How many of you can hunt small game in Spring?

philos

Super Moderator
Staff member
I know there are some spring squirrel seasons open. Anyone hunting small game in the spring and if so what state?

GSPHUNTER

WKR
Az. rabbit all year. Spring is always the best time, and this spring should be fantastic with all the rain.

JustinD

FNG
Rabbits in Alberta. Red squirrels if you’re on private. Mostly just consolation prizes when bear hunting.

I can hunt fox squirrels year around here in Idaho, spots are limited due to the fact they are mostly urban but I’ve found a few spots along the rivers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rogue Bay

WKR
We can hunt rabbit year round here in Oregon and just to the east of me a ways is an area where western gray squirrel is open year round as well. I still prefer fall personally though.

2muchhp

WKR
Our squirrel just closed at the end of March. We have some critters legal to shoot/hunt but none I eat. Well except for the occasional porky.😁

Zdub02

WKR
Our spring squirrel is a May -June season here in the East. Not the most enjoyable time to be out chasing small game

Not much here in South Carolina. Basically beaver year round. Mid size fame, coyotes and hogs, year round as well.

This time of year it's turkeys.

Pdzoller

WKR
Got a cottontail hunt next weekend. I’m hoping to get a couple dozen for the freezer. Oregon.

Pdzoller

WKR
Went cottontail hunting just this last weekend. Rabbits were absolutely covered with fleas and wormy as hell. I think it’s strange that I was just hunting them in the same area in February and they wasn’t a parasite anywhere on them. Temperature and weather conditions were about the same for both trips.

They sure are tasty little critters but sure aren’t as appealing when riddled with parasites.