Hold on to your GMU 23/26A Shorts boys

Wapiti151

WKR
That’s a bummer.
Did he say why? Will he still take you out if you’re just hell-bent on going?
I just talked to him as well. We will be sending out emails and asking for responses asap. He said if folks choose to go, he will take them but is highly recommending holding off this year. His words exactly were, if i take you out this year you will not get the experience you are looking for and with the limited amount of land out there, it is going to be like a KOA campground of hunters. He said if you are an August hunt, he would look to take you in deeper into unit 26 if you were hell bent on going. Anything in late aug/early sep...going "deeper" won't necessarily be good because the caribou are all migrating off of unit 26 by then. He is also NOT recommending hunting the navigable waterways, because the state is saying they can map these...the Feds are saying they can't say if there are in fact legal, hunt able navigable waterways. So, you're asking to have to come back up for potential court visits if the feds are out harassing hunters. I am slated for first week of september with three buddies and am BUMMED!

This is disappointing but I think I was aware this was the direction after not having an answer sooner.

Well, that response from golden eagle sure doesn’t leave me feeling warm and fuzzy about going mid September with RAM. If the he’d had migrated out of 26, where else is there to hunt?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just talked to GE via phone. I highly recommend that if you booked with anyone other than ram to postpone. And even though I’m with ram, I may do the same bc I’m booked mid September. There are very limited spots to hunt once the caribou come off the slopes. There is an option to hunt the north slope but I was told some guys had to take a ride out last year via black hawk in mid September because the weather collapsed their tents. What a mess. May be my one and only trip to Alaska. Not sure if want to give more money to a state that shits on the people that bring a lot of revenue in.

Just talked to GE via phone. I highly recommend that if you booked with anyone other than ram to postpone. And even though I’m with ram, I may do the same bc I’m booked mid September. There are very limited spots to hunt once the caribou come off the slopes. There is an option to hunt the north slope but I was told some guys had to take a ride out last year via black hawk in mid September because the weather collapsed their tents. What a mess. May be my one and only trip to Alaska. Not sure if want to give more money to a state that shits on the people that bring a lot of revenue in.

"Not sure if want to give more money to a state that shits on the people that bring a lot of revenue in." Isn't this a federal closure, that those in the state opposed?

"Not sure if want to give more money to a state that shits on the people that bring a lot of revenue in." Isn't this a federal closure, that those in the state opposed?

True. It was a federal closure. Would be nice to see the state step up though. I’m still in shock that this happened after they voted on it last year and denied closure to caribou. Just super bummed because my wife may not get another chance to do this trip for many years as we are planning to start a family after this fall. Not at all what I wanted to deal with in regards to a trip of a lifetime for us.

True. It was a federal closure. Would be nice to see the state step up though.
The state has literally been legally fighting this for years in a number of GMUs. No one has been fighting these closures more than the resident hunters of AK that are watching more and more land locked up every year.

There are a pile of these closures in AK that most people in the thread haven't even heard of.

Last edited:
The state has literally been legally fighting this for years in a number of GMUs. No one has been fighting these closures more than the resident hunters of AK that are watching more and more land locked up every year.

There are a pile of these closures in AK that most people in the thread haven't even heard of.

I bet if the state got rid of some of their idiotic requirements there would be more support to stop stuff like this?

Maybe if residents fought to help get rid of the idiotic requirements there would be more support?

After seeing how states discriminate I am not surprised to see discrimination within the state. I also am not surprised when there isn’t a big non res rally to help fight that discrimination.

Good luck in your fight.

Please tell me more about the idiotic requirements amd how its ak residents fault that your trip got hosed by the federal government. Your cup got pissed in the same as any resident who flies to that area to hunt. You seem to be very informed of ak state regs and laws for not being a res up here.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Please tell me more about the idiotic requirements amd how its ak residents fault that your trip got hosed by the federal government. Your cup got pissed in the same as any resident who flies to that area to hunt. You seem to be very informed of ak state regs and laws for not being a res up here.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
I’m talking about the idiotic guide requirements. “My” trip didn’t get hosed because I didn’t have one booked.

I'm not upset. I said if AK got rid of some of their idiotic requirements, they would have more support.

I see it more and more. Residents of (insert state) wanting help over and over from non res yet discriminating more and more. I wonder how that is working for them? Oh look AK residents just lost access to hunting caribou on fed land in some areas. I guess it's not working that well?

If AK stays on the same track, I wonder if they will have more or less non res support when the residents come asking for help again? Anyway like I said good luck during the next round of closures.

cjc5062

FNG
While it was technically a federal closure, it was disappointing to see the Alaska Fish and Game representative vote in favor of the closure at the board meeting, especially after they were so adamantly against it. In my opinion, they should have stood behind the arguments they have been making over the last year and half.

cjc5062

FNG
Page 92 and 93 shows the votes. Alaska native Sara Boario, who is Alaska Regional Direct or US FWS voted to approve on behalf of Fish & Wildlife Service. (BLM, National Park Service and Forest Service all voted to support as well, after all being against this motion previousloy with US FWS.). Frustrating all around.
Sara Boario is the Director for the Alaska Region USFWS, which is still federal, not anything to do with the state game and fish, so I'm not sure I am following your argument here. The state was obviously against before and still is

OP
L

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
They have similar words in the agency name BUT the USFWS is federal and the Alaska Dept. of Fish and Game is state agency. I didn't catch a vote from ADFG, only the feds. If I missed it, sorry to insert this petty note.

cjc5062

FNG
My apologies, you are correct. I was associating her with the state as well due to her being Alaska Regional Director of US FWS, as she is supposed to be representing that region's interest and working with Alaska Fish Game to bring their interests to the US FWS. But you are correct, it was not Alaska Fish and Game, but US FWS who voted.