How do you justify sheep hunting?

Coldtrail

WKR
This thread is truly awesome reading, though a sheep hunt isn't on my list, many other things are and for lots of different reasons. It's great to hear about the effort and sacrifice some will put forth to be successful. There are some philosophical lessons buried in some of these posts as well.

We all need to set and continue to set our life goals & for each one of us those goals are different. I'm a believer that it's far better to die broke with a million dollars worth of memories than to die rich with a heart full of dreams.

GSPMich

FNG
I just put a down payment on a NWT hunt in June. This is my take on the subject.

I’m a teacher so I’m am by no means wealthy but I did like the idea of going hunting for 2 weeks and not missing any work. I did miss work to elk hunt in 20, and will be again in 23. That first elk hunt was awesome, couple that with non-stop thinking about sheep for about 5 years and I just decided I’m gonna make it happen. I booked it and told myself now you HAVE to make it happen, take on more responsibility at work, summer job, whatever, but you now are signed up so you’re going. I wanted to take on the entire challenge of planning, training, shooting, hiking, hunting, etc etc.

As far as the money part of it, if I spilled the beans to my family, my parents, or my in laws on what it would cost none of them would say I’m dumb for spending that kinda dough, they would say wow that’s a lot but you’re a guy that can get it done.

One thing i absolutely didn’t want to do that has been mentioned here, spend money on a cheaper mountain species. I didn’t want to spend a bunch of money that could have went towards a sheep hunt, or get home from say a goat hunt and say ok now I NEED to go sheep hunting.

I’m not sure justify is the word to use as sheep hunting goes. I earned the money, as long as this doesn’t financially harm my family(it won’t) I don’t feel the need to justify it to anyone. Most people have a vice of sorts that costs money, and different people have different vices.

Middle class guys all over constantly trade up for new trucks, have Harley’s and bikes, huge boats, drop money to drink in a tropical locale a few times a year, I got a buddy who doesn’t hesitate to drop $250 for a round of golf, own huge F*cking houses in the new subdivision they don’t need, etc etc. That’s all great and I’m happy for those people, but I’m gonna try sheep hunting.

schmalzy

WKR
I just put a down payment on a NWT hunt in June. This is my take on the subject.

I’m a teacher so I’m am by no means wealthy but I did like the idea of going hunting for 2 weeks and not missing any work. I did miss work to elk hunt in 20, and will be again in 23. That first elk hunt was awesome, couple that with non-stop thinking about sheep for about 5 years and I just decided I’m gonna make it happen. I booked it and told myself now you HAVE to make it happen, take on more responsibility at work, summer job, whatever, but you now are signed up so you’re going. I wanted to take on the entire challenge of planning, training, shooting, hiking, hunting, etc etc.

As far as the money part of it, if I spilled the beans to my family, my parents, or my in laws on what it would cost none of them would say I’m dumb for spending that kinda dough, they would say wow that’s a lot but you’re a guy that can get it done.

One thing i absolutely didn’t want to do that has been mentioned here, spend money on a cheaper mountain species. I didn’t want to spend a bunch of money that could have went towards a sheep hunt, or get home from say a goat hunt and say ok now I NEED to go sheep hunting.

I’m not sure justify is the word to use as sheep hunting goes. I earned the money, as long as this doesn’t financially harm my family(it won’t) I don’t feel the need to justify it to anyone. Most people have a vice of sorts that costs money, and different people have different vices.

Middle class guys all over constantly trade up for new trucks, have Harley’s and bikes, huge boats, drop money to drink in a tropical locale a few times a year, I got a buddy who doesn’t hesitate to drop $250 for a round of golf, own huge F*cking houses in the new subdivision they don’t need, etc etc. That’s all great and I’m happy for those people, but I’m gonna try sheep hunting.

