How many use Chugach as an outer shell?

Weekender

WKR
I was thinking about using the chugach as an outer shell in all weather. How many do this or is it just to light? I'm really just looking for a shell and I don't plan on doing a ton of beating the bush. So if you have experience with the Chugach any info would be great. Thanks

PMcGee

WKR
I used my Chugach as my outer shell this year in Colorado. It wasn't very cold so I didn't use it much. Like 7mag said it is noisy. Last year I carried my guide as well but never used it so it stayed in the truck this year.

marc

Lil-Rokslider
I tried but for bowhunting I found it too loud. The C4E rain gear is quieter and works better for me.

Poser

WKR
The Chugach jacket isn't bad as far as noise, but you definitely don't want to wear the pants unless it is raining. It does fit a little loose, IMO, for continuous wear in all conditions. I wear the Guide jacket quite a bit, actually. Its cut more athletically, not as loud, and is good for a wide range of temps and activity. I just did 4 days out when the temps were low and I don't think I ever took the guide jacket off except to sleep.

OP
W

Weekender

WKR
I'm guessing not any louder then your topical hard shell coat? Main concerned was about getting over heated on hiking activities and durability of daily wear. More then not most of the terrain I hunt can be pretty open but windy with occasional rain. So with proper layering (down,wool,etc) I was thinking a shell might be my best option but I don't want to to fall apart just by using it either.

n2horns

WKR
Is yukon quieter? Says it is heavier but is the weight and durability a good tradento getnthe Yukon?

n2horns

WKR
Or is wearing the FirstLite Stormtight a better option in brown or cano? I have it brown but not worn it yet.

Stresd

FNG
I use the Chugach top in combination with Yukon bottoms for my sheep/goat hunts. Merino layered underneath depending on how cold it gets. Excellent in the rain/snow and breathes extremely well yet at the same time cuts the wind beautifully. Been in some really nasty wet cold Northern BC, Yukon weather with this setup with no problems. Have a puffy with me for when gets well below freezing.

To speak as of the durability, I've caught my chugach Pants on things that I was very suprised they didn't rip. I would say the material is very durable.

charvey9

WKR
As long as you have a good insulating layer, it works really well. It is an excellent windbreaker, and obviously waterproof. If you don't want to carry a softshell also, this is the way to go. I used the Chigach and SD jacket all season. Either way you are going to need some rain gear, so if you only have one jacket to buy I'd get the Chugach.

I also like the guide coat too, but it just is not required when you have Chugach and something to layer with. I don't pack it on long trips, but like to wear it on day trips when I'm pretty confident it won't rain. I have the Yukon gear too, but only bust it out in the nastiest of weather when wearing rain gear all day long is a given.

wpwarren

FNG
Is yukon quieter? Says it is heavier but is the weight and durability a good tradento getnthe Yukon?

I can't compare the noise of the yukon jacket to the chugache as I have never tried the chugache, but I bought the yukon to use as an outer layer and am pretty happy with it. It is a little noisy when rubbing against brush, but not so bad that I am worried about it and most of the time I won't wear it when stalking unless it is raining. The biggest downside to the yukon for me is the amount of space it takes up. I bought it over the chugache because of the increased durability, but if I had it do do over again I think I would choose the chugache. Can anyone compare the compressed size of the yukon vs. the chugache and the guide jacket?