2nd or 3rd gen Tacoma questions

Sorry for yet another truck thread. I remember on the few I've seen here there's quite a few "Tacoma Bros" that may be able to answer my questions.

So some background and explanation - I currently own a 21 F150. I've had no issues with it so far in 60k miles. However, I have a medical procedure that I need to get done(its sort-of elective, so it isn't life or death or anything) and need to make room in my budget for the inevitable payments. This isn't a "I can't afford it" situation - I could - I'd just like to leave as much free room in the budget as possible.

With this said, if I make this move I'd like to have something that will still be running great after its paid off and hopefully for some years after that with regular maintenance.

My eyes were on the 2nd and 3rd gen Tacomas. I know from a space perspective it'll be smaller and will take some getting used to, but I'm fine with that. I'm not looking to do anything crazy with it as far as mods go. Probably keep stock size tires on it and run it stock. I would probably look more toward an SR5 vs the TRDs just from a cost perspective.

Alright, enough of that... on to my questions.

While hearing that guys with these trucks haven't had any issue with their 2017 model with 30k miles on it is great, understand that I put about 30k on in a year. My current truck I bought in March '21 and it has 61k on it. I would like to hear from guys who have these 2nd/3rd gen trucks with high miles what your experience has been so far. If you've got a 3rd gen with 200k+ on it even better!

From a used perspective, what should I be on the lookout for? I know the second gen had frame rot issues, but otherwise are there any other red flags? I know the tacoma forums are a great resource, however I haven't(yet) ran across any compiled posts that go over this stuff in detail. If you know of one, please pass it along!

Anything else I should know?

Thanks!

My wife's 2010 has 217k on it, its needed universal joints, CV boots and a serpentine belt idler pulley bearing. Otherwise just routine oil/filter changes. My 09 has 190k on it and has needed universal joints, cv boots and front shocks replaced on top of routine maintenance.

I'd skip the 3rd gen unless this is a commuter only type truck. Feedback from the field is that they are delicate compared to the 2nd gen for off road applications.

I have an 06 with 385k. I've replaced most of the wheel bearings once, front axles once (one of the OEM's went like 375k), u-joints/driveshaft every 90k if you're doing creek crossings (less if you're not). Starter and alternator in the last year. I think that's it (besides like brakes, windshields, tires, etc).

Just got rid of a '12 with the 4 cylinder and 200k miles. It was a great truck and didn't give me any issues. Maintenance was always kept up on it and it had a ton of life left in it. The worst thing about them is the premium you pay for that logo. I had a hard time deciding between a new F150 and a new Tacoma. I ended up with the Tacoma, strictly because I had an extra set of winter tires and stuff from the '12 that I could switch over.

tradman

Lil-Rokslider
I'm still cruising our 2003 Tacoma. Only have done maintenance and wear items on it. In the 20 years Ive had it the CEL has only come on once due to severe winching. A quick shut off and turn on cleared the light and never came back on.

7mm-08

WKR
I'm still driving our 2000 SRS extended cab (4 cylinder automatic) with 165K. Best truck ever with no major repairs since purchased new, but I'm a maintenance guy, too.

2nd gen and 3rd gen trucks are almost exactly identical. The only differences are the body/interior, engine, rear axle on TRD models, and transmissions.
They have the exact same frame problems. The coatings may be better on 3rd gens, but it's the same multi-layer, riveted, sandwiched-together design that is inherently prone to major rust issues. Take care of it and there won't be any issues. A good POR15 treatment every year or so will keep it clean.
The drivetrain on 3rd gens is mostly reliable, but in my opinion never should have been put in a 4wd application. The engine doesn't like to be run on extreme angles and will burn itself up if stuck on one for too long. Unless you're stuck on the 3rd gen body/interior, my advice would be to buy a 2nd gen with low miles. Cost will be similar but I think they're a better truck overall. The 1GR-FE is a solid engine.
My 2007 has 242xxx miles on it. It's very modified (37s) and is still reliable enough to drive across the country without a second thought. It has needed the normal stuff (axle seals, CV boots, bearings, ball joints, tie rods) but no major issues. They're extremely reliable and the only thing I'd buy over a Tacoma would be a Hilux or 70 series if I could.

southLA

WKR
2011 4x4 with 195xxx on it. Only things besides oil/fluids, brakes, and filters that have been changed are front wheel bearings once, front and rear shocks (lift), and the spark plugs a few times.

bowhuntercoop

Lil-Rokslider
Not invalidating your advice - but I need to hear the “why”
Second gen was decent. Had it’s from 2012-2018. Frame was replace by Toyota, Product of living in pa with salt.