I am excited for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TNsavageman

Lil-Rokslider
I’ll share my situation.
I’ve (like many) always wanted to hunt sheep. For me- it wasn’t just any sheep, I wanted to hunt dall sheep. I wasn’t ever interested in chasing a “slam”
We didn’t have cable or dish TV when I was a kid but there were always plenty of books and hunting magazines. Jack O Connor did me in at a young age.
I went through many of the same thoughts most have shared, too much money etc. I’m not well off. Normal blue collar guy.
But… a dall sheep hunt has been my number one bucket list item my entire life. I feel like $30,000 is a bargain to get to experience that.
I would like to explain a little about how my family and I live. I drive a single cab 2002 Toyota Tacoma that I bought in 2008. I paid $10,400 for it then. I also have a 2011 Honda Fit that I use for driving to work and taking kids to ballgames and what not. (No self respecting outdoorsman would be caught dead in that little Prius looking hatchback lol)
My wife has a 2019 Kia Sorento. We don’t have a car payment.
We live in a small house (1800sqft) that was built in 1986.
We don’t have a boat or any other cool toys.

My wife loves to travel and my kids do as well. We rent a vehicle and go wherever and do whatever. (We did the Disney thing in April and my wife and myself are going to the Florida Keys next week)

I have noticed with the people in my work circle/community that we all spend similar money. It’s just where do you want to put it? Big house? Big truck? Big boat? New guns every year? Golf? Gambling?

$30,000 today doesn’t buy a lot when it comes to many of those things I listed above. I do agree it’s a lot of money to spend on ANYTHING.

I started a side hustle with a friend of mine doing the landscaping most people don’t want to do. Trimming, mulch, rock, small retaining walls… That side hustle finances my family vacations and hunting trips. It allows us to do what we all enjoy while still being able to invest heavily in our retirements and 401ks and not eat Beanie Weenies every night.
The downside to doing it is you have to work more hours and sacrifice some of your days off. The beautiful part of our side hustle is we are busy during the spring and summer. We slow down just in time for hunting season.

If you break a sheep hunt down into the hours spent getting ready for it and the hunt itself (physical training, shooting, gear shakeout hikes (took the family along so that was cool) and logistical planning the cost seems pretty dang reasonable honestly. I can honestly say that if I hadn’t have killed a sheep this past July, I would have came home happy with the decision I made to go. I’m not sure I ever “justified” going, I always knew I had to go. And I do believe O Connor was right, if you go, you will know if it’s for you or not. As for me…. I’m planning on going back and I will forgo some other hunting trips to make that happen.

Sorry for the rambling post, hope it made sense and helps somebody out. If you want to go, you can find a way.

OP
Northpark

Northpark

WKR
I’ll share my situation.
I’ve (like many) always wanted to hunt sheep. For me- it wasn’t just any sheep, I wanted to hunt dall sheep. I wasn’t ever interested in chasing a “slam”
We didn’t have cable or dish TV when I was a kid but there were always plenty of books and hunting magazines. Jack O Connor did me in at a young age.
I went through many of the same thoughts most have shared, too much money etc. I’m not well off. Normal blue collar guy.
But… a dall sheep hunt has been my number one bucket list item my entire life. I feel like $30,000 is a bargain to get to experience that.
I would like to explain a little about how my family and I live. I drive a single cab 2002 Toyota Tacoma that I bought in 2008. I paid $10,400 for it then. I also have a 2011 Honda Fit that I use for driving to work and taking kids to ballgames and what not. (No self respecting outdoorsman would be caught dead in that little Prius looking hatchback lol)
My wife has a 2019 Kia Sorento. We don’t have a car payment.
We live in a small house (1800sqft) that was built in 1986.
We don’t have a boat or any other cool toys.

My wife loves to travel and my kids do as well. We rent a vehicle and go wherever and do whatever. (We did the Disney thing in April and my wife and myself are going to the Florida Keys next week)

I have noticed with the people in my work circle/community that we all spend similar money. It’s just where do you want to put it? Big house? Big truck? Big boat? New guns every year? Golf? Gambling?

$30,000 today doesn’t buy a lot when it comes to many of those things I listed above. I do agree it’s a lot of money to spend on ANYTHING.

I started a side hustle with a friend of mine doing the landscaping most people don’t want to do. Trimming, mulch, rock, small retaining walls… That side hustle finances my family vacations and hunting trips. It allows us to do what we all enjoy while still being able to invest heavily in our retirements and 401ks and not eat Beanie Weenies every night.
The downside to doing it is you have to work more hours and sacrifice some of your days off. The beautiful part of our side hustle is we are busy during the spring and summer. We slow down just in time for hunting season.

