How far can you shoot off a backpack?

DaleW

WKR
For me I haven't seen any difference in accuracy when taking my time. The main advantage of the bipod for me is using it to get steady quickly. I find that when I'm breathing hard and my heart is racing, loading the bipod helps tremendously with steadying the rifle. If I have tons of time to relax there doesn't seem to be a big difference for me as long as i have rear support.

The furthest I've shot off a pack to kill an animal was an elk around 610 yards. The situation did not allow for the use of a bipod.

Laramie

WKR
Very little difference for me if any. I learned off of a backpack. I do use a Harris 12-25 now so I have more versatility.

BAKPAKR

WKR
If I remember correctly, I was shooting rocks at a little over 800 yards in the first photo below and I am pretty sure I could have gotten a deer. It was “off a backpack,” but a somewhat different set up than I suspect was contemplated by the thread title. A little over two months later, I shot a sheep at 417 yards the same way (but at a little different angle).

IMG_0612.jpeg
IMG_0819.jpeg

scott85

Lil-Rokslider
If I remember correctly, I was shooting rocks at a little over 800 yards in the first photo below and I am pretty sure I could have gotten a deer. It was “off a backpack,” but a somewhat different set up than I suspect was contemplated by the thread title. A little over two months later, I shot a sheep at 417 yards the same way (but at a little different angle).

View attachment 583303
View attachment 583305
Look at all that gray hair.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Multiple 800ish (810-850) yard confirmed kills on big game in this position. Bipod as front rest and backpack as a mid rest/something to help stabilize my quads/core muscles. Using legs/hips as extra stability in this sort of formation. Helps if you have a tree or large rock to lean your back against as well. This one takes a lot of field practice but once you learn how to stabilize and use the correct muscles it’s incredibly stable and repeatable.

IMG_3187.jpeg

I turn my backpack long ways instead of the popular “sideways” lay down. I use this configuration whenever available (not always feasible when hunting big game). This position has been used to kill coyotes past 1,200 yards. Big game past 1,100 yards.

IMG_3119.jpeg

Bluumoon

WKR
Cold bore challenge says 50:50 at 600. I regularly practice at 675 off backpack and bino harness fo rear rest, usually ends up being 8 or 9 of 10 in fair winds.

4th_point

WKR
@Formidilosus challenged me to ditch my bipod a few years ago and really see how far I could shoot from a backpack. Two years later I have a pretty good idea of what I am capable of. How about you?
Cool topic. Looking forward to the replies.

Back in 2015 - 2016, I was obsessed with shooting light-ish rifles off of my pack. Tikka SL 300 WM, then a Kimber 84M 7mm-08.

Since then, my rifles have gotten heavier and I started using a Spartan bipod. I still shoot off of my pack for practice but it isn't as hard with the extra weight. And I've added a tripod to the mix, which is relatively new to me so I've focused on that more.

Anyway, I don't have the Kimber anymore, but looking at my notes/pictures I was good out to ~675 yards with decent conditions but it was starting to push it for me with that setup. I definitely shot farther but I want to say that ~600 was my comfort zone.

Lot of rifles have come and gone since then!

Jason

018.JPG

021a.jpg

Juan_ID

WKR
I have ditched the bipod while hunting but am guilty of shooting primarily from a bipod during range time. 🫢 I do know I need to practice more off my pack and trekking poles. It’s pretty amazing how stable you can get using trekking poles and a backpack. I did shoot this group off my pack last year at 450 with the 223. The target was a 7” gong, based off that I’d say I could probably do 500-550 off my pack “comfortably”… at the range.
E72E8F14-373D-40DC-B719-E8B12E57EC44.jpeg4F8826EA-17A4-4A12-A8C4-4608EADECA18.jpeg