How close do the bulls follow the cows in early September?

Gerbdog

WKR
I'm sure its place to place and herd to herd...
But this weekend I got on 2 groups of cows (huge groups, like 30+) in two different spots... they'd come feeding out of the timber... i could hear a bull up above... he bugled when he got out of bed.....

So i snuck around them and put myself in a location to shoot the bull as he followed the cows out of the wood.... but he never did and then shooting hours closed out both times.

Tips? Tricks? Didnt wanna call cause i'd already snuck past all those eyes and didnt wanna draw unwanted cow attention.

did get to watch cows playing in the creek though. Was funny.

ElkNut1

WKR
Perfect scenario for the Advertising Sequence, that bull would have snuck right to you as long as you had a solid setup with wind & cover! It's my money tactic for this time of year!

If he doesn't show within 10 minutes (because he's still there & maybe slowly moving your way) I'd go to a couple soft cow calls & raking. High odds he will show between the two!

ElkNut

OP
Gerbdog

Gerbdog

WKR
Perfect scenario for the Advertising Sequence, that bull would have snuck right to you as long as you had a solid setup with wind & cover! It's my money tactic for this time of year!

If he doesn't show within 10 minutes (because he's still there & maybe slowly moving your way) I'd go to a couple soft cow calls & raking. High odds he will show between the two!

ElkNut
Appreciate it ElkNut!

Would you have done that with the cows within 50 yards of your location? When i mean i snuck into position i mean... i was basically in the cows and i think the last of the cows filed out of the woods in front of me with 15 minutes to go on the clock.... I thought if i started raking there or making too much motion the whole herd would bust out and the bull would either:

A. Come down super confused looking to run
B. Decide he didnt wanna come down at all

I think your right though, i should have been a bit braver and trusted the cow elk are used to hearing elk sounds like raking

ElkNut1

WKR
So you say you were between the bull & his cows, that's a Round Up Bugle all the way when in that money zone. As soon as the real bull responds hit him with the Full Send Challenge, that's the nervous grunt & nasally challenge bugle.

The only way to have confidence in using sounds as this in crunch time is to put in the practice before elk season otherwise you will shrink back from considering them fearing you will chase them into a new zipcode! Have confidence in your calling. it can & will work!

All this is in the App bud! I'm pretty sure you have it.

ElkNut

OP
Gerbdog

Gerbdog

WKR
yessir! Thanks and if im lucky enough to end up in this position again im gonna sack up and challenge... headed back out tomorrow evening

ElkNut1

WKR
LOL! Good Luck sir! On your 1st bugle have an arrow nocked & ready, it can happen fast! (grin)

ElkNut

OP
Gerbdog

Gerbdog

WKR
Learning situation i guess, feels a little bad thinking back on it.. "duh, that WAS the golden opportunity, you (me) got between the bull and his cows.... and then you (me in my head) didnt capitalize on it".....

Live and learn and that somehow is truer every elk season im lucky enough to go out in the mountains in September... new situations and new opportunities

87TT

WKR
Worst that could happen is you get trampled by some cows.😁
I’m glad I’m not the only overthinking over cautious one. But I’m working on it and getting more chances every year. Thanks Paul