How essential is a vest in a layering system

Bmcox86

WKR
I've read serval articles and watched a few videos on layering systems for the back country and most leave out a vest. Right now I have merino base layers, a jacket, pants and have rain gear on the way( western Washington is always wet). My question is should I add a vest to my system? Will this add warmth or just un needed weight or should I wait and save up for a puffy mid layer jacket. I'm only going out 2-3 days at a time. My system is all core4 at the moment.

KMT

WKR
I bought a vest 3 years ago and have worn it one time. If it's cold enough for me to wear a vest, it's cold enough to wear a jacket.

marc

Lil-Rokslider
I just added one this year and I like it. I see we are close. I picked up a Russell primaloft vest at sportsmans warehouse in puyallup on sale for $50, it was half price!

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I really like my Kratos Vest, but i sweat a lot. The lack of insulation provides some relief.

Manosteel

WKR
8 times out of 10 you will do better with a puffy or mid-wieght jacket but the vest has its place. Right now while elking hunting on weekends I have been using the Kratos vest evey evening; in the early morning I am using a jacket but I sweat a lot and don't get cold easy so after the morning frost is done I use my vest. Right now its 0 Celsius (32 Fahrenheit) in the morning and warms to +10 to 15 (50-59 Fahrenheit) during the day and dips down to +3 to 5 (37-40 Fahrenheit) in the evening.

Randle

WKR
I find for me a vest is just right it gives insulation without the bulk of having sleeves and I can wear it alittle longer in the AM hunts as we hunt in and out of the shadows and sun in the N Idaho mountains.

I find for me a vest is just right it gives insulation without the bulk of having sleeves and I can wear it alittle longer in the AM hunts as we hunt in and out of the shadows and sun in the N Idaho mountains.

Last week on my hunt I was wearing my vest every day. It was foggy, windy, snowy, and rainy. I would oftentimes wear the vest over two shirts and hunt in that. with the collar zipped up all the way I could still hunt along without freezing to death.

Edit: My vest is a Sitka Celsius. I also carry a North Face holofill coat, when I sit down to glass I pull that out and put it on over the vest.

I consider a vest to be a necessary part of my gear, for hunting or fishing anytime of the year here in Alaska. I just vary the type of vest according to the conditions.
I hunt exclusively with a revolver, and I carry it in an across the chest/bandolier style holster, which is worn under the vest. It helps support the holster, and helps
stabilize my binocs. Also the vest pockets are where I carry spare ammo.

Bob

I like a vest because it can give you that little extra warmth for your core that you sometime need when you are moving or stopping and starting. I use it as an in-between garment when a puff jacket or other full sleeved insulating layer will be too much. They are also great in the evening or early morning to take the chill off.

I would suggest that you get one in a neutral solid color (green, brown, gray, etc.) and see if you like it for hunting. If not you can still wear it with your "civilian" clothes around town.

colonel00

WKR
I have never found value in a vest but that is obviously a personal preference. I just find that if it is cold enough that more core is cold, my arms are going to be very cold if I don't just put on a full jacket.

I hunt exclusively with a revolver, and I carry it in an across the chest/bandolier style holster, which is worn under the vest. It helps support the holster, and helps
stabilize my binocs. Also the vest pockets are where I carry spare ammo.

Bob

How fast can you get to your revolver with it under the vest?

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
I like vests. Purchased a REI brand puff vest that weighs next to nothing that I take along most trips. My puff jacket is a 12oz MontBell Thermawrap so between the two I barely push a pound. I have a First Lite merino vest coming so I look forward to running that through the works. I also have a few other fleece vest I have gathered over the years, but the REI one is my favorite. It's nice to warm the core.

I have never found value in a vest but that is obviously a personal preference. I just find that if it is cold enough that more core is cold, my arms are going to be very cold if I don't just put on a full jacket.

How fast can you get to your revolver with it under the vest?

Not a problem,
The grip ends up at the center of my chest, just below my binocs,

I keep my vest halfway buttoned or zipped, and it has always worked out great!!

I usually get a size larger than I would if it was for a daily wear vest. I like the thinner style vests and ordered a Kuiu recently, but I need to get the next size up! I am an old fart, and these new "athletic" cut clothes are hard to make friends with!!!

Bob

Last edited:
I wouldn't say a vest is a "critical" layer item, but I sure use mine on a frequent basis. Sometimes doesn't make the cut for a extended backpack trip, but gets used for everything else. I usually layer it under whatever jacket (including puffy ones) I'm wearing for some additional core warmth without restricting mobility of my arms. If you are a softshell user, it's not a bad underlayer. Keeps you warmer while still keeping the benefits of the softshell as the outer layer (abrasion resistance, etc).

I would estimate I have close to 400 days of wearing my current primaloft vest since I bought it in 2010. Even when I'm not wearing it, it's often riding in the bottom of my day pack "just in case" Insulation is getting kinda thin and lumpy, and I'll probably replace it next year. For me it's a high use, year round, piece of gear that isn't at all specific to hunting.

Yk

TD1

FNG
Vests are great for mid level activity, stop and go stuff, level or downhill walks, stalks (make sure it's a quiet one, fleece or wool), etc. They vent well if you exert a bit but help keep core warmth. And hands down easier to shoot the bow with or any other kind of moderate activity really. Currently mine is fleece (not even sure what brand, it's old) but am digging through the furniture cushions for change to save up for a new Springer vest. All those give me a dead quiet layer system for active bowhunting. If you're moving much at all you can stay fairly warm with that. My thermostat is set pretty high though, blood is on the thin side when cooler weather hits.

Usually go with a good base layer and a heavy shirt for second. It gets a little more chilly the vest. My old system 4th layer was a Rivers West Law jacket that did double duty as rainwear and outer layer over the top of everything else when it got colder. Served me well in late sept MT and ID when it would get into the teens.

The RW is about worn out, bit the bullet and trying a new system next. I've had a Yukon rain jacket that I'm really liking, have used it several times now (in moderate temps) and it is about the best raingear I've used. Packs fairly small, isn't too heavy, drys fast, cuts the wind, tough, so far so good. And I have an uncompahgre puffy that should be here any day now for when it just gets flippin' cold. Those two should give me a bit more flexibility over the RW as well as take me down to a little lower temps if needed. I'm not a winter hunter but on the mountain ya never know when it decides to become winter. Neither are as quiet as the RW, but I don't see using it much in quiet weather on a stalk or such. Mostly windy/wet nasty and/or cold.

Theoretically.....we'll see how that tests out.

Above Timber

Lil-Rokslider
I really like a vest. I wear mine under my Kuiu 250 1/4 zip and a poly-pro long john shirt when its really cold. I have an Eddy Bauer first assent down in black. I wear it under my camo so it can be worn hunting and to work. I like the vest because of the freedom of motion it provides over a jacket for bow hunting. If it is really old I will wear a layered jacket, but if I am in that I am usually not bow hunting so the range of motion is not that big of a deal. I do NOT leave my vest at home it is always in my pack. It works great as a pillow too. Through a rain jacket over the vest, Kuiu, and the poly-pro shit and you have a warm and dry system that can be modified to meet any condition.