Hold on to your GMU 23/26A Shorts boys

OP
L

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Who owns almost all lands in the NW north of the Divide minus the NPRA?

I guess I should have had a lawyer interpret my feelings and experiences with the system before "claiming" a truth. For that I apologize, O. Facts are important. I guess living here and witnessing this confluence of circumstances for 27 years has given me a bit of paranormal..i mean paranoia for what to expect.

OP
L

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor

OP
L

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
things like this also concern me:

Native corp region largely without trees (commercial grade) get bent and want shares from incentives given to keep "old growth" stands in place. Claiming "if they get 100-million incentive for a 100-years of not cutting trees, we should get a cut."

Where are all these 100-miliion dollar tax incentive programs coming from? American-made Chinese magic hats or what?

AKBC

Lil-Rokslider

Native corp region largely without trees (commercial grade) get bent and want shares from incentives given to keep "old growth" stands in place. Claiming "if they get 100-million incentive for a 100-years of not cutting trees, we should get a cut."

Where are all these 100-miliion dollar tax incentive programs coming from? American-made Chinese magic hats or what?
It's coming from the same people who will have to pay for Biden's $1 Billion in climate reparations for poor countries who have suffered damages due to the use of fossil fuels (announced yesterday). It is all so absurd.

Catag94

Lil-Rokslider
Anything new on this front? Admittedly I haven't looked into recently. I’m still booked with GEO at this point. As I recall, the closure for WSA21-01A was to go through the ‘22 and ‘23 seasons. However, I’m sure there is pressure to extend due to herd count. Anyone up to date on this?

Jclark225

FNG
Anything new on this front? Admittedly I haven't looked into recently. I’m still booked with GEO at this point. As I recall, the closure for WSA21-01A was to go through the ‘22 and ‘23 seasons. However, I’m sure there is pressure to extend due to herd count. Anyone up to date on this?
Haven't heard anything new regarding the closure but our group did well getting into 26 with Arctic Air mid August this year. 4 for 4 with all decent bulls.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231123-124651.png
    Screenshot_20231123-124651.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 48

Catag94

Lil-Rokslider

Larry,
Will you be attending the WACH working group meeting next week?

A potential closure has been submitted through the Board of Game. The meeting will take place end of January. Comment period is open. Anchorage AC meeting is tomorrow. Mat Su Wednesday, and Fairbanks on the 11th.

I wouldn’t suspect the NR closure is passed by the Board, but after some decisions made last spring, I guess I wouldnt be surprised.

PROPOSAL 36
5 AAC 85.025. Hunting seasons and bag limits for caribou.
Reduce the caribou bag limit for residents in Unit 23 from five caribou per day to four caribou total, only one of which may be a cow as follows:
5 AAC 85.025(18). Unit 23 caribou.
RESIDENT HUNTERS: Four caribou [FIVE CARIBOU
PER DAY], however, no more than 1 cow may be taken by permit available online at http://
hunt.alaska.gov or in person in Kotzebue, Utqiagvik, and at license vendors in Units 23 and 26A beginning June 1.
What is the issue you would like the board to address and why?
The continuous decline of the Western Arctic caribou herd (WACH) and the need to address harvest levels of bulls and in particular cows, to try and halt the decline and allow the population to begin to recover. Currently, the bag limit is five per day during the open periods for bulls and cows. We are proposing a change to four caribou per regulatory year, with no more than one being a cow. We believe a severe reduction is called for under the preservation status of the WACH in the WACH Working Group guidelines for the current population level of 160,000 with year after year declines being observed.
PROPOSED BY: Kotzebue Advisory Committee

