Home made bacon

Azone

WKR
@GSPHUNTER I take it your curing with an equilibrium method? I have a belly from Costco cut into four pieces currently curing via equilibrium method at 2.250 percent salt, that is kosher and cure 1 combined for that total. Brown sugar and maple syrup make up the rest of the mix as well. I’m considering coating one of them in crushed red pepper before smoking and one in black pepper and leave the last two naked. What temp are you smoking at? What is the limit time wise before it becomes over smoked?

OP
GSPHUNTER

GSPHUNTER

WKR
@GSPHUNTER I take it your curing with an equilibrium method? I have a belly from Costco cut into four pieces currently curing via equilibrium method at 2.250 percent salt, that is kosher and cure 1 combined for that total. Brown sugar and maple syrup make up the rest of the mix as well. I’m considering coating one of them in crushed red pepper before smoking and one in black pepper and leave the last two naked. What temp are you smoking at? What is the limit time wise before it becomes over smoked?
I smoke at 210 degs. until bacon is at 150. time in smoker varies depending on ambient temp. I have never had an issue with over smoking mine. I like a milder smoke flavor and like I said it has never been an issue.

NRA4LIFE

WKR
I start mine at 135 and then late in the smoke around 150, nothing ever higher as the fat starts to render. It takes awhile longer, but worth it IMO.