JH hunt. It's the buck (not just spike)-doe-hog slot, should be solid opportunity for her.

@wavygravy - send me a PM with some fishing guide recommendations - big thanks!

These are great responses, keep em' coming - that extra flex day I don't mind driving a couple hours out of the way. Forgot to mention she is crazy into geology/fossils, etc too. We've done several destination trips just to dig in the dirt.

Man if she likes to dig and find stuff, don't overlook just walking the beach. If you go to an uncrowded section, and start at daylight before anyone else gets there, you can find all kinds of cool stuff that washed up over night. Could be a sea shell or message in a bottle, could be a human head or some bundles of blow. You never know!!

Make sure you have a contingency for mosquitos, it’s been dry all year so that should help, but I’ve heard of people actually swarmed on these hunts.

also not sure why it was necessary for one of the posters to name units with all the post on here about spot burning

OP
D

dihardhunter

Lil-Rokslider
Make sure you have a contingency for mosquitos, it’s been dry all year so that should help, but I’ve heard of people actually swarmed on these hunts.

also not sure why it was necessary for one of the posters to name units with all the post on here about spot burning
Noted - going into it with an Alaskan level of bug preparedness.

wavygravy

FNG
Fully onboard with not naming units and whatnot out west, but if you know Texas permit hunts, you'll know that it's not spot burning in the slightest by naming the WMA they are hunting on.

And yes to the others, bring your Thermacell(s)

Yorkshire

FNG
Correct, the JH hunt. It's the buck (not just spike)-doe-hog slot, should be solid opportunity for her.

@wavygravy - send me a PM with some fishing guide recommendations - big thanks!

These are great responses, keep em' coming - that extra flex day I don't mind driving a couple hours out of the way. Forgot to mention she is crazy into geology/fossils, etc too. We've done several destination trips just to dig in the dirt.
If she likes geology/fossils the Houston Museum of Natural Science has some great stuff