Home-Made and Cost-Effective Solutions to Backpacking and Bivy Hunting Issues

OP
Pilgrim

Pilgrim

Lil-Rokslider
Another cost saver: Be in shape. Like when you got out of boot camp shape. You dont need a $2000 spotting scope if you've got legs that wont quit on you. Plus, if you are walking to find animals, instead of laying on the ridge above timberline glassing for 6 hours, you wont need an expensive down coat to stay warm!

Holy crap, Goober, I was just thinking about this exact point today. Lately, I've been noticing how jacked my 2yo son's legs are. If y'all could see his upper legs and calves... it's almost freakish for a 2yo. Well, I guess he's almost 2 and a half... whatever. We have a newborn in the house so he gets herded to the basement a lot these days. Each step of the stairs are almost knee high on him and he can out right sprint up them. My 2yo has inspired me to get my legs in much better shape. I'm definitely not in just-got-out-of-boot-camp-shape, but it's certainly something to strive for.

Great point, Goober. It probably felt like pointing out the obvious, but it's probably something a lot of people don't want to recognize.

unm1136

WKR
Being in shape is high on my list as well. Since I started hunting my dad has used surplus military gear. Talking LC2 stuff here. I back pack hunted out of a marauder this year, and used a molle vest and pouches I picked up for about $40.00 to hold snacks, water, range finder, binos, toiletries, map, compass,and whatnot. I basecamped out of the Marauder, and the vest held what I needed for a day out. The Marauder had a cargo chair and a set of UL pods.

Also, find a nearby REI. Join the co-op. I wish I had followed this advice years ago, as I am a cheap bastard. $20.00 for a lifetime membership. You get a percentage back on everything you purchase, that you can apply to other purchases. You get invitations to member-only sales, which on some items will get you more than 50% off. AND you get a couple of annual coupons for 30% off the most expensive item you purchase. If I recall correctly you can even use the coupon on special sales. In the last two years alone I have saved over $300 on their stuff. Big purchases like packs, sleeping bags tents, ect are easier to swallow (and explain to She Who Must Be Obeyed) when they are 30% off. Back packing meals, while a tad more expensive than other sources, are 10% off when you buy a dozen, with the best selection I have seen. Four different brands of varying quality/price, and huge selections within each brand. I have even been to tastings where the emplyees provide you with samples of 8-10 different menus, and they tend to give you a discount on their classes. I hve always liked everything about REI!except the prices, and the Co-op membership does alot to mitigate that.

pat

Goober

Lil-Rokslider
I agree that being in shape is a total cost-saver. You can carry heavier lower-cost gear and go deeper.

I also agree that a $2000 spotter isn't required to be an effective hunter. I just happen to believe it could make you a more efficient hunter.

As far as glassing above timberline for six hours ... that is EXACTLY the most effective way to hunt, in my experience. You can save money on that down coat though, mil-surplus is a good way to go. It will be pretty heavy, but hey that's why you're in shape!

I'm not saying great optics are not a wonderful tool. I would love to have them myself. But cheap optics suck. I would rather go without glass for 4 years until I can afford great glass. It seems to me like half of the time it is too thick to glass where I am hunting anyway, and then carrying a spotter would be like carrying 2 bricks around. No argument from me about how wonderful good glass is. Just saying, on a tight budget (and mine is tight) I would prefer to go without a spotter and get by with decent binos. I don't really enjoy 6 hours of glassing anyway, I would be shakin' and movin' most times. Yeah, a good spotter and a healthy dose of patience would likely put a bigger trophy on my wall or more meat in the freezer, but I am not to that point yet (financially or patience wise). So for now, my legs are my spotter. Saves me $$$$ on glass, saves me money on gym memberships.