How far away can elk be spotted?

Another thing worth mentioning is what to do when you do spot a herd of elk. The first thing I do is count them. Then z
I map out the herd. So for example if there are 13 elk Id say to myself ok.... 4 in a row across the top, a cow and calf a bit lower on the hill, a group of 4 even lower on the hill to the left of those... and 3 on the right near the edge of the timber. Then when I’m scanning back over the herd I’ll say to myself... ok.... 4, 2, 4.... and 3. We all know bulls can hang out on their own a little away from the crowd. In the evening it’s common for them to be the last one to step out in the open. So if at one point I’m doing my count and all of the sudden there’s an extra elk in one of those groups I know it’s worth zooming in on to see if there are any antlers.

The other thing I do is determine which is the lead cow and where she’s heading. Uphill toward a saddle? Downhill to a flat spot on a finger etc. Since it’s going to take you awhile to get over there you should take some time and try to determine where those elk are going and how fast instead of where they are now.

88man

FNG
The real question is how far away can you tell its a Bull or a shooter bull

ckrhtr

FNG
I have been able to count points on 2 separate occasions at pushing 3 miles. Sitting on my deck I can count the number of cows in Farmer Johnsons field 7 miles down the road. I however have not been able to spot any of the goats that are in the Ruby's yet, which according to google earth is just over 11 miles. To answer your question I don't think that spotting elk at 5 miles is out of the question, but figuring out if it is worth chasing them might be more difficult.

Last year looking at a steep face with early sun, found elk rutting at 6.5 miles with 12ELs. Looked like bright yellow gnats milling around on a green tinted window accross the room.

Sled

WKR
One of my usual glassing spots is 4 miles away. I use 8x30 binos and a spotter to verify. Though I am looking to get something in between for glassing the shadows.

Daytime glassing you'll be limited by the conditions. Mirage and smoke are difficult to deal with. Obviously rain and snow can be problematic too.

CJohnson

WKR
I spotted elk at first light last year on the first day with my surgically enhanced biological spotters about 1.5 miles out.