How long did you hunt before you went for an elk?

Loggerdude

Lil-Rokslider
12 years old shot a 5 point in thick timber and brush with an old 30-30 almost 50 years later and still going for it.

shot a few wild pigs, a few blacktail deer. Saw some elk hunting pictures in the snow. Swore I would never do that until I got drunk at a RMEF dinner and bought an elk hunt. That was 31 yrs ago and I go every year now.
Sometimes when I am hiking in snow freezing my balls off I wonder about that twist of fate....no not really.

OP
G
Hoping everything works out and it will be next year. I'll be 36, but I've had the dream of doing so for probably 15 years now. Never thought it was a real option until I started watching Randy Newberg....I wish I could find someone to go archery elk hunting with, but I'll have to live with a rifle hunting buddy for now.

Hope to see you post about it in the future man

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i went "hunting" once with a bow last year. had a friend that was going to a high fence ranch in Texas, i sat in the blind and they put corn 20 yards out from me. we waited less than 10 minutes and 5-6 doe walked up, started eating the corn, the guide said "shoot that one" and I did. After that and the meat from it, I said OK time to go elk hunting rather than this nonsense. Planning a trip to CO next year.

OP
G
i went "hunting" once with a bow last year. had a friend that was going to a high fence ranch in Texas, i sat in the blind and they put corn 20 yards out from me. we waited less than 10 minutes and 5-6 doe walked up, started eating the corn, the guide said "shoot that one" and I did. After that and the meat from it, I said OK time to go elk hunting rather than this nonsense. Planning a trip to CO next year.

Hahaha thanks for the laugh. Good luck next year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shot my first white tail at the age of 9 in 1996. Didn't go on my first elk hunt till October 2018 at the age of 31. Killed on the first trip. Hooked but given kids and the stage of life I'm in, have only been one other time in 2022. My buddy killed on the 2nd day and we were in elk the entire time. Hoping to go in another year or two.

Obsessed1

Lil-Rokslider
I was 23. My boys are fortunate they got to start at birth lol. This year my 12 year old helped call in two different 5x5s an hour apart in archery season. First one was 8 yds second was 14yds from our shooter who was using a recurve. Couldnt seal the deal but my son was hooked on calling. A couple weeks later my 9 year old helped me call in a 5x5 to 35yds and i killed it with my 45-70.. i have 5 boys and all of them are involved in elk hunting.. we kill at keast one every year.

vanhoorn

FNG
Been hunting whitetail in Wisconsin for the last 15~20 years. Finally making the jump to elk next fall in Idaho.

I hunted whitetail in Wisconsin until I was 29 when I went on my first elk hunt in CO. Since that first trip, when I told the wife I would only go every three years, 11 years later, I have increased to three trips out west per year.

Mcribs

FNG
25 years hunting duck/whitetail where I lived. Then moved to elk country, and wish I would have traveled here sooner.