How many MT Non-Resident Licenses did MTFWP actually sell in 2021?

Erict

WKR
The writer is mixing apples and oranges in an effort to stir resident hunters. In other words, I call this article misleading.

cgasner1

WKR
Would be curious to how it is miss leading that number shouldn’t cross 17k let alone by that much

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
Yeah, this article is shoddy at best. It's going off of numbers of tags as number of hunters. How many B tags were bought for elk by people who already drew? Same with antlerless deer tags etc. You can't even buy some of those tags unless you've already drawn a tag. This is sensationalizing at best.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

bsnedeker

WKR
Yeah, this article is shoddy at best. It's going off of numbers of tags as number of hunters. How many B tags were bought for elk by people who already drew? Same with antlerless deer tags etc. You can't even buy some of those tags unless you've already drawn a tag. This is sensationalizing at best.

You absolutely can buy B tags without drawing a general tag. Guys don't draw the general but they want to come hunt so they buy B tags and come hunt.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

mtnkid85

WKR
If you add up all those tags we have quotas on plus the outfitter handouts from last year you come up with 27,515 subtract that from the grand total of 59,395 and that means we sold 31,880 to that nonresident native (quota: unlimited), nonresident youth (quota: none), nonresident college student (quota: none), and 454-Agreement (quota: none) combination licenses!? That seems really out of whack!

sneaky

"DADDY"
If you add up all those tags we have quotas on plus the outfitter handouts from last year you come up with 27,515 subtract that from the grand total of 59,395 and that means we sold 31,880 to that nonresident native (quota: unlimited), nonresident youth (quota: none), nonresident college student (quota: none), and 454-Agreement (quota: none) combination licenses!? That seems really out of whack!
Think of all that money they brought in though. Every state legislature is in love with money.

mtnkid85

WKR

It is not, the article is specifically talking about licenses and permits sold, it makes no mention of number of hunters.

mtnkid85

WKR
Think of all that money they brought in though. Every state legislature is in love with money.

That is true! However, all those mentioned tags are sold at about half price compared to the regular non resident tags or in the case of the 454 free. So they did bring in money, but not at the rate we've agreed upon for all the other non residents.

S.Clancy

WKR
As a resident, Im not really surprised by those #'s. But then I also knew that the 17000 was only for big game combos, there are other options. I also think the author is being misleading by not posting a full breakdown of licenses by category, his intention is obvious.

I don't think this should be much of a surprise. I'd also guess that the number of tags was way more than the number of hunters. My group of 3 count for 6 of those totals, and they were all B tags

I thought the article clearly explained the situation. It explained the 17k cap legislation and the subsequent legislations that have created additional quotas, plus the B tags and others that don’t fall under the 17k cap.

Hey guys, I went on my first NR big game hunt in Sep of last year. My brother and I chose MT, because we could draw with 0 points in the Bob instead of waiting for years building points in other states. I totally respect residents having the highest percentage of tags, and I have similar feelings to NR whitetail hunters that come to Iowa. However, they are spending more than $350 for the same tag that costs me like $28.

Here are the numbers from our trip just for some perspective. My NR deer/elk combo cost me $1,315.93 according to my 2021 budget. Outfitter cost me $4,550. Bear tag was $350. Grand total just for the outfitter and tags was $6,215. There were 6 NR in camp the week we hunted and everyone had deer/elk combos, bear tags, and a few of the guys had wolf tags. So our single group contributed more than $37,000 to the MT economy during our stay, not including hotels, restaurants, and gas.

I love the area we hunted and the MT folks that stopped us to talk about my elk. The men and women that waved and gave countless thumbs up to the pickup with Iowa plates as we drove down the road were just awesome. Hunting my a$$ off in the most difficult terrain I've ever seen and killing a 345" gross 6x6 in the Bob Marshall Wilderness was priceless.

bsnedeker

WKR
Pretty sure the 17k cap is just for the big game combo…
It is, but the point is there is supposed to be a limit in NR hunters and FWP keeps finding ways to cram more of them into the woods every year.

It's getting out of hand, that is the point this author is trying to make. He's spot on in my opinion. This is not sustainable...MT isn't CO and I don't want it to be.

It is, but the point is there is supposed to be a limit in NR hunters and FWP keeps finding ways to cram more of them into the woods every year.

It's getting out of hand, that is the point this author is trying to make. He's spot on in my opinion. This is not sustainable...MT isn't CO and I don't want it to be.

It will never be CO. I have been denied 2x trying to hunt MT in the past 4 years.

The extra ~3k outfitter tags last year wasn’t cool. Those are gone this year with their clients now being the top of the list for the 17k.

bsnedeker

WKR
It will never be CO. I have been denied 2x trying to hunt MT in the past 4 years.

The extra ~3k outfitter tags last year wasn’t cool. Those are gone this year with their clients now being the top of the list for the 17k.

You were denied a general tag, if you'd wanted to hunt Montana you could have easily bought a B tag in the surplus draw or OTC. We have no limit on NRs in those things. As Mtkid pointed out earlier, there is also no limit on a bunch of other tags (nr native, college kids, etc.) that are the same as a combo license. I believe we need caps on all of those things.