How many of you can hunt small game in Spring?

Rabbits in Alberta. Red squirrels if you’re on private. Mostly just consolation prizes when bear hunting.
Are red squirrels in Alberta generally big enough to be worth it? We have a few on our property that annoy the dogs to no end, have considered plinking one

Swamp Rat

FNG
Small game essentially is 15 Sept - 30 Mar in Michigan. Red Squirrel is year round and other "pests" like porcupine and such. Only hunting in the spring is turkey around me.

Swamp Fox

WKR
SC through the end of March.

NC has a new two-week season in mid-May, after turkey closes. Private land only.

Virginia has a June season, but it's closed on the NFs.

OP
philos

philos

Super Moderator
Staff member
SC through the end of March.

NC has a new two-week season in mid-May, after turkey closes. Private land only.

Virginia has a June season, but it's closed on the NFs.
South Carolina squirrel season actually ends on March 1st.

Nope. Im from Oklahoma and there are too many bugs and snakes. I usually wait for the first frost.

Choupique

WKR
We can squirrel hunt in louisiana in the spring but it's miserable to do. Do not recommend it. Leaves are already back on the trees, mosquitos and snakes out in full summer time force.

NRA4LIFE

WKR
When I moved to MO, the squirrel season started June 1st. I was jazzed the first year I lived there. I went out the first Saturday. That was the end of spring/summer squirrel hunting. I had never seen a tick before. I was introduced to around 50 that day. The hunt lasted 30 minutes or so. I stripped nearly naked at the trailhead, threw all my clothes in the back of my truck and hauled home scantily clad. Sorry if this is beyond PG.