Hoosier national Forrest

Bkimble

FNG
Anybody have any luck hunting Hoosier national Forrest in Indiana… might be planning a trip in 2025 somewhere in Midwest and liked the looks of this national Forrest

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JohnsIsl

FNG
Classified Approved
Not looking to get into a debate on the subject… but last time I was at HNF there was a huge amount of deforestation going on. That was 6-7 years ago and apparently it is still going on.

OP…I have no experience with HNF so am no help but depending on what Johnslsl is talking about it may be worth a look.

@Johnslsl….what do you mean when you say deforestation? Land clearing and conversion? Insect and disease related tree mortality? Clear cutting? Land sales and development?

JohnsIsl

FNG
Classified Approved
This is the most research I have done on the subject. I was just speaking from experience. It looked like clear cutting.

Apparently logging and some forest service plan.

OP
B

Bkimble

FNG
Thanks fellas, we are gonna plan a trip out this summer and next summer to check some places out if anyone is interested I’ll let ya know how it looks from the logging

Thanks for the link Johnslsl, interesting reading.

Good luck Bkimble and keep us posted. Sounds like a great landscape to explore.

JasonT

Lil-Rokslider
Where are you traveling in from and do you know what county you are wanting to check out? I live within an hour from sections of it but never hunted it. Lots of hunters but lots of ground.

OP
B

Bkimble

FNG
Im coming from wv it’s about 4.5 hrs away… this summer we will mainly just be driving around deciding what area looks good then following summer put some boots on the ground and put some cams out…

Theres still plenty of forest there. Like A LOT. Its pretty steep for whitetail country…be ready for a good drag or quartering it up.

OP
B

Bkimble

FNG
A lot of the ground I hunt in wv is like 3500 ft elevation so I’m assuming there isn’t anything close to that in Hoosier but I be wrong but yea quartering up is my preferred option when hunting national Forrest in wv

High and steep are not necessarily the same thing. Sometimes the “hills” in Appalachia wear me out more than the “mountains” out west. But if thats where you are coming from its probably very similar terrain.

OP
B

Bkimble

FNG
From what I can see from looking at logging records it looks like the majority of the cutting happened in mostly in the southern part of state close to border kind of around I 64 and south.. is there anyone that can verify that… also it looks like just select portions in those parts..

JohnsIsl

FNG
Classified Approved
That would align with my experience years ago. I never made it more north.

Also, given how long ago some of this was… I wasn’t suggesting that these areas should be avoided. In fact, it might create some interesting lines of sight.

My point was to draw awareness to what was going on so you could make decisions with that in mind.

OP
B

Bkimble

FNG
Absolutely I still plan to check these areas

6-7 year old clear cut... Im sitting that thing the whole rut. Browse, cover, and if water near by it is a magnet. Clear cutting is not the death to forest. It is a reset for species that are not shade tolerant (oaks, hickory). I have made som huge messes in cuts (digging tops all over and disturbing the soil, cutting absolutely every thing down and treating undesirables, burning several years in a row) got drug into a meeting getting reprimanded that the public was in an out cry about it and wanted me to be removed. 7-10-15-20 years later they are the best stands on a 9000 acre state forest.