Sitka Kelvin Lite Down vs Arcteryx Cerium Hoody

USMC22

WKR
I'm considering picking up one of the jackets. Would be for all around use in the North East (New Hampshire) where it's wet and cold for the better part of the winter, even with snow. I would use it as a mid layer under a shell when weather demands and as an outer lawyer when possible. Both have a combination of synthetic insulation