If you break a sheep hunt down into the hours spent getting ready for it and the hunt itself (physical training, shooting, gear shakeout hikes (took the family along so that was cool) and logistical planning the cost seems pretty dang reasonable honestly. I can honestly say that if I hadn’t have killed a sheep this past July, I would have came home happy with the decision I made to go. I’m not sure I ever “justified” going, I always knew I had to go. And I do believe O Connor was right, if you go, you will know if it’s for you or not. As for me…. I’m planning on going back and I will forgo some other hunting trips to make that happen.

Sorry for the rambling post, hope it made sense and helps somebody out. If you want to go, you can find a way.
I live very similar to you with no vehicle payments. We don’t have the nicest newest vehicles. My wife drives a 2005 Yukon and I drive a 2015 Silverado. Both paid for. I have no boat no SxS or extra vehicles. We did move from CO to AZ for a promotion in 2020 and the housing market required that we build a new home because I refused to pay 250k for a house built in 1950 that needed to be completely remodeled so we spent $365k on a new house. My wife is a stay at home mom so I guess we sacrificed some stuff for her to be able to do that. I think if we sent the kids to school and she went back to work we would have a lot of play money but we want our kids to be brought up in a educational way and our public schools suck.

All comes down to priorities.

Movi

FNG
Wasn’t complaining. I could absolutely save up 30k and go. All I was asking was how folks justify spending the money not how they got it. I mean i through an extra $300 a month at my mortgage. I could just as easily save that for a sheep hunt. But I have a wife and family that I have prioritized over a sheep hunt. And no way would they move to BC or even AK.

100% not complaining just curious of others responses.
Why can’t you have it all? There’s no justification needed if it’s something you want IMHO. If you have to justify it you likely can’t afford it.

Why can’t you have new vehicles, a butt load of kids, sheep hunts, new house, and everything else great in life?

Instead of 300 extra on top of a mortgage that already has low interest if you take that 300 and invest it the payoff will be exponentially more than paying on the principle of your house. You already know that though.

Go shoot everything, get everything you want in life, making lots of money is easy if you chose to do it. There is no justification when hard work makes 50k seem like 5k.

I prioritize my hunting right up there with my family. If I had to pick one over the other. Well, dang that would suck.

I did my one and only dall sheep hunt in Alaska in 2007 when I was 44. I was nervous asking my wife if she would be ok with me experiencing this once in a lifetime experience. I did a ton of research, and found a outfitter who charged 8k for all in, and let me book the hunt 2 years in advance, with a 1/3 down. It was and always will be my greatest outdoor experience. Having said that, the supply and demand situation is causing sheep hunting to be skyrocketing in price. At 30k, it seems out of reach for many, but as life goes, some guys find a way to make it happen and keep their family life good. I am a summit member of the WSF. I love seeing seeing guys and gals draw their Frost sheep hunt. Can bring tears to your eyes.
never ever ever tell your wife it's "once in a lifetime" LOL - just giving you a hard time

Outdoors1

FNG
It can be tough to justify. Living in Alaska and having road access to a decent sheep spot, a sheep hunt costs me $200 and about a week off from work. I have a 30% chance of success in that location, and can expect about 50 lbs of packaged meat off a ram.
I typically do a road accessible moose hunt for under $100, with roughly the same time off work and success rate. A moose gets me 150 - 500 lbs of packaged meat, which my family prefers over sheep. I do spend much more time scouting for moose over the summer however, which I view as a positive thing, but others may not.
Hunting partner-wise, my son thinks moose hunting is great, goat hunting is fun, and sheep hunting is a waste of time. As a result, I moose hunt on yearly and sheep hunt only occasionally

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
shit man, I have watched friends drop $50K plus tips for sheep (Marco). It was said already but it's all about perspective wealth. It's a sliding scale of riches to rags we live in...like your 20s compared to your 40s. What you couldn't afford at 20 is now laughably easy to spend on hunting. But there's one last component to this psychology IMO. Some guys who spend that much on a "sheep" hunt are completing a lifelong species list, which drives the desire and the allowances for self-indulgences. They want it bad enough to pay whatever it costs. Check that box biatch, what's next on the list...?

