How Many Nights Solo?

Kay9Cop

FNG
I never really considered myself a social person, that is until I went on my first solo hunt. About day 3 I think I started talking to myself. On day 4 I saw another hunter and actually hiked over to him to talk because I was lonely.

Now I take my wife with me on every hunt. She doesn't hunt, but she likes to camp and hike...and she'll carry meat out. :)

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I never really considered myself a social person, that is until I went on my first solo hunt. About day 3 I think I started talking to myself. On day 4 I saw another hunter and actually hiked over to him to talk because I was lonely.

Now I take my wife with me on every hunt. She doesn't hunt, but she likes to camp and hike...and she'll carry meat out. :)

I would say you married up if she will help pack meat out of the hills. Haven't gotten mine excited about that part yet. She will camp, still working on the hunting though.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
As with everyone else, after about day 4 I want someone to talk with about the days festivities and action!

sab

Lil-Rokslider
I deal with the loneliness during solo hunts by keeping a daily journal. I've never done that in day-to-day life, but on a solo hunt, it keeps my mind busy in the idle time. Plus, I figure if something ever happens to me, at least my wife will be able to read about my thoughts and experiences during my last hunt! :)

Regards,
Scott

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I used to solo hunt a lot more in my late teens and early 20s. Then I got married, now I'm lucky if I go for more than 3 days solo. Otherwise she's coming along at her insistence. I do still manage a overnighter or 3 day/2 nighter, but i try to leave those trips to high mileage crappy terrain more of a physical endurance test for the up coming season than an enjoyable affair. :D

I used to solo hunt a lot more in my late teens and early 20s. Then I got married, now I'm lucky if I go for more than 3 days solo. Otherwise she's coming along at her insistence. I do still manage a overnighter or 3 day/2 nighter, but i try to leave those trips to high mileage crappy terrain more of a physical endurance test for the up coming season than an enjoyable affair. :D
yep ^

vcb

WKR
I'm with Ryan. After 5 days I'm ready for a hot shower. I do absolutely love being in the backcountry solo though. I feel really comfortable back there. I have a routine. Usually get back to my tent by 830pm make a mountain house, gather my gear for a early start. Get in my tent pop a couple Tylenol Pms and read my book till I crash. I look forward to it every year. I have to go 3-4 miles back solo. Don't really know why. I'm not happy doing anything else. Like rosinbag said, as soon as u leave you can't wait to get back.

man.....the longest i've hunted solo was 19 days straight and when i started my pick up to head home i was wishing i could stay another 19 days.