How long have you been at your current job?

robtattoo

WKR
12 years, 8 months, 7 days, 6 hours & 14 minutes.

I'd have quit 12 years ago, but I kinda own the place & my US residence is job reliant.

kfili

Lil-Rokslider
1.5 years- was at the old job 7 years before that and dont think I would have made it one more day-sometimes I find myself daydreaming about "moving up" but man I love what I do now- I think its still a carryover from hating the old job so much

rideold

WKR
26 years. Have enjoyed most all of the time and will go another 4-6. It has been a great job and the team I work with is fantastic. Couldn't ask for more than that. Plan on retiring the day before Dusky Grouse season starts here in CO....no coincidence at all :)

TheGDog

WKR
A thought I wanted to mention... you also need to take into consideration when other companies make you an offer for more money, do they have an established userbase/market that would facilitate they're being able to advance that pay up later on?

Also.. find someone you know that works in HR... and ask them to let you know what the typical going rate is for hiring someone in YOUR locality in the position you're considering. This gives you intel on how THEY are viewing/valuing the experience history that you bring to the table.

Do they do bonuses? What's their target revenue for acheiving their desired EBITDA? Do they look on track to be fully funding bonuses this year? How long to you have to work there before you're considered vested and can earn bonus money?

3 months.....Changed companies after 5 years. 30% pay raise and can work from home (hunting camp) 100% ...no more going into an office. At 43 years old, I don't have the energy or motivation to go balls to the wall and build a business. The people I know who do whatever they want (hunt/fish during the week) do own their own businesses, and they make alot more money than I do, but, they started when they were in their 20s. A couple were actually handed the business by their Dad...... At this point they aren't working very hard at all.

I'm not a cheerleader for Dave Ramsey by any stretch of the imagination, but one thing I have heard him say many times over is that the majority of folks who are wealthy got that way by investing consistently over time. In other words, I don't think there is anything to be ashamed of for being a lifelong W2 employee. As long as you are saving your pre-tax dollars into retirement vehicles, there should be no reason why you can't have several million dollars by the time you hit 67.

TheGDog

WKR
3 months.....Changed companies after 5 years. 30% pay raise and can work from home (hunting camp) 100% ...no more going into an office. At 43 years old, I don't have the energy or motivation to go balls to the wall and build a business. The people I know who do whatever they want (hunt/fish during the week) do own their own businesses, and they make alot more money than I do, but, they started when they were in their 20s. A couple were actually handed the business by their Dad...... At this point they aren't working very hard at all.

I'm not a cheerleader for Dave Ramsey by any stretch of the imagination, but one thing I have heard him say many times over is that the majority of folks who are wealthy got that way by investing consistently over time. In other words, I don't think there is anything to be ashamed of for being a lifelong W2 employee. As long as you are saving your pre-tax dollars into retirement vehicles, there should be no reason why you can't have several million dollars by the time you hit 67.

Ditto re: making use of pre-tax 401K withdrawals at max levels. I WISH I'd starting doing this much sooner. But having a couple "do-overs" in marriage has a way of sucking cubic dinero outta ya.

cobbc03

Lil-Rokslider
I've been at my current employer for 2.5 years. Don't let 36 hours change your opinion, look at it as a whole. My bosses know my aspirations, and will help me get there. There are no substitutes for happiness. As others have mentioned, owning your own business is a 24/7 gig. I started a mowing company on the side this spring, I spend half my free time thinking about how I can improve and grow. My full time job is so much easier, but owning your own business is great.

I have in my 21st year of teaching technical trades at a high school. I work 4 days a week, 9 months a years. It is not a high paying job but it is a great job that I usually quite enjoy. The retirement and benefits are great.
I also own a small business (started it in 2007). At time it has been very stressful yet it has made me far more money than teaching has. Being a business owner is not what a lot of people expect. There is a lot that can go wrong and if you are not careful, you can easily bankrupt yourself. The business is winding down considerably but I am fine with that. At 50, I am doing a lot more hunting.
I also am a licensed Real Estate agent. I have been doing that for 9 months. I do most of my work when I am off of school in the summer. I am very happy with it and should have started earlier.
I tell my kids to start with a good base job and then start a side hustle. If you work hard and are not afraid to take advice from others in the same industry, you can do well. My business has paid for a lot of hunting :)

Billinsd

WKR
30 years, 11 months, 10 days, 7 hours, 13 minutes and I'm not sure about the seconds?

