How consistently do you hunt the same unit and how much do you scout?

Hey everyone,

Got out West for the first time last year and got in the preference point game last year as well (hunted South Dakota mule deer in 2018 OTC). Applied for a mule deer unit in Colorado with fair odds and a second choice unit I am pretty certain I will draw here next week. My question is how often do you plan to hunt the same unit or are you always applying for new units and learning as you go. I am thinking of finding a unit/hunt area in a few states that have OTC tags or have reasonable odds to draw every couple years and then save a few tags for once in a lifetime hunts as I accumulate a bunch of points. Whats your strategy for learning a unit really well?

Also, in regards to scouting, what do you like to do? If I do end up drawing my tag next week I will have 8 hunt days over labor day week to hunt high country bucks. Is it normal to hit the ground out there come the season or would there be a huge benefit of getting out there in June/July for 3 days to learn and see whats out there?

Thanks everyone!

Poser

WKR
The scouting hangup this year may be that, depending somewhat on your unit, the high country will likely still be under a decent amount of snowpack until late July even early August, so there may very well be no deer in the high country on July 4th. Granted, there might be enough exposed grass on South facing slopes at the point for it to be productive but I would come prepared for snowfields and postholing. Snowshoes might even be warranted or even necessary. There will also be significant trail damage this season due to avalanches -entire aspen groves have been uprooted. It’s definitely going to be a bit of an unusual year in much of the CO high country, so keep that in mind. The SW CO snowpack is 375% higher than average, for example.

OP
B
Dang, I kept hearing bits and pieces about it. I assume this will have quite the impact on deer herds in some areas.

If you find a unit that you think has potential Your odds of success will go up every year that you learn the unit and it’s deer more and learn where the good spots are. If you hit a new unit every year you’ll be a strange man in a strange land and be starting from scratch. But each unit has a different type of experience which can also be very enjoyable.

YZF_88

Lil-Rokslider
What works for me is to end up in an area, have it scouted well and then find a guy that isn't shy about posting youtube videos and updates of the area and specific deer. Sure saved me some gas money!! Of course the only drawback is the hunting pressure goes up exponentially when it's obvious where it is. So you'll end up looking for a new spot. Maybe this strategy isn't working after all. Man I hate youtube.