Bought an 18 pro 3rd gen when I moved down south. Underpowered stock but was terrible on 33s. A tune fixed it. Both tracks need read suspeion replaced if you’re gunna put anything more then a cooler in the bed. They also tow like dog crap with light loads, 2500-5000lbs.

Interiors are small, rear seats are very small even for a 4 door. Gas mileage was terrible. Second gen averaged 17-18mpg, 3rd hen on 33s was around 20.

Paint on Toyotas will scratch just looking it, knows issues on several Toyota models.

The f150 gets mid 20s on 34s, has insane power with the ecoboost. Very similar to how my diesels have pulled, great low end torque. Cabs are massive inside, ride is nicer, road noise is much much quieter on the foes.

Overall the build quality is leaps and bounds better on the ford and I’m diesel Toyota guy, have had prolly a dozen of them in the family.

I had a 2nd Gen sold it at 211k needed serious work. I used that trick hunting a lot didn’t really beat it and put three wheel bearings in it, needed two when I sold it, AC went out , paint was toast on roof, overall happy with it, but that’s a lot of repairs for a Tacoma.

Have a 3rd Glenn, I have tortured it, I mean have best it up on a few hunts and it’s still solid. It has 98k on it, with no issues yet minus a few dents.

I find the 3rd Gen. to be a much better drive, on big hills it hunts for gears, but I’m over that and just smash the pedal.

Of the two, 3rd Gen. gets my vote.

auwardamn

FNG
Tacoma's hold value so well, and as you can see by other member's posts, they're reliable with only basic maintenance. The big 3 will be roomier, more powerful, and you will probably regret getting a Tacoma if you enjoy those things.

Ditt44

Lil-Rokslider
I bought a 2008 with 5k miles on it in 2009. TRD Sport 5 foot bed. Stock everything. I added a Ranch cap for $1,200 which was awesome for hunting purposes. I loved that truck. I wore out all four ball joints by driving across ditches and rutted corn fields setting up geese layouts and heavily rutted fracking roads in Potter County PA deer and bear hunting over several years. I suppose I had that coming. It pulled a 12 foot dual axle trailer with quads and goose gear easily. Gas mileage was decent, better than 23 mpg on long interstate drives and roughly 20+ commuting. I bought it for $23,000 and drove it to 162,000 miles and traded it in for $13,500 in 2019 for a new TRD model.

The 2008 had more leg room and more head room. I prefer the 2019 though because I got leather seats because I wanted heated seats to be more comfortable on long drives due to lower back issues and to keep the wife happy in the winter. The only thing on the post-2019 models are the power seats, which would help me adjust a bit more for my back on longer drives. I like the technology package as well but have no use for the sun roof but had no choice on that. For my uses, it has been great. Due to COVID I have been working from home since March of 2020 and as of today, some 4.5 years after I bought it, I am still UNDER 20,000 miles and the trade in value: $41,000. List was at about $43,000. How can you beat that?

Grant K

FNG
I've got an 06 with 328K on it, in that time I've worn out pretty much all the suspension components but zero engine work or repairs required, it's not fast or flashy but I can't bring myself to upgrade, it's as close to bulletproof as a truck gets.

I bought a 2008 with 5k miles on it in 2009. TRD Sport 5 foot bed. Stock everything. I added a Ranch cap for $1,200 which was awesome for hunting purposes. I loved that truck. I wore out all four ball joints by driving across ditches and rutted corn fields setting up geese layouts and heavily rutted fracking roads in Potter County PA deer and bear hunting over several years. I suppose I had that coming. It pulled a 12 foot dual axle trailer with quads and goose gear easily. Gas mileage was decent, better than 23 mpg on long interstate drives and roughly 20+ commuting. I bought it for $23,000 and drove it to 162,000 miles and traded it in for $13,500 in 2019 for a new TRD model.

The 2008 had more leg room and more head room. I prefer the 2019 though because I got leather seats because I wanted heated seats to be more comfortable on long drives due to lower back issues and to keep the wife happy in the winter. The only thing on the post-2019 models are the power seats, which would help me adjust a bit more for my back on longer drives. I like the technology package as well but have no use for the sun roof but had no choice on that. For my uses, it has been great. Due to COVID I have been working from home since March of 2020 and as of today, some 4.5 years after I bought it, I am still UNDER 20,000 miles and the trade in value: $41,000. List was at about $43,000. How can you beat that?
I researched a loaded TRD Sport with leather and every option and this is what NADA says:
1689866544100.png

Ditt44

Lil-Rokslider
Tell my dealer and bank that :) or don't, actually. But as of late-May that's the numbers I was floated.