Hoodlum Pack

Ok......so being that I'm having a hard time deciding on my next pack to go on the Duplex UL I ordered last week, anyone have some real life experience with the Hoodlum you care to share? I've narrowed it down to this and the Reckoning. There's a ton of reviews out there on the Reckoning, but very little on the Hoodlum. I've seen Jordans review and Aron's review. Anyone else?

To me size matters. Comparatively speaking, I love my DT1 bag because of the size and versatility. I get 10 days worth with room to spare and just mounted it on a Tactical frame.
I don't need anything bigger.

The Hoodlum and Reckoning are a tad smaller. My buddy has a Reckoning and I'm very familiar with that pack. Let's hear the real world review on the Hoodlum.

I too am looking into the hoodlum, I just wish they had a version that was closer to 5000 CI for the main bag to save weight and still be able to add a guide lid and some pockets for organization. I looked at the reckoning but I don’t like the slotted pockets

Sadler

WKR
I’m a huge fan of the Hoodlum. I had the reckoning a few years back but got rid of it because I didn’t like how you couldn’t close the side pockets. That’s the only reason really. Other than that I really liked it but if it rained or anything(I hunt north idaho and eastern Washington), whatever I had in those pockets would potentially get wet so when I saw the Hoodlum I picked it up right away. I love the side pockets because they zip close and that’s where I store everything I need to get to real fast like my puffy, rain gear, fleece, food for the day, TP or whatever else I didn’t want to dig out of the bag. It’s also where I put all my day hunting stuff so I can keep the main bag empty and ready for meat. The Hoodlum is plenty big for me but my longest trip with it so far has only been a few days but it held three days of gear with plenty of room to spare. My only complaint about it was that the main compartment side access zippers didn’t go all the way to the top of the collar. I didn’t really care about that until I was on a steep side hill by myself trying to jam an elk hind quarter into it from the top of the bag (I suppose I could have deboned it and would have been fine but I was wanting those marrow bones). That’s where the reckoning shined because you could just lay it open and set whatever in there just fine and zip it shut. So I got a hold of @pods8 and had him extend those side access zippers on my Hoodlum all the way to the top so now I can unzip the center section between the two zippers and lay the Hoodlum open and never have to worry about top loading it again. I’ll post some pics of it later. He did a great job. Another thing I like about the Hoodlum is the up and over the top strap. I don’t remember the reckoning having that option and it’s how I hold down my spotting scope now. Pretty convenient. Another unique thing it has that the reckoning doesn’t have that plastic tad/webbing adapter on the bottom of it that accepts their gun bearer system so you can strap your rifle to your bag when hiking in/out. Anyways, that’s my experience with it so far. Hope that helps!

CB4

WKR
I have the hoodlum and my buddy has the reckoning. I went with the hoodlum because of the zippered side pockets. Only draw back is that the zippers don’t go all the way up. Sadler had a really good fix for that using Pods8. I am thinking about doing the same thing but only one side not both so the snow collar can still be cinched down all the way. Here is a picture of mine with a bane attached as a lid.

Attachments

• E4C2D9A5-5E0E-4E34-A6D3-61E45BB2B7AA.jpeg
    E4C2D9A5-5E0E-4E34-A6D3-61E45BB2B7AA.jpeg
    377 KB · Views: 56