JohnOD

FNG
22 Years designing cabinets for a high end residential design build firm. 18 years with my prior employer. I tend to stay put.

guylaga

Lil-Rokslider
Shipping Operations with a Maritime Firm.

Going on 2 years, previous to that I was doing the same thing with another company for 5 years.

Better pay at the first job, but now I have a much better work / life balance and awesome benefits.

Sled

WKR
I'm 16 years in as a ski patroller. I obviously don't do it for the money. For a while I did Wildland fire in summer to make back some cash but having a family ended that. It was adventurous and kept my attention, like ski patrolling. I've worked with and hired several professionals from engineering, accounting and other higher paying backgrounds. They all got sick of work sucking the life out of them. Now each day is different, no groundhog days.

Find passion in your work and start enjoying your job.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
19.5 years of doing what I do with four companies. First company 8 years, second 9 months, third 8 years, fourth 8 months, fifth but same as the third company 9 months. The two short term were small local businesses that apparently just aren’t my thing 🤷🏻 . I haven’t liked my job for ten years, I enjoy the work but the politics and working conditions and lack of growth kill me. I would love to just walk away but I have no hard skills to apply to anything else.

SWOHTR

WKR
10.5 yrs. Going on 2 months at the new assignment with about 16 mo left. 9 years to "retirement" and then I can start my next gig. Haven't decided if it'll be a NAVFAC crane operator, monster truck driver, or rumrunner.

OMB

WKR
Around 10 years with the company that hired me out of college. I'm on my 5th or 6th role at this point, on my 3rd (and hopefully last) move. There's been times I've been frustrated enough to drop my resume elsewhere, times I've been asked to take on projects that I wanted nothing to do it, but there's also been several times they've been more than accommodating than I've deserved and I get a ton of flexibility with my schedule to do cool stuff and hunt a lot. I've traveled and lived in parts of the country I would have never otherwise seen.

I come from a family of business owners and would I like to have my own company? Sure, but I also know how much stress and work running a business can be firsthand. My opinion could change in the future, but I see my sweet spot as eventually going to a smaller, privately held company where I could get an ownership stake when I'm finally done with corporate america. Seems like the best compromise for me personally.

12 years at current job, all while getting married, raising kids, building an acreage so doesn’t hardly seem like it’s been that long since it went so fast. Stress of shift work sucks although I wouldn’t have been able to afford same benefits in other lines of work.

Only regrets were that I didn’t keep financial flexibility to what I want when I want, but I probably would have budgeted the same to get mortgage paid off and save.

Everybody has already made my points but I'll add them just in terms of another vote. If you don't like where you're at and don't think you're going to advance, almost all industries are clamoring to hire good people right now. Go find yourself something you like better. Robby laid out ownership very well: more risk, more financial reward, and more freedom. In the other hand, employees are hard to deal with, everything ends with you, and you are NEVER off duty. I was fortunate enough to find a spot that got right out of school. 8 years in I own it all. I feel all the good and bad of it, but in the end the headache is worth providing better for my family.

It seems like more people today bemoan not being in their dream job and loving every minute, where talking to my grandparents' generation they were all very thankful to have any job. Keep in mind that if you have any way to support yourself and your family that is a huge blessing. It actually puts you in a worldwide minority; literally 10s of millions of people don't have enough food to eat. This is no personal attack in any way, just something to keep in mind. You should always look to better your situation as well as be thankful for what you have.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

ScottinPA

WKR
16 years and one week. Longest I've been at one company. I came on early after the company was brought out of mothballs. Got good days and bad. When bad significantly outnumber the good, I'll look. Decent benefits and vacation. Location is good.

Noticed a trend: company treats you really well for about one year (I call it the honeymoon stage), after that you're a hack. Some people get frustrated easily about it and move on. I look at it as I know I'm good at what I do and as long as the paychecks keep coming, I'll put up with it. Plan to retire in 9 yrs.

9yrs as an Leo where I currently am. Started 2 days after I got out of the Marine Corps. It’s all I’ve ever wanted to do and would do it until they forced me to retire. Unfortunately I think I’m being fired over the vaccine mandate. Luckily I have my own small business and do small construction/landscaping jobs. It’s a crappy time as that work slows during the winter but I’ll be able to fish and ride my sled a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: