Salmon Challis NF small game

Dented

WKR
I think I'm headed back to Salmon NF in mid late November. Does anybody know how the small game and upland hunting is, generally speaking, that time of the year? And for that matter, how's the fishing?

No, I don't want to know where you hunt, I'll find my own game.

I'm really just interested in general information. If I'm going to be there for a couple of weeks is love to get some hunting in.

Thanks!

Bout stepped on quite a few sage grouse the past week. A couple about made me have a need for a change of shorts. Also caught some rainbows, but after talking to a couple fish and game guys, I guess the salmon run from the ocean clear up into the creeks.

Spoonbill

WKR
without knowing the general area you are going it is hard to say but Ive shot some forest grouse in the Salmon-Challis NF before. Fishing can be good just check the regs on catch limits, closures etc. Idaho has a season on pine squirrels too.

OP
D

Dented

WKR
I'm thinking the area bordering Salmon, down to Challis. It's hunting in November that really has me asking questions. Is it generally any good, or should I just skip it? I've hung out in the St Joe NF in late November. Nothing but deer and the occasional rabbit.

Spoonbill

WKR
I'm thinking the area bordering Salmon, down to Challis. It's hunting in November that really has me asking questions. Is it generally any good, or should I just skip it? I've hung out in the St Joe NF in late November. Nothing but deer and the occasional rabbit.
You may be dealing with snow. You could pick up a wolf tag, as there are wolves in the area. If you go that route join Friends for Wildlife Management, they pay members for punching wolf tags.

OP
D

Dented

WKR
I thought about a wolf tag. I'll keep it in mind. Snow doesn't bother me. I'm just wondering if I'll have any small game around (typically) that time of the year to chase.