Horn Hunter Full Curl mods

maverick351

Lil-Rokslider
does anyone know what the weight difference is between the last year model and new 2014? And also did they change anything else

It's not hypalon that I know of. It's a type of "air mesh" over foam padding. Feels about 1-1.5" thick foam. It's very comfortable and doesn't slip at all. Here are a few close ups. Hope you can see what I'm describing. View attachment 16810
Hum, A step in the wrong direction IMO.
I've got a couple packs with that kind of mesh on the waist belt & I can't stand it.
With heavy loads, I can't get it tight enough to not slip over my hip bones.
Weight all shifts to the shoulder straps.

My favorite waist belts have a fairly sticky friction material and dense foam.
Hunt'nFish

Olydog09

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Full Curl that I put a Kifaru Bikini belt on. I had larger sleeves sewed in to accept the Full Curl Frame. I also have Kifaru stays so I can run the Kifaru stays or the Full Curl frame. I like the Kifaru stays better. I just attached a wooden cross frame to the top of the stays so that they would stay in the right position. I will say the Kifaru belt makes a world of difference on the HH. My only complaint on this pack is that there is not enough padding in the shoulder straps for my liking. I am kicking around some ideas on how to improve that. If anyone has a good idea feel free to post it up.

OP
Wileycoyote

Wileycoyote

Lil-Rokslider
A few people have asked how to attach the belt, so here are some pics

I used some high dollar camo tape to make a channel on the frame above and below the belt straps

Then I ran the the staps back over themselves and threaded the ends back through the ladder locks

Then I folded the backpiece back over the belt and secured it with the velcro strip, even though this looks redneck, it holds the belt in place and actually lets it articulate up and down and it hasnt worked loose on me yet

I put an oineros valley mean pad on to give it the al a kifaru grip

The back view

The loaded and now usable without severe rubbing view

ckkone

Lil-Rokslider
Horn Hunter is local to me and they had a parking lot sale today, I was able to buy one of the newer style hip belts for $20. I got it installed and modified it to fit my Glock 20.

F14DFA22-6C3A-4E50-A93B-90233C5A89AD_zpseyksrft0.jpg

76878ED2-6725-48AD-B075-35732F625113_zpskfsqsmtc.jpg

B902D614-75A5-4413-B105-020F8FEB93FD_zpsyjpbqxnq.jpg

OP
Wileycoyote

Wileycoyote

Lil-Rokslider
Looks like a nice improvement over the old style. The new frames have adjustable torso shoulder harness now too. The side pockets now have a outer zip so the wings are more user friendly now! Glad they finally listened, I called them with some concerns I had when I first bought it and their customer service treated me like shit and didn't act like they cared about my opinions on some improvements and features I thought it needed. I have since put a Kifaru duplex belt on mine and it is real nice now!

jody4

FNG
Wiley how did you go about fitting the duplex belt? I am thinking of trying the same thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

interesting thread, I have the 2014 HH combo pack as well and may try some hack/mods to it as well. first is to cut the frame stay down 1/2" at a time to get it a bit more to my liking, then wrap it with hocky tape to get it quiet.

OP
Wileycoyote

Wileycoyote

Lil-Rokslider
The duplex belt I bought had three delta straps per side ,so I put two ladder locks on the little side wings on each side to run the straps through. Then I put one on each side below the existing shoulder harness ladder lock. It's redundant but I wanted the belt to be held the way it was originally intended. It's a night and day difference kifaru's belts work so well. This is the only pic I have but I could take more if needed. It was a lot of material to go through with my machine though.
b7438afaaba4315132b7ad60394b3d42.jpg

jody4

FNG
Wiley that looks great. I'm curious if you used a regular sewing machine or if you have a commercial machine?

OP
Wileycoyote

Wileycoyote

Lil-Rokslider
Wiley that looks great. I'm curious if you used a regular sewing machine or if you have a commercial machine?

My machine is a Viking husqvarna 6020. It's old but it will do some fairly heavy material with a new sharp denim needle.

jody4

FNG
Thank you sounds like I may have to see about getting it done.