Then you evolve out of that stage into a more logical or practical state of mind. I wont spend that much on any animal I can't eat and bring home to eat more of. So that eliminates a lot of desire. Ate Marco Polo...never again...Ibex...hell no...Dall sheep, caribou, muskox, moose...those nibbles are worth being an Alaska resident or a rich man.

Falcon

Lil-Rokslider
Dragon fish .............You May have a point there. Brought up the possibility of hunting stone sheep in BC. Ya.....
That didn’t go well😂

HUNTNUT

FNG
Out of the 6 CO archery bighorn ram tags I arrowed two...'84 and '99. Also drew a NV desert ram and arrowed one back in '91....first year I applied there!

As per the big tag year, '95 where I didn't hunt the ewe in CO....shot a decent velvet UT mule deer, a CO Antelope, but struck out on CO and AZ elk trying for a big one. Saw 'em, no arrows shot at 'em. Just bad breaks on wind as I remember. Was trying to top my 357" net archery bull from CO I took in '87 and it wasn't meant to be...and still isn't, haha.
I drew 6 archery ram tags back in the 1980 to 1999 time frame....3 as second choice in the Sangres and 3 ram tags in Georgetown. Also drew a Georgetown archery ewe tag but didn't hunt one as I'd drawn a great UT archery mule deer tag, decent AZ archery elk bull elk tag and a Unit 2 CO archery bull elk tag concurrent with the ewe tag. Yup, they were easier to draw 20-40 years ago, and I was pretty lucky in the draw for a number of years too.
How about a good unit S9 story?

Reactions: BCP

Murphy

Lil-Rokslider
I work overtime every single weekend my work will give me to afford going on a once in a lifetime hunt every year. That and I live in a small old cheap house. I made a conscious decision years ago I needed to see as many wild places full of Critters as I could before my body gives out. I have seen some beautiful wild lonely places chasing game. Including a Yukon sheep hunt. Wouldn't change a thing. Got an Alaskan sheep hunt scheduled for next year and can't wait. My buddies don't really get it but it works for me.

Glendine

Lil-Rokslider
Great thread guys.

It’s interesting to read peoples position on spending a fair wedge of cash that’s entirely an endeavour for one’s self, but then again what isn’t if you can start from zero and save the required funds you should be complemented for the hard work, My own experience with saving for hunts is its makes you focus more in life becoming more self-disciplined, which can become part of daily life benefiting all in your house hold.

Sheep hunting supports local rural jobs and business I know I will never go on a sheep hunt but to experience two weeks in a the mountains with people who want you to succeed alas must be incredible.

Regards,
Glendine.

Reactions: BCP

BCP

FNG
Interesting to hear of people making deposits and payments towards a future hunt. I know 1-2 years out is fairly common but are some of you making arrangements out beyond 2 years? If you could place a deposit and make payments for 2-3 years that could open up some interesting options.

Interesting to hear of people making deposits and payments towards a future hunt. I know 1-2 years out is fairly common but are some of you making arrangements out beyond 2 years? If you could place a deposit and make payments for 2-3 years that could open up some interesting options.
Yes. In the NWT, you’ll find that hunts are already reserved into 2026. AK sheep population dynamics are likely to increase pressure.

BCP

FNG
Yes. In the NWT, you’ll find that hunts are already reserved into 2026. AK sheep population dynamics are likely to increase pressure.
Thanks for your reply and that makes sense on popular hunts. Does the deposit normally lock it in at the current rate or does it float and increase to a higher rate later?

mod7rem

FNG
Justification looks different for everybody. For most it’s about money because sheep hunting is not accessible for most.
For me, I’m very lucky to live in B.C. Canada, so I hunt Stone sheep every year with over the counter, resident tags. There are also Dall Sheep, Cali and Rocky Bighorns here as well with more and more areas on draw systems to get tags for them. But in reality, the availability of sheep hunting here for residents is still amazing.
For me it’s justifying the time every year, all the exercising, and gear changes/improvements. I know I’m spoiled but I can’t imagine not being able to hunt sheep every year. Hopefully I can keep doing it well into my 60’s.