How do you choose a draw weight?

AdamLewis

FNG
Do you base it on what shoots or tunes the best?

Do you go as heavy as you can draw with good form?

As heavy as you can keep good form after X draws?

Asking because I am going to get a new bow this off season. I'm pretty well recovered from a back injury that was holding me back, and since I lifted my way out of it I am much stronger than I was before. I can draw my most shot bow, set around 65 LB with a pretty smooth cycle, with great form for as long as I care to. I am thinking I can go up but not sure how much.

Honestly most bows are only going to get to 70. A few people choose to shoot up to 80 and that’s up to them, some people are stronger than others. A lot of bows will give 10 pounds of adjustment as well so if you felt good at 65 or not you have +-5 pounds of adjustment. Another thought might be the bow draw cycle. Fast shooting short brace height bows are going to have a stiff draw cycle where others feel better or light/heavier at certain parts of the draw cycle. I’m not sure how your injury affects your draw but it’s something to think of if your rebuilding your form post injury.
Good luck and hope the recovery goes well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stalker69

WKR
Go to your pro shop and try a few, if 70 is comfortable buy it. If it’s to much try 60, if it’s to much try 50.

elkguide

WKR
After sitting in a tree stand with a cold wind blowing for a couple of hours and that big bruiser that you've been watching all summer walks into range...…. how easy is it going to be to draw your bow? I shoot my bow @ 65 pounds all off season and just before hunting starts, I drop back to 57 - 60#.

An old timer once told me to sit on the floor with my legs spread. Draw my bow. If I can comfortably draw it from that sitting position, I'm good to go.

bignocks

FNG
What elkguide said. Not sure what kind of hunting you're doing but 65lbs will kill just about everything with a good arrow setup. I notice at 65lbs and a 500 gr arrow its a lot quieter than lets say a 70lb and 425 gr arrow. Its really a preference. I would say single digits sitting for hours in a seated position totally bundled up with clothes is about as hard as it gets for pulling in a hunting situation. I know some guys who actually drop a half in on draw for late season clothing layers. My sr6 is pretty adjustable without needing a press. Many bows are fairly adjustable. Just got to check some out. Good luck.