Hold the fore stock or butt stock?

Hunt41

Lil-Rokslider
I am just starting to extend the range on my Tikka 7mm. From the prone position I just can’t let go of the fore stock and use my support hand to help control the butt stock. I have a muzzle brake on the gun. What do you guys think, do I let it go??? I am setting a self imposed max range of 400 yards for myself this year.

OP
Hunt41

Hunt41

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve watched a lot of You Tube videos. Read a lot of advice. Opinions vary. It’s a light gun, heavy recoil. My son is an army sniper, so I value his opinion (support the butt stock with squeeze bag). But he also says. The most important thing is to for the shooter to be comfortable.

OP
Hunt41

Hunt41

Lil-Rokslider
I’m fortunate that I don’t have a flinching problem. But I don’t want to get scoped by a lightweight 7mm, LOL!!

OP
Hunt41

Hunt41

Lil-Rokslider
I don’t think I am changing anything right now. I leave in two weeks for a Caribou hunt. I will experiment after I get back. I am still interested in thoughts though.

Rob5589

WKR
Support hand in a fist under the butt or squeezing a rear bag. If you have proper eye relief, are into the gun correctly, and loading the bipod (if using one) you should not get hit with the scope. If off a bag, backpack, etc, I like to center the bag under the gun and use the support hand on top of the scope. I have the same gun and don't find it to be a recoil monster.

carter33

WKR
I recently switched to the rear bag method. Consistency is key and using a bipod/rear bag combo you can manage the recoil in a consistent manner. I actually shoot better using this combo than off a bench now. You may struggle initially but I would think you will see your groups tighten up as you get comfortable with it. Plenty of good videos out there on this technique. With a light rifle I have found it important to both squeeze the butt of the stock with your thumb and index finger and also to exert rearward pressure on the grip with your trigger hand.

IMO you can be inconsistent in either method but it is much easier to get stable and consistently manage recoil by using your support hand on the butt of the stock.

I prefer this method: Use your support hand and ideally a bag or improvised bag to control the rear elevation. Load the bipod or lightly pull the butt straight/squarely into your shoulder and you should be no more likely to be scope yourself than if holding fore end. This should help you be steadier and more consistent but if you are not consistently square with the rifle the recoil direction will vary from shot to shot.

Grabbing your fore end increases the likelihood you’ll put inconsistent side forces on the rifle shot to shot. Using your trigger hand muscles to hold elevation of the rear of the rifle isn’t as steady and introduces more opportunities for inconsistent forces/torque on the rifle. That said, with lightweight and heavy recoiling rifles it may be easier to get back on target for follow up shots if holding the fore end.

Lawnboi

WKR
If you don’t already have the vertical grip for that stock it helps immensely in holding your rifle tight to your shoulder, especially under the recoil of a magnum. Firm pressure on your fingers pulling the gun straight into your shoulder.

Theres a reason you don’t see many shooting long range holding their foreend while prone. If the gun requires me to get that creative to get it to shoot on the bench in the field is going to be worse.

brisket

Lil-Rokslider
For lighterweight rifles, I find im a more consistent shot pressing down on the forward scope ring with the second nuckle of my middle finger as hard as I can. I havent had many opportunities on game that allowed a true prone shot... most have been using some improvised rest where the downward pressure from my support hand allows me to manage recoil more consistently, and gives me a better chance to see impact through the scope.

With a competition weight rifle, absolutely use your support hand to stabilize the rear of the rifle. YMMV and my opinion is only valid until proven otherwise haha

Whatever you do, do it consistently as it will change your POI at long range

Varminterror

Lil-Rokslider
Run the rifle with your support hand from the buttstock. You’re a big boy, you can let go of the forend if you want.

Aaron Warpony

Lil-Rokslider
my opinion- I like using free hand under the butt stock. If gun is rested on a pack or a soft rest and position is correct, it should recoil into your shoulder just fine. If you're using the other hand for recoil benefit on the forearm, that force applied to me means inaccuracy. the less contact i have with the rifle, the better imo. may take some learning, but my 300 ultra mag hasn't scoped me yet....

Rob5589

WKR
If you don’t already have the vertical grip for that stock it helps immensely in holding your rifle tight to your shoulder, especially under the recoil of a magnum. Firm pressure on your fingers pulling the gun straight into your shoulder.

Theres a reason you don’t see many shooting long range holding their foreend while prone. If the gun requires me to get that creative to get it to shoot on the bench in the field is going to be worse.
Good point. The vertical grip makes a huge difference. Definitely give one a try.

OP
Hunt41

Hunt41

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the insights and opinions. I will let go of the forestock. I’m making a squeeze bag today.

MeatBuck

WKR
Just a few replies ago you were all set to do what you’ve been doing coming into this thread. Was about to ask what was the point of you bringing this to forums but now you’re taking the advice of internet strangers over your sniper son. So I guess I’m a bit confused by your thought process.

ultraedge

FNG
I have tried both and they both work fine. You just have to do everything the same every shot with which ever method you choose.

OP
Hunt41

Hunt41

Lil-Rokslider
Sorry for the confusion. My plan is to do what I have been doing for this hunt. But, I am going to start the learning process with the squeeze bag now. I live in a rural area and have a range out to 250 yards right out my back door. I plan on shooting every other day until I leave. If I am comfortable enough with the squeeze bag. I may take it with me.

OP
Hunt41

Hunt41

Lil-Rokslider
Here is an update. (I have been shooting almost everyday.) My gosh!!! Letting go of the fore end and using a squeeze bag under the butt stock has improved my prone position shooting so much that I am adopting it immediately.
FWIW.Federal Premium 160 grain Nosler Partitions shoot great out of my Tikka 7mm. They do better than the Nosler 160 grain AccuBond. Granted I’ve only been shooting out to 250 yards.
Thanks guys! I feel like it’s important for those of us receiving help to give an update. It helps out shooters who will be reading this thread in the future.

Fatcamp

WKR
Here is an update. (I have been shooting almost everyday.) My gosh!!! Letting go of the fore end and using a squeeze bag under the butt stock has improved my prone position shooting so much that I am adopting it immediately.
FWIW.Federal Premium 160 grain Nosler Partitions shoot great out of my Tikka 7mm. They do better than the Nosler 160 grain AccuBond. Granted I’ve only been shooting out to 250 yards.
Thanks guys! I feel like it’s important for those of us receiving help to give an update. It helps out shooters who will be reading this thread in the future.

Nice work. Sucks when people ask for advice and then disappear.

I firmly believe in using a bag under the stock. My wife on the other hand wraps her hand over the top of the barrel. Drives me nuts, but she is a waaay better shot than I am so I keep my mouth shut. 🙃