NM Elk muzzleloader options

Hey guys…

Well I drew the coveted Unit 13 elk tag in the Gila National Forrest. This is my first time hunting NM and I’m pumped to say the least.
I am booked with an outfitter but want to get some advice on muzzleloader options.
Most know that NN has banned scopes on their muzzleloaders.
I’ve been looking at getting a new .50 for the trip.
I have the option of using their best of the west gun but I rather use my own gun that I’m familiar with.

What are you guys suggesting for open sights, peep systems etc. What kind of range do you think I’ll have now. Thanks

Elktipper

FNG
I own a knight ultralite that I procured to hunt Washington State. I upgraded the sights to a peep and was very accurate on the range at 100 yards. I didn't work the gun past that point for the hunt I had in mind, but I am sure with load prep and practice it would likely be capable of a but further distances.

Ditt44

Lil-Rokslider
I have a TC Encore that I would have put a peep on if I went with the ML hunt in New Mexico this year, I went rifle land-owner because of mounting physical challenges. If I am physically able next year, I'll try for ML. Shooting a ML over 100 yards with open sights is going to be a challenge and a peep sight will greatly enhance your odds. I think the biggest question is what ML are you looking at as that might guide the suggestions for which peep sight is the best option... at least as far as if/how many holes you may need to tap etc.

I have looked at probably every possible peep out there. A couple to consider:
Skinner sights that might work on various makes/models - they were willing to craft a special peep for my percussion .32 Cherokee...
Williams sights are varied in options, you gotta dig through them
Lyman's are more traditional fitting but may work well on some modern guns
Marbles are good options, especially the 'Bullseye' if you have a dovetail mount or are crafty

A ton of mind-boggling options out there, start with which rifle and see what is compatible and you think may work for your eye. I had gone thru countless web forums all over the place, mainly looking to deal with my traditional TC's and then the Encore. I would also say that if you go with a fiber optic front sight, I like green better than red, it seems to hold more light at dusk and dawn than the red.

As for range, I don't think I would attempt a shot beyond 200 in any circumstance and even over 150 for myself, seems a more logical limit. Also, finding that powder load that you can accurately shoot over 100. I use 100 grains of pellet, two-50s, as it's 1-inch at 100 yards via scope. It's tempting to try the 150 load but that's rough shooting and something in the 120 range might be better. Obviously what your gun likes best with what bullet etc.

Also, another hack... yellow tinted glasses, always give me a more crisp and brighter 'eye' at early/late minutes.

My personal favorite is CVA and would either of these: Last time i was in the market for a smoke pole i handled them all and being a previous CVA user I was definitely leaning that way but wanted to give TC and the others i chance but the triggers on the TC and traditions were garbage. Settled on the CVA V2 LR that comes stock with a match grade trigger (3-6.75lbs), mine came out of the box measured right at 3lbs.

Ditt44

Lil-Rokslider
If you could get one of the Skinner sights to match up, that might be a great combo for you. They had been very responsive to any questions I had, give them a call/email if you are curious about their options. The ability to swap out apertures gives you a lot of flexibility.

This one is good and not very expensive. My brother just put it on his muzzleloader and was hitting a milk jug consistently at 150 yds. He went to 200 yds and was pretty accurate with a good rest.

Attachments

• output_image1682017864959.jpeg
    output_image1682017864959.jpeg
    609 KB · Views: 46
I'm sure if enough muzzy hunters in our state complain loud enough, our liberal game dept will start putting limitations on compound bows as well

OP
D
I own a knight ultralite that I procured to hunt Washington State. I upgraded the sights to a peep and was very accurate on the range at 100 yards. I didn't work the gun past that point for the hunt I had in mind, but I am sure with load prep and practice it would likely be capable of a but further distances.
I keep reading great things on this setup. Im considering biting the bullet and trying one. Any pics of your peep setup? Or brand of it? Thanks

erle1139

FNG
I'm in the same boat. Drew a NM Unit 15 MZ tag and I'm starting from scratch. I went with the CVA Optima V2 and changed out the sights with the Williams Western Precision, the green fiber optic vertical front sight post. I've only shot 50 yards so far getting it on target, but I may switch the insert out for one of the finer wire ones. The peep sight is definitely an upgrade over the stock sights and I was touching shots at 50 yards. I'll have to wait for it to cool down some before I get back out there. Its been a few years since I shot a muzzle loader and dang...I forgot how hard those things kick.

A recommendation for the guys new to the muzzleloader with open sights. Get your load figured out with a scope on before shifting to the open sights. No sense wasting time with a load that doesn’t group well and not knowing it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kurts86

WKR
The best thing you can do in a no scope muzzleloader state is to buy multiple front and rear sight options and figure out what you shoot the best under hunting lighting conditions. You are typically NOT going to be limited by the mechanical accuracy of the gun but rather how well you can shoot it.

I would recommend getting the Williams western precision peep sight and globe combo, a fiber optic front sight and multiple sized peep apertures.

should of never been allowed to have scopes on muzzys! ridiculous. Whole point of muzzy hunting was to be a primitive way. Wanna use scopes thats what rifles are for
That's an opinion. Before scopes I witnessed far more injured animals, than with scopes. And this at less than 100 yards. If a guy wants to go primitive, we do have primitive only muzzleloader hunts in certain units. Should we ban range finders next too? Compound bows since I can kill over 100 yards with my D350? How bout long range rifle hunting? Or sniping. Should that be banned because it isn't someone else's preferred method of take? Where do we draw the line?

UThunter6

FNG
Having the option to use there best of the west gun, is a hard option to beat. But with no scopes, you can get a good cva accura or optima and get good results to 150 yds or so.

I think it’s a good thing to take the scopes off of muzzleloaders. I saw a lot of wounded antelope on my sons hunt last year because of long range shots. Just because a hunter has a muzzleloader that has the ability to shoot 300+ yards doesn’t mean they should but they do. Yes, animals will be wounded with open sights as well. I don’t believe in any long range shooting at an animal whether it be bow, muzzleloader, or rifle. They each have their limitations and should be shot according to those limitations. But, that’s just me and my opinion and I won’t force that on anyone.

Hey guys…

Well I drew the coveted Unit 13 elk tag in the Gila National Forrest. This is my first time hunting NM and I’m pumped to say the least.
I am booked with an outfitter but want to get some advice on muzzleloader options.
Most know that NN has banned scopes on their muzzleloaders.
I’ve been looking at getting a new .50 for the trip.
I have the option of using their best of the west gun but I rather use my own gun that I’m familiar with.

What are you guys suggesting for open sights, peep systems etc. What kind of range do you think I’ll have now. Thanks
Williams peep sights and keep the range within reason.

I have 2 CVA muzzleloaders (Accura V2 and MR-X) set up w. the Williams Precision rear peep/front globe insert sight for a bull elk hunt in my home state. Both muzzies handle and shoot well at a decent price. Currently, dialing my bullet/powder loads for both. So far, Thor Hammer BT 300 grs (.499) for the Accura and (.500) for the MR-X over 75 grs (by weight) of BH209 shoot well (1.0-1.5" groups @ 50 yds). Maybe bump up to 80 grs after the next range session. Of interest to many, I first tried the Williams fiber optic front sight (FOS, green) in combo with the rear peep. Looked good at 25 yds. but at 50 yds. it completely covered the target. Personally, not good enough accuracy for me to shoot at an elk. Switched to the Ballistic Reticle insert (with fine crosshairs) and shooting was much more accurate. Next range session looking to stretch things out to 100 yds.. If my eyes can handle it and under ideal conditions, I'd likely shoot open sights no further than 75-125 yds. at an elk.