How do grizzly bears taste?

I guessing brownies feeding on rancid salmon will taste like rancid salmon.

Interior bears on berries should be good but those on rancid meat would be memorable.

Turkeytider

Lil-Rokslider
Anti hunters dream location. Are you a PETA member? Bears were shot for their Skulls, Hides, claws and pictures. Bears still have to be managed and the law doesnt require them to be processed to eat in Sask. We ate some backstraps a time or two. Tasted like crap in my opinion. Not nearly as good as a young coyote.
Nope, not a PETA member. Just asking the question. Eat a coyote? Well, I suppose if one is hungry enough...

Husband shot a Denali Hwy grizz Memorial Day weekend about 3 years ago. It was great eating, really clean tasting, no real difference from a black bear. I shot an interior grizz in unit 13 fly out last year in September, same thing. Husband makes a mean grizzly meat chili. Just have to plan what you are shooting, what it is going to be on (salmon vs berries).
We will be in Kodiak in October hunting brownies, so they will be on salmon. Meat will stink, but we look at it as population control. And trophy, of course. Lifetime draw tag.

I'd be grinding it up and transforming it into chili. They are very hit or miss, depending on what they are into.

chinook907

Lil-Rokslider
I've tried some meat from a couple freshly killed spring (no salmon around yet) coastal brown bears. Very very tough, and both had a mild grassy taste, which is likely what they were eating.

We tried to eat a couple we DLPd in SEAK; they all tasted like rotten salmon.

I’d be interested to try a barren ground griz that had been eating nothing but blueberries.

alaska80

FNG
Just use the smell test. If the bear smells, whether from fish or sitting on rotten guts, it will taste bad. If it is a berry fed mountain bear (no smell) they taste great. Grizzly makes some of the best roasts I have ever had, far tastier than beef.

My whole family loves it. One of my daughter's friends came over whois an extremely picky eater and will not eat her own father's/mother's meat cooking. We fed her some grizzly bear roast and she LOVED it. Prepared properly from the RIGHT bear it is great.

Don’t inland grizz eat a lot of moths at times? I know nothing about grizz and how they are on the table, but I thought I remember someone telling me when they were eating moths, they were not very good, but berry bears were very similar to black bears. Any bear eating salmon i assume would be rough, I hit a black bear in the nose 3 times with a boot that was trying to get in the dog door (funny story) and the house still smelled like rotten humpies the next morning, I can’t imagine a bear like that being anything but nasty

The meat is the main reason I don’t really get excited about hunting brown or grizzly, I certainly have no issues with it and think hunting them is very valuable, I just don’t see myself paying the money to kill a bear for a hide… same basic reason I don’t have much desire to hunt Africa… would love to do either, but not enough to pay the price to do it… add a pile of good eating meat to either hunt and I’m going

Swamp Fox

WKR
Moth
Don’t inland grizz eat a lot of moths at times? I know nothing about grizz and how they are on the table, but I thought I remember someone telling me when they were eating moths, they were not very good, but berry bears were very similar to black bears. Any bear eating salmon i assume would be rough, I hit a black bear in the nose 3 times with a boot that was trying to get in the dog door (funny story) and the house still smelled like rotten humpies the next morning, I can’t imagine a bear like that being anything but nasty

The meat is the main reason I don’t really get excited about hunting brown or grizzly, I certainly have no issues with it and think hunting them is very valuable, I just don’t see myself paying the money to kill a bear for a hide… same basic reason I don’t have much desire to hunt Africa… would love to do either, but not enough to pay the price to do it… add a pile of good eating meat to either hunt and I’m going
Grizz bears eating moths: YUCK

Black bears hit in the snoot: Problematic.

It's almost like we can only go after the panda bears now ...

Blind Squirrel

Lil-Rokslider
It would be worth a try, black bears taste great.
Agreed. Black bear is delicious. I cooked some black bear for the first time recently while my kids had one of their friends over. Prior to tasting, I could tell the friend was not a fan of the idea, and was only going along due to peer pressure. My wife only wanted to try a little bit, basically to be polite but wasn’t real excited. Everyone loved it and all had seconds. There was nothing left over.