Home made bacon

GSPHUNTER

WKR
I started making my own bacon about ten years ago, it's pretty simple but does take some time. I use pork bellies, which is normal for bacon. After I put on the kosher salt, brown sugar, cure and pure maple syrup, I put it in large baggies and let it sit in frig. for 14 days, turning every day. Then I take it out rinse it real good, dry it with paper towels then back in frig. on wire racks for two more days. I warm up the smoker and add maple wood, I use biscuits in my Bradley smoker. Once it has reach 150 regs. its done. then I put it back in baggies and back in frig. overnight. I slice some thick and some but most of it thiner. I save the scraps for use in cooking various dishes such as home made beens. It's perfectly safe to eat once it comes out of smoker, but like most people I cook just to get that extra flavor you get from the cooking process, plus it smells so good when cooking. Anyone one else make their own bacon?

TX_Diver

WKR
Yes! I use the recipe from amazingribs.com and it is 10x better than store bacon. I have 10 bellies in my freezer currently to cure now that my hunts for the year are done.

PUIF3Qwh.jpg

jiadrmGh.jpg

OP
GSPHUNTER

GSPHUNTER

WKR
Yes! I use the recipe from amazingribs.com and it is 10x better than store bacon. I have 10 bellies in my freezer currently to cure now that my hunts for the year are done.

PUIF3Qwh.jpg

jiadrmGh.jpg
Looks fantastic. Everyone agrees it's much better than store bought.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Yes I do, but it's not much of any savings, that's for sure.......unless you have access to cheap pork bellies. After buying the bellies, the ingredients, charcoal, smoking wood, and all the time it takes.......it's about twice what I can get decent store bought bacon for.

bat-cave

WKR
My recipe is very similar to GspHunter's ... though I like adding some some crushed Black Pepper. I've also been toying with Jalapeño juice to add a touch of heat, but haven't really gotten to where I want it just yet ... experimenting is fun. I slice it up into 1 Lb packages that I vacuum seal and pop into the freezer and then it's easy to pull one out and drop into the frying pan or oven depending upon how quickly i need my fix,

Attachments

• IMG_0458.jpeg
    IMG_0458.jpeg
    443.4 KB · Views: 15

svivian

WKR
Im going to ask an ignorant question.... what is the best way to slice bacon besides buying a slicer. Im guessing its the age old answer of simply a sharp knife but if you guys have tips and tricks im all ears. I have two 400lb sows waiting to be butchered in a month or two.

Last edited:
OP
GSPHUNTER

GSPHUNTER

WKR
To slice it by hand, put it in the freezer until it starts to get rather stiff. It's best to put it in the freezer in sizes which will make it easier to slice before it starts to soften up. You can also put a second cutting board on top of slab to use as a guide for consistent thickness of slices. Of course like anything else, a good sharp knife is a must. I got a rather inexpensive slicer on amazon for around $80. It suits my needs just fine.

I started making my own bacon about ten years ago, it's pretty simple but does take some time. I use pork bellies, which is normal for bacon. After I put on the kosher salt, brown sugar, cure and pure maple syrup, I put it in large baggies and let it sit in frig. for 14 days, turning every day. Then I take it out rinse it real good, dry it with paper towels then back in frig. on wire racks for two more days. I warm up the smoker and add maple wood, I use biscuits in my Bradley smoker. Once it has reach 150 regs. its done. then I put it back in baggies and back in frig. overnight. I slice some thick and some but most of it thiner. I save the scraps for use in cooking various dishes such as home made beens. It's perfectly safe to eat once it comes out of smoker, but like most people I cook just to get that extra flavor you get from the cooking process, plus it smells so good when cooking. Anyone one else make their own bacon?
We raise a few pigs each year and make our own. I use pretty much the same recipe and it comes out amazing. I've bought a few pork bellies and its good, just not as good as home grown. My buddy took a piece of venison loin and used the same maple recipe on it while making bacon. Came out great like "canadian bacon"

TX_Diver

WKR
Im going to ask an ignorant question.... what is the best way to slice bacon besides buying a slicer. Im guessing its the age old answer of simply a sharp knife but if you guys have tips and tricks im all ears. I have two 400lb sows waiting to be butchered in a month or two.

I use one of these. There are cheaper and more expensive ones out there but they work well for bacon slicing and briskets, etc.

bat-cave

WKR
It's actually a good question. I have a slicer, but still need to break it down to fit it into my slicer as I opted to not invest in a larger unit given I don't use it enough to justify a larger on / storage. I actually use my brisket knife (inexpensive Victorinox). The slices are generally a bit thicker as a result, but I like my bacon a bit thicker anyway.

I made bacon with black bear backstrap last week.

The end result was delicious, but a bit chewy for the wife and kiddos as whole strips of bacon. Chopped into bacon bits in eggs and other stuff, it’s been well received.

My big chief smoker would only get it up to 138 F internal temp, so I pulled it and stuck it in the oven intending to get it to 145-150 F to kill the Trichinosis. But i got distracted (2 kids under 4 years old) and let it get to 170ish F. Probably didnt help the toughness?

NRA4LIFE

WKR
Just did an 11 lb belly I got from the old Cash and Carry (different name now) out here. Got it for $3.15 a lb. I only do mine to 127 degrees (according to the brown book of knowledge). I use Buckboard Bacon Cure plus some pepper and brown sugar. It is really good.

lamarclark09

Lil-Rokslider
It is actually a life-saving hack. Instead of buying bacon of such quality and taste it’s so great to actually make it on your own. I know that once you start making it on your own there’s no going back. I am gonna get the pork bellies and try your method soon.