Is the Full Curl Horn Hunter to heavy?

MOA Zach

FNG
I'm curious if anyone else thinks that the Horn Hunter pack, in comparison to other similar packs, is much heavier. I've hunted with mine for 2 years now every time i put it on i want to take it off. The hip straps are uncomfortable and the pockets and pack seem like they cant hold much with how it's designed.
One positive i will say is that the pack frame and how it hold meat without slipping is nice.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230614_161924_Instagram.jpg
    Screenshot_20230614_161924_Instagram.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 51

tjt0307

FNG
I’ve hunted with my full curl system for 6 years and I think I’m going to upgrade to a Kifaru or Stone Glacier. It’s too heavy for what it offers and my pack failed on me last season leaving me with one shoulder strap.

I'm curious if anyone else thinks that the Horn Hunter pack, in comparison to other similar packs, is much heavier. I've hunted with mine for 2 years now every time i put it on i want to take it off. The hip straps are uncomfortable and the pockets and pack seem like they cant hold much with how it's designed.
One positive i will say is that the pack frame and how it hold meat without slipping is nice.
I used one for a few years, it wasn’t too heavy, but was absolutely heavy and clunky, but it carried a heavy load well, and that was the biggest thing for me. They are fairly uncomfortable in hunting mode, but it’s still my favorite “budget meat hauler”

Now I’m way too spoiled, we have so many good options, a used exo on the cheaper side is a great option, but my k4 is the best of all worlds, comfortable in hunting mode, and a beast with a heavy load, but I still very much appreciate what horn hunter offers… the quality and comfort isn’t really great, but where you really suffer is with a heavy load and they did that well.

I went from a kuiu to the horn hunter and I liked the horn hunter way, way better, even at 3x the weight 😂 if you can’t justify an exo or kifaru/stone glacier, the horn hunter is still a pretty good option imo… carry spare buckles, because they are a pretty common fail point with heavy loads

gledeasy

Lil-Rokslider
My first pack was the full curl. There were design aspects that I liked about it. Good pack for on a budget. However, there is a night and day difference when comparing heavy loads to other packs.

Dad has one and I have an Exo… it’s a decent pack for the price but it is heavy and doesn’t carry weight near as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Novashooter

Lil-Rokslider
I realize I'm a little late for this, but for anyone reading, I've been quite happy with my Horn Hunter full curl. I didn't get the full system. Looking on the website, today they call it the full curl combo. It is the pack frame, the little daypack, and I also bought the canvas meat bag. I have no idea what generation it is, it's at least 6-7 years old.

For what I paid, I don't regret it at all. I guess I don't have a lot of experience with the top of the top end pack frames out there, but I sure wouldn't call the Horn Hunter heavy. It's listed as 5.7 pounds. I'm pretty sure I've eaten meals that weighed 5.7 pounds. I'm anything but averaged sized at 6'5", and about 270 pounds. I was able to adjust mine to fit me with no issues. I had no issues with comfort. I don't keep much in the hip pockets, I'd rather there just be no pockets. That goes for any backpack. I want as little bulk on the hips as possible. It carries gear just fine. When it comes to carrying animals, I have no complaints. No failures, and I don't see how any pack could have done better. Cinched down, this pack puts the weight as close to your back as you possibly can, and nothing shifts, it is rock solid.

Would I buy a Horn Hunter today? It would really depend. A lot of those top end packs like Kuiu, Mystery Ranch, etc. you are looking at $600 today. A Horn Hunter combo is about $300, and still made in the USA. If I was doing some serious back country stuff like bighorn sheep where you are already rich, what's another $300? For a normal guy hunting deer, bear, elk, etc. I just don't see spending that kind of money. The Horn Hunter will haul as much as you can fit on them. I don't know what that canvas bag full of boned out elk meat weights, but it's over 50 pounds. It worked fine for me, and I couldn't have asked for more. It was rock solid.

wewarev

FNG
I've had my HH Full Curl for 10 years now and plan on using it this fall. I wear it almost weekly on ruck hikes with 35 to 60 lbs. I've packed out elk with 100 lbs loads and worn it on every elk hunt (5) I've been on. I can't justify spending $600+ for a few pounds of savings. Call me cheap, but I thought the $300 I spent 10 years ago was worth it.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk