How can you be sure new boots fit properly?

I am about to order a pair of the Schnees Beartooth boots. I wear a size 11.5 in most shoes but in some other footwear, I use a 12 or 12.5. If I measure my foot on the Brannock Device it measures my foot at a hair over 11. The only shoes I have in 11 hurt my feet after a few hours. I feel uncomfortable putting on a new shoe and trying to decide whether it fits or not. I usually figure that out a few weeks later when breaking them in.

What do you y'all look for when trying on a new boot for the first time? Since you can only walk around in your house before returning them, how do you figure out if they fit?

dakotaduner

Lil-Rokslider
I hear you sometimes you just don't know until you have wore them in the field and put many miles on them.
I suspect that's why we see many used boots on here for sale

jmez

WKR
You don't. You won't know if they fit until you've hunted and packed with them.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

OP
HoughLePuff
You don't. You won't know if they fit until you've hunted and packed with them.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

I was afraid this would be the answer haha, thanks for the reply!

LostArra

WKR
I know if they don't feel good (or great) in my living room or the store they will never get a chance to pack an animal. "Breaking in" a boot is fine but I won't buy a boot that starts off not feeling perfect. Too many choices out there and they don't have to be expensive to work well.

I was afraid this would be the answer haha, thanks for the reply!
I have spoken with quite a number of boot salesmen, one thing I've come away with is "if they don't feel right in the store they won't feel right EVER" and that comes from HUNTING BOOT sales "guys" - don't let anyone blow smoke up your ass about breaking them in, getting them wet and wearing them until they're dry, all that crap BAKER'S BOOTS IN EUGENE OR. they have a website and I've steered quite a few guys to them, 100% have said they know their stuff - BRAND does not matter, FIT is EVERYTHING ...

How closely do you all watch for heel rise? I have an issue with the stiffer, heavier duty boots that seem like they creep up and down a bit.

I wonder if that isn’t something that will improve with break in. I think the issue is because the new boots are so stiff that they can’t flex with my foot. Something has to give and that is the heel lock.

Poser

WKR
How closely do you all watch for heel rise? I have an issue with the stiffer, heavier duty boots that seem like they creep up and down a bit.

I wonder if that isn’t something that will improve with break in. I think the issue is because the new boots are so stiff that they can’t flex with my foot. Something has to give and that is the heel lock.

I’ve never had this issue with hiking boots, but my experience with snowboard boots = heel lift is a huge no-no of fitting and something that will only continue to get worse as the boots breaks in. Your heels should stay put else you get rubbing and loss of performance on technical terrain I.e. you don’t want heel lift when your edging or front pointing and relying on your boot to keep you from falling down a rock face.
If heel lift is an ongoing problem for you with boot fit, there are some fitting accessories/inserts you can buy that should help lock your heel in.

TBHasler

WKR
I’ve never had this issue with hiking boots, but my experience with snowboard boots = heel lift is a huge no-no of fitting and something that will only continue to get worse as the boots breaks in. Your heels should stay put else you get rubbing and loss of performance on technical terrain I.e. you don’t want heel lift when your edging or front pointing and relying on your boot to keep you from falling down a rock face.
If heel lift is an ongoing problem for you with boot fit, there are some fitting accessories/inserts you can buy that should help lock your heel in.

On this issue, I’ve always purchased the green superfeet insoles which are designed for trail hiking. Their designed to have a deeper heel cup to help lock in the heel.
May try these ($40-$45) and see if they salvage an expensive pair of boots.

I am about to order a pair of the Schnees Beartooth boots. I wear a size 11.5 in most shoes but in some other footwear, I use a 12 or 12.5. If I measure my foot on the Brannock Device it measures my foot at a hair over 11. The only shoes I have in 11 hurt my feet after a few hours. I feel uncomfortable putting on a new shoe and trying to decide whether it fits or not. I usually figure that out a few weeks later when breaking them in.

What do you y'all look for when trying on a new boot for the first time? Since you can only walk around in your house before returning them, how do you figure out if they fit?

Call Schnees and talk with them. They will get you to someone who can answer your questions and make a solid recommendation. If they don’t fit or you have doubts call them again and they will help you through it or take care of you. Customer service is great. They took a pair of boots back that I had fitted in the store after I hunted in them 20-30 days and were making my big toes numb, and gave me a gift card because their new line was delayed. Year later boots were In stock and I was on the phone with Curt the manager and placed my order. He even let me use a 20% RMEF discount. You cannot and will not find another boot company that can or will do that for you.

I’ve worn Schnees for years and they fit true to size from the bannock. If your 11’s feel tight at the tip of your toes then 11.5 would probably work. Curt at the Bozeman store is the man, and he’ll help you out. Best customer service around. Call the store and ask for Curt.

But like others have said, you won’t know until you get them out in the woods for a long, long day!

For this reason, I get my boots at REI. You can wear them for months and bring them back if there is an issue with fit. Other places, you're stuck.

OP
HoughLePuff
Call Schnees and talk with them. They will get you to someone who can answer your questions and make a solid recommendation. If they don’t fit or you have doubts call them again and they will help you through it or take care of you. Customer service is great. They took a pair of boots back that I had fitted in the store after I hunted in them 20-30 days and were making my big toes numb, and gave me a gift card because their new line was delayed. Year later boots were In stock and I was on the phone with Curt the manager and placed my order. He even let me use a 20% RMEF discount. You cannot and will not find another boot company that can or will do that for you.
I talked to them on the phone the other day and felt comfortable enough to go ahead and order the boots. As someone who is new to hiking boots, I will be sure to give them a call once I get them on my feet!

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
You do the best you can while trying them on or assessing them in your home. If you've had several pairs over the years, it's pretty easy to tell what you like and don't like. If you're new to hunting boots, then it might take a few pair to figure that out. Some places have an incline you can use to test them out for a bit. Make sure you take the socks you're going to wear with them with you when testing and see how they do. After that, the real testing will come in the field.

You can overcome some issues with lacing and insoles, but you should at least be close to start with. If you put on a pair and you hate them immediately, that's not going to change on the mountain.

having a boot MAKER who has the knowledge like BAKER'S BOOTS, plus the willingness to make everything right for you ….. PRICELESS - Still, don't take chances on the hope "they'll feel better later" and ruin an otherwise great trip

Mondo point measuring system is the best. I usually buy 1-1.5cm bigger boot than my foot.

For the test.
1) Put a 8’ 2x10, on deck stairs and walk up and down for 5 min. Try different stride size, big long and small. This weeds out the obvious ones.

2) Next go on a weighted hike(70#) straight up hill. Luckily I have a 1k gain in 1mi with a mix of side hill and steep up hill. The ones that can pass this test(no hot spots)have always worked out great. Obviously be aware of damaging them cosmetically, don’t hike in mud, keep away from sharp plants/rocks. I do it all the time. I just clean them up good, dig the dirt out of the lugs, clean the soles with water and rag. I’ve never had a return go unaccepted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Florida Bow Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
It’s hard because all new footwear take certain mouldings from your feet and the pressure points you apply with your steps.

Sometimes a boot that fits right, hurts because the boot gives too much in one spot or not enough in another.

I have bone spurs in both heals and @ times will come down with stress fractures in the balls of my right foot.

I need cushion. I need room. So I jump up a full size and this has been working well the last 4-5 years.

This year, I’ve taken my boots off in the stand to cool off my feet. I’ve found the heat really gets those spurs barking.

I’m no longer wearing a thick sock either. I wear UA cut below the ankle tennis type Sox now. They are padded in the heel and toe, but allow my feet to breathe enough.

For me, the heat, even in cold weather is what seems to make my feet uncomfortable. I’m 60 and just learning this now. Lol

So I buy loose, wear them with what I will in the woods and nothing else. Woods only.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would like to add that the more you have tried different shoes and boots with success and failure, you will start to know what will fit and what will not fit. After buying good fitting ones in the showroom that aren't after a while, and average ones that feel good after wearing for a time, I think one gets a sense for what will fit well.

Agreed great customer service! I live in AK and have to order most stuff that I need. Being 6’7” and size 14 feet has its disadvantages in clothing and boots but Schnee’s took care of me and reserved me a pair of Granite 2’s on their next run they were out when I went to order.