PROPOSAL 37
Reduce the caribou bag limit for residents in Unit 23 from five caribou per day to four caribou total, only one of which may be a cow as follows:
5 AAC 85.025(18).
Unit 23 caribou.
RESIDENT HUNTERS: Four caribou per regulatory year [FIVE CARIBOU PER DAY], however, no more than 1 cow may be taken by permit available online at http:// hunt.alaska.gov or in person in Kotzebue, Utqiagvik, and at license vendors in Units 23 and 26A beginning June 1.
What is the issue you would like the board to address and why? Reduce the caribou harvest limit in all of Unit 23 to four caribou (either four bulls or three bulls and one cow) per regulatory year. The Western Arctic caribou herd (WACH) has continued to decline with the most recent estimate being 164,000 caribou. The Northwest Arctic Regional Advisory Council (NWARAC) is greatly concerned about the precipitous decline of the WACH and feel that this action is needed to slow the decline and prevent the herd from reaching a point of no return. The NWARAC feels that the harvest recommendations set forth by the WACH working group would be a starting point for the conservation of the WACH while still allowing some harvest. The NWARAC recognizes that subsistence users are already facing food insecurities, but this drastic reduction of caribou harvest is a means to help protect the caribou herd while still allowing some harvest.
The NWARAC also submitted a proposal to eliminate nonresident caribou harvest in Unit 23.
PROPOSED BY: Northwest Arctic Regional Advisory Council (NWARAC)

PROPOSAL 38
5 AAC 85.025. Hunting seasons and bag limits for caribou. Close all nonresident caribou hunting in Unit 23 as follows:
Unit 23, that portion north of and including the Singoalik River:
NONRESIDENT HUNTERS: No Open Season [1 BULL; AUG. 1-SEPT. 30]
Remainder of Unit 23:
For all of Unit 23, close all caribou hunts to nonresidents, no open seasons are permitted.
What is the issue you would like the board to address and why? The Western Arctic caribou herd (WACH) population has been in decline for years and the low population level in 2022 is cause for concern. This proposal would close hunting of caribou in Unit 23 year-round to nonresident hunters to help with conservation and recovery of the herd, although still providing some opportunity for resident hunters.
The Northwest Arctic Council also submitted a proposal to reduce harvest limits for resident hunters.

I just can't understand why there has been no option for a non-resident limited quota. It seems illogical to me that the options are either "free for all" or "no open season" when it comes to non-residents.

It also seems fairly obvious that a long-term limit of "five per day" would have a much more deleterious effect on the population than a couple hundred dead bulls per year.

the no option for a limited quota for non res would make alot of pist off people as well. These air charters are booked out years in advance. So joe blow has a hunt set up for 2025 in september, well the quota was filled 2 days before his hunt and now he cant go unless he wants to go on a fishing/camping trip. I better option would be to go for a draw i would think, but then the air transporters cant book out 2 years in advance.

What about those that have booked? Our group put $6000 down back just before the closure. Our transporter told use this was something that happens every year and not to worry about our money/the closure actually happening. Now we are 3 years out and haven't gone on a trip and the transporter refuses to refund any money. I understand that they had a refund policy but these are extreme circumstances and we specifically asked this transporter before we put money down if the closure would effect us!!!!

OP
L

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Not attending. There wouldn't be a platform for my (our) voice at the WACH Working Group meeting.

The other public media broadcast event is a broader discussion that has an agenda I'm not sure represents any of the real issues our caribou herds are threatened by.

the no option for a limited quota for non res would make alot of pist off people as well. These air charters are booked out years in advance. So joe blow has a hunt set up for 2025 in september, well the quota was filled 2 days before his hunt and now he cant go unless he wants to go on a fishing/camping trip. I better option would be to go for a draw i would think, but then the air transporters cant book out 2 years in advance.
I meant limited as in a drawing, not a quota like some other herds.

I'm still booked for a hunt... last I heard anyway.

z987k

WKR
A potential closure has been submitted through the Board of Game. The meeting will take place end of January. Comment period is open. Anchorage AC meeting is tomorrow. Mat Su Wednesday, and Fairbanks on the 11th.

