Hot Weather Backpacking Shirt

SMOKYMTN

WKR
Interesting. Can you elaborate more on why for you the bamboo is superior to wool in the heat?
Merino is a true 12 month fabric, meaning it has a very wide climate range where it performs, however in those truly hot and humid scenarios I think bamboo performs better than merino head to head, which is why bamboo has taken off in the Southeast where Duck Camp and Free Fly are HQ’d.

My personal experience fishing inshore marshes in the south every year, typically in July and August, bamboo is highly breathable, more so than merino, buttery soft, wicking and has no smell. It also pills less and is very durable. It just performs very well in the Southeast where your typically in that 90-100 degree range and insufferable humidity, and direct sunlight. Checkout Free Fly as well. If you’re looking for a hot weather shirt, you can’t beat it.

Last edited:
I like my Free Fly and UA fishing hoodies. Not something I would consider business casual, but the fit is so much better than Colombia PFG. I think you’re on the right track with the Ranger. Not sure about fit, but the price isn’t pretty.

The Columbia PFG type button up fishing fishing shirts are kinda baggy, much different fit and material than the Silver Ridge 2.0 or Silver Ridge Lite shirts. Columbia's Tall size sleeves are generously long almost too long (2XL-Tall).

I just picked up a black PFG Hoodie 2XL-Tall at the outlet store for $9. It has the huge Columbia logo down one sleeve but I hear there's ways to remove it without damaging the material (acetone?).

Last edited:
I am looking for something similar for this summer, but I have long-ish arms and its been tough finding something that fits. Best so far (fit-wise) has been the Mountain Hardware Crater Lake hoodie although I question it's durability since the one I tried on was already pilling in the store.

Also on my list is the Simms Solarflex hoodie (tried on, sleeves are a hair too short) and the Stryker Hytide hoodie which I haven't been able to try on locally yet.

Edited to add: also looking for something not logo'd to death like a sponsored bass fisherman would wear. Looking at you Columbia PFG, HUK, and other fishing brands

Last edited:
I love my wool but if it’s really hot, bamboo is superior for me.

ive been wanting to try bamboo. saw it's only upf 20 though are you still getting burned? usually all my surf shirts are upf 50

I am looking for something similar for this summer, but I have long-ish arms and its been tough finding something that fits. Best so far (fit-wise) has been the Mountain Hardware Crater Lake hoodie although I question it's durability since the one I tried on was already pilling in the store.

Also on my list is the Simms Solarflex hoodie (tried on, sleeves are a hair too short) and the Stryker Hytide hoodie which I haven't been able to try on locally yet.

Edited to add: also looking for something not logo'd to death like a sponsored bass fisherman would wear. Looking at you Columbia PFG, HUK, and other fishing brands
quoting myself because I just found that a few companies are making merino sun hoodies, ranging from 100g to 180g and are 20-50 UPF. I have a BlackOvis 150g 1/2 zip hoodie sitting in my closet that I hadn't thought of to wear without a shirt underneath as a sun hoodie, but I sure am going to try it now!

☝️
This... Sitka Ascent... Or Core Lightweight Half Zip are my go to Hot Weather options.

BAKPAKR

WKR
I wore a FL Wick Quarter Zip on a sheep hunt a couple of years ago when the temps were getting close to 90. It worked great for me. Although it probably wouldn’t look that good in a business casual setting, I don’t know if any shirt would after being worn on a week long backpacking trip.

OP
Benjblt

Benjblt

WKR
I wore a FL Wick Quarter Zip on a sheep hunt a couple of years ago when the temps were getting close to 90. It worked great for me. Although it probably wouldn’t look that good in a business casual setting, I don’t know if any shirt would after being worn on a week long backpacking trip.
This was my secondary option. I have the short sleeve and it's great for hot weather.

Sent from my SM-F707U1 using Tapatalk

Columbia Silver Ridge 2.0 are easily business casual yet super breathable and durable for outdoors. Available in a bunch of colors, even some earthy tones for non-camo hunting. 25% off for Memorial day! Spend the $15 you save on having it taylored for fit if you want.
51195792282_fa26f3d6a5_c.jpg

Last edited:
OP
Benjblt

Benjblt

WKR
I sunburn easily being a redhead so I prefer a long sleeve shirt if I'm on an extended outing like a backpacking trip. My recommendation isn't exactly the category the OP is looking for but for a summer backpacking trip I want merino wool. I'm a fan of merino blends to add durability and the best I've found is the Voormi River Run Hoodie. It's a much lighter weight fabric than say First Lite's wick hoodie but holds up relatively well for the weight. I hadn't heard of Minus33's woolverino line but I had a wool shirt from them in the past that I really liked so I'll have to check them out. That said, the Voormi is a lighter weight material and would still be better in hot weather in my opinion.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
I'm going to check this one out.

Im looking for something similar because of a couple September hunts coming up in Nevada, and I saw that Vortex just released a sun hoodie.

I was looking at the Sitka Core Lightweight hoody, but didn’t see any UPF specs. I’m surprised it’s not a more popular feature of camo companies’ early season gear.

Im looking for something similar because of a couple September hunts coming up in Nevada, and I saw that Vortex just released a sun hoodie.

I was looking at the Sitka Core Lightweight hoody, but didn’t see any UPF specs. I’m surprised it’s not a more popular feature of camo companies’ early season gear.
dont see any upf rating but it does enough so i dont get sunburned. its my first choice for summer spot n stalk here in hawaii and ive used it the last couple years without getting burned.
Never heard of the Company but they offer fantastic clothing options. I might get one of their tops.
friend of mine uses there gear and likes it a lot. the Braken scorcher top is another nice hot weather top from another australian company but i dont see them in stock any more. its a softer nicer version of the tiburon top. think they recently changed owners though

Spent a few days last week in the AZ mountains looking at black bear. Primarily wore a Sitka Redline shirt which did damn well. Periodically would wear a Kuiu Tiburon and it was stifling in comparison. Was a bit surprised by that.