How far will logging activity push elk?

Sobrbiker

WKR
Got into the area I scouted for my first elk hunt (solo late archery) yesterday and there was no fresh sign to be found at first area that had tons 2 weeks ago.
Was moving to plan B area and ran smack into logging operations.

It’s 1am on opening morning of my hunt, and I’m up to pee and wondering how far the operation that’s active and has been for the last couple weeks will push elk?

Wapiti1

WKR
My experience has been about 1/4 to 1/2 mile in early archery season. I've never encountered logging later.

Jeremy

I was helping my dad with a cow elk hunt many years ago in North Central Arizona and there was some logging going on in the area. We found that the elk were actually attracted to the downed trees and were coming in and eating what we thought was mistletoe out of the tops of trees. The loggers we spoke with told us about it.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Northpark

WKR
Ya I’ve worked with a lot of loggers. A lot of them shoot elk and deer at work. Animals don’t really move far from logging ops. And yes they will be standing there eating fresh tops on the ground.

GoBig

FNG
Not far, they will be in there eating off the timber that has been felled. Look around the edges of the unit and check for sign or talk to the loggers.

Rainyday

FNG
I’ve seen elk before in active clearcuts with the machines still parked there. In my experience they don’t seem too bothered by logging. The loggers and foresters around here are the best people to talk to when looking for elk

There's a nice ridge I like to hunt. From one peak I can see a guy who logs there a lot during archery and early rifle. Maybe 100y away I was pinned down earlier in the year in the middle of a bugle fest. Elk everywhere surrounding the logging, clearings around the logging, and maybe even in the clearing this guy uses. Bottom line, active logging may push them back some but I wouldn't let that be a determining factor.

As far as seeing fresh sign 2 weeks ago, that's a crap shoot. It could be that elk just move a lot and haven't been in that area for a few days. Or it could be they've moved on and that spot is not part of their winter range. Sorry, that's very little help. Archery I look for sign and move on.

We've taken elk within 1/4-1/2mi of active thinning operations. IME they don't necessarily move all that far if they have decent cover and feed adjacent to the activity. I'd proceed with your plan B, evaluate the area, and then move on if you don't find anything.

it is not like an animal has never gotten a ride in a tool box from a loggers truck.

I have heard they come out of the tool box way harder than they went in.

Marble

WKR
They will travel as far as needed to feel safe and undisturbed.

If easily accessible food exists, they will travel back and forage.

Check the area and see what kind of fresh sign you see.

If there are loggers in the area...ask them. Potential goldmine.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

I fell timber for quite a few years. I’ve killed elk in my strips. As alluded to above, they like the fresh dirt and felled trees. Lots

Gila

WKR
Got into the area I scouted for my first elk hunt (solo late archery) yesterday and there was no fresh sign to be found at first area that had tons 2 weeks ago.
Was moving to plan B area and ran smack into logging operations.

It’s 1am on opening morning of my hunt, and I’m up to pee and wondering how far the operation that’s active and has been for the last couple weeks will push elk?
Miles....find somewhere else to hunt. My number two area was a bust. Went 7 miles away and shot my bull on no. 3 area

Olympics777

Lil-Rokslider
I was hunting white tails yesterday and I saw a nice six point bull a few hundred yards from an active logging site. It doesn’t push them too far.

OP
Sobrbiker

Sobrbiker

WKR
Wow you haven't even hunted yet and are asking for help...
Go hunt and learn
Last thing I would do on my hunt would be on my phone asking internet questions
Thanks for the input-perhaps you missed the “1am and up to pee” part. I put 5mi on my boots the prior day and found no sign fresher than about two weeks old.

By the way, AZ elk aren’t exposed to logging operations like they are in many other states hence the question. Perhaps I should’ve clarified that.

Thanks for the input-perhaps you missed the “1am and up to pee” part. I put 5mi on my boots the prior day and found no sign fresher than about two weeks old.

By the way, AZ elk aren’t exposed to logging operations like they are in many other states hence the question. Perhaps I should’ve clarified that.
How did opening day go? I completely understand that frustration/ discouragement. A few years ago, I drew a good late buck tag and when opening day rolled around, everywhere that I scouted in the summer was in the middle of a prescribed burn.