Hot Weather Backpacking Shirt

Benjblt

WKR
So I'm going on a backpacking trip (7 days) in the summer. I've always wanted a long sleeve hot weather shirt that provided some sun protection. I've looked at some of the non-hunting brands but think they look sloppy. Columbia offers a lot of them. I don't like the really baggy look. Any suggestions? I'm looking for something that would look good at work in a business casual setting but would work for a backpacking trip or hunting trip in hot weather. My number one contender is the FL Ranger. I'm 5' 8" 173lbs and semi athletic. I have some muscle but I'm not huge. Has anyone had experience with this shirt? Would it work for these applications? Suggestions on size? I'm interested in any other suggestions. Note that I've tried Kuiu's tiburon and didn't love it. (love the pants though)

JRMiller

WKR
Not sure about style but the one thing I feel UA did right was the Coldgear line. It’s great in the heat, feels like AC in your shirt

Poser

WKR
I’ve been using the BD Alpenglow “Pro” sun hoody this spring and it is awesome. Vented armpits, generous hood designed to fit over a helmet, and a chest zipper. The regular Apenglow lacks the vented armpits and zipper and felt tight around the neck to me. I also tired on the OR and ArcTerx and like the cut of the BD much better.

summer long sleeves are an odd duck with fit. like you say most are baggy. maybe look at what Cabelas or L.L. Bean has to offer... the summer fishing shirts come to mind.

jolemons

WKR
Colombia has one that is s much nicer fit. It's not a fishing shirt, but has the same Omnicool fabric. It is marketed as a hiking shirt. Duluth Trading has a nice line of shirts in their hot weather line. They call them Coolmax or something like that.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Columbis Silver Ridge 2.0 (plaid or plain) is excellent, cool, airy, dries super fast. The Silver Ridge Lite is nearly as good.

Last year's model Pine Ridge is also excellet but a different stretchy fabric, also cool and airy. They have a bunch at the Factory Outlet stores for $20-30 and honestly last year's color options were much better.

Youngbuck86

Lil-Rokslider
I have several of the kuiu thinner merino shirts. They are my go to in warm weather. 7 days will make you appreciate the merino.

Depends on where you are going but I bought a long sleeve hoodie from free fly (bamboo) clothign and wore it for 5 days in the Grand Canyon. I went fishing shirt to get a light color and it work really well. I still wear it in the field but after that trip and a couple of others it has stain or two and a small rip. Not bad but nothing you would want to wear at work.

Brendan

WKR
For work / dress shirts I love these. But, not casual / hiking material.

JNDEER

WKR
Some like wool and some don’t. I have never found a poly shirt (hunting or none) that works as well as wool. Few I know hate wool find the REI poly hiking shirts do ok. If you have never had wool try a smart wool or pic any top end hunting company and try there wool. I will wear a long sleeve wool in the summer and it will keep me cooler than a short sleeve.

if you spf- wear sunscreen.

TSAMP

WKR
I am your size and have a FL Ranger shirt. I got it as a Hot weather upland shirt. It isnt durable enough for that so I retired it within 15 min. It's in the classifieds now if ya want it.

JCohHTX

FNG
Orvis has some long sleeve fishing shirts that fit a little better than Columbia stuff.

OutdoorsMD

Lil-Rokslider
Minus 33 microweight woolverino. They are my favorite T-shirts hands down especially warm weather. Their merino stuff is amazing and on a whole different level compared to the hunting companies merino I have tried.

twall13

WKR
I sunburn easily being a redhead so I prefer a long sleeve shirt if I'm on an extended outing like a backpacking trip. My recommendation isn't exactly the category the OP is looking for but for a summer backpacking trip I want merino wool. I'm a fan of merino blends to add durability and the best I've found is the Voormi River Run Hoodie. It's a much lighter weight fabric than say First Lite's wick hoodie but holds up relatively well for the weight. I hadn't heard of Minus33's woolverino line but I had a wool shirt from them in the past that I really liked so I'll have to check them out. That said, the Voormi is a lighter weight material and would still be better in hot weather in my opinion.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

SMOKYMTN

WKR
I love my wool but if it’s really hot, bamboo is superior for me.

JNDEER

WKR
I love my wool but if it’s really hot, bamboo is superior for me.

Interesting. Can you elaborate more on why for you the bamboo is superior to wool in the heat?