Hornady buys Thompson Center

WCB

WKR
Hard part about an ammo and firearm manufacturer being tied directly with each other is lack of being able to collab with other firearm or ammo manufacturers. In reality a new caliber or say a new technology can really benefit from being able to send out and receive feedback from various arms manufacturers and get a good sample.

Unless they literally totally reinvent TC there is zero that would be interesting about it.

TaperPin

WKR
All the lucrative military contracts and ability to price gouge us, has Hornady fat with cash. It wouldn’t surprise me if they end up buying a few companies. Leupold’s new CEO is proud of focusing on returns to shareholders over everything else, so that company would gladly sell. Hornady might end up owning half a dozen rifle brands on sale for cheap that have been hurt with years of high ammo and reloading prices.

Hodgdon and Lapua are also fat with cash - they might as well buy whatever isn’t going to be owned by Hornady. That should cut down competition and make our purchasing decisions less complicated. Lol

4cMuley

Lil-Rokslider
All the lucrative military contracts and ability to price gouge us, has Hornady fat with cash. It wouldn’t surprise me if they end up buying a few companies. Leupold’s new CEO is proud of focusing on returns to shareholders over everything else, so that company would gladly sell. Hornady might end up owning half a dozen rifle brands on sale for cheap that have been hurt with years of high ammo and reloading prices.

Hodgdon and Lapua are also fat with cash - they might as well buy whatever isn’t going to be owned by Hornady. That should cut down competition and make our purchasing decisions less complicated. Lol
I’d venture to guess that there’s been more firearms purchased in the last 4 years than any other 4 year period in history. Gun manufacturers SHOULD be doing ok

PistolPete

Lil-Rokslider
I read TP's comment as the military contracts price gouging us, the taxpayer. Tons of examples of that.

I know it's too much to ask, but a stainless micro action, with a decent OAL for 223, would be great. I'd also take the ARCs In an appropriate length action...

Can you please give examples of Hornady price gouging?

Axlrod

WKR
I read TP's comment as the military contracts price gouging us, the taxpayer. Tons of examples of that.

I know it's too much to ask, but a stainless micro action, with a decent OAL for 223, would be great. I'd also take the ARCs In an appropriate length action...
He says "and ability to price gouge us". Not that I can accurately translate for him. He is going for the record number of posts for someone in their first year here. Must think there is a prize for it or something. And the answer is, no he can't give any examples.

Last edited:
I hope they bring the Icon back, I never had one but I wanted one. Seemed like quality product that had a lot of great features that went disastrously unnoticed. I remember it was one of the first factory chambered 6.5 creedmoor hunting rifles. I looked all over back then but couldn’t find one.

KenLee

WKR
I hope they bring the Icon back, I never had one but I wanted one. Seemed like quality product that had a lot of great features that went disastrously unnoticed. I remember it was one of the first factory chambered 6.5 creedmoor hunting rifles. I looked all over back then but couldn’t find one.
The cheap Compass and Venture didn't really get noticed for their great accuracy until after production stopped. Venture even had a nice stock. If the Venture had a bolt lock, I would have bought a dozen at the cheap price and rebate.

TaperPin

WKR
Hodgdon, Hornady and Lapua have all made comments on the large international military contracts that are driving the “unprecedented demand”.

When a company gets short term contracts and makes the decision to give us a trickle and at higher prices than we were paying not too long ago, that’s price gouging to me.

If you think the prices and supply of reloading equipment is normal, then I must be on a different planet. Lol

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
Hodgdon, Hornady and Lapua have all made comments on the large international military contracts that are driving the “unprecedented demand”.

When a company gets short term contracts and makes the decision to give us a trickle and at higher prices than we were paying not too long ago, that’s price gouging to me.

If you think the prices and supply of reloading equipment is normal, then I must be on a different planet. Lol

Again- can you give examples of Hornady price gouging? I am getting the same Hornady bullets for about the same price accounting for inflation as I was two years ago. Nosler on the other hand, is price gouging. Partitions and Accubonds have doubled it more in price in the last 3 years.

Unclecroc

FNG

I don’t drink hornadaddy kewl aid, but as of late hornady is by far the fairest bullets in price along with the best in availability. I am a nosler ballistic tip and varmageddon fan for varmint hunting and I have switched to vmaxes exclusively because they’re available and they don’t cost $36 per 100.

yeti12

FNG

I have boxes of eldm 6.5 creed from 2017ish with price stickers that were 26.99. I just ordered 12 more boxes for this month that I paid just over $32 a box for. While I know it doesn't take $32 to produce that box of ammo you really can't find any ammo cheaper that's of equal quality.