I wouldn’t suspect the NR closure is passed by the Board, but after some decisions made last spring, I guess I wouldnt be surprised.

PROPOSAL 36
5 AAC 85.025(18). Unit 23 caribou.
RESIDENT HUNTERS: Four caribou [FIVE CARIBOU
PER DAY], however, no more than 1 cow may be taken by permit available online at http://
hunt.alaska.gov or in person in Kotzebue, Utqiagvik, and at license vendors in Units 23 and 26A beginning June 1.
What is the issue you would like the board to address and why?
The continuous decline of the Western Arctic caribou herd (WACH) and the need to address harvest levels of bulls and in particular cows, to try and halt the decline and allow the population to begin to recover. Currently, the bag limit is five per day during the open periods for bulls and cows. We are proposing a change to four caribou per regulatory year, with no more than one being a cow. We believe a severe reduction is called for under the preservation status of the WACH in the WACH Working Group guidelines for the current population level of 160,000 with year after year declines being observed.
PROPOSED BY: Kotzebue Advisory Committee

PROPOSAL 37
5 AAC 85.025(18).
Unit 23 caribou.
RESIDENT HUNTERS: Four caribou per regulatory year [FIVE CARIBOU PER DAY], however, no more than 1 cow may be taken by permit available online at http:// hunt.alaska.gov or in person in Kotzebue, Utqiagvik, and at license vendors in Units 23 and 26A beginning June 1.
What is the issue you would like the board to address and why? Reduce the caribou harvest limit in all of Unit 23 to four caribou (either four bulls or three bulls and one cow) per regulatory year. The Western Arctic caribou herd (WACH) has continued to decline with the most recent estimate being 164,000 caribou. The Northwest Arctic Regional Advisory Council (NWARAC) is greatly concerned about the precipitous decline of the WACH and feel that this action is needed to slow the decline and prevent the herd from reaching a point of no return. The NWARAC feels that the harvest recommendations set forth by the WACH working group would be a starting point for the conservation of the WACH while still allowing some harvest. The NWARAC recognizes that subsistence users are already facing food insecurities, but this drastic reduction of caribou harvest is a means to help protect the caribou herd while still allowing some harvest.
The NWARAC also submitted a proposal to eliminate nonresident caribou harvest in Unit 23.

PROPOSAL 38
5 AAC 85.025. Hunting seasons and bag limits for caribou. Close all nonresident caribou hunting in Unit 23 as follows:
Unit 23, that portion north of and including the Singoalik River:
Remainder of Unit 23:
For all of Unit 23, close all caribou hunts to nonresidents, no open seasons are permitted.
What is the issue you would like the board to address and why? The Western Arctic caribou herd (WACH) population has been in decline for years and the low population level in 2022 is cause for concern. This proposal would close hunting of caribou in Unit 23 year-round to nonresident hunters to help with conservation and recovery of the herd, although still providing some opportunity for resident hunters.
The Northwest Arctic Council also submitted a proposal to reduce harvest limits for resident hunters.
The 4 per year for residents makes sense. The 5 per day where they go out on snow machines with some AR's and decimate a heard is ridiculous.

What about those that have booked? Our group put $6000 down back just before the closure. Our transporter told use this was something that happens every year and not to worry about our money/the closure actually happening. Now we are 3 years out and haven't gone on a trip and the transporter refuses to refund any money. I understand that they had a refund policy but these are extreme circumstances and we specifically asked this transporter before we put money down if the closure would effect us!!!!
If you are dealing with a licensed transporter and your hunt didn't happen and they refuse to give you a refund, you can contact the Big Game Commercial Services Board and file a complaint:
[email protected]

The 4 per year for residents makes sense. The 5 per day where they go out on snow machines with some AR's and decimate a heard is ridiculous.
Those are traditional use snow machines. Like the traditional use Wooldridge 150s that are used to herd groups of belugas around Point Barrow to be shot at by 30 people standing on shore with traditional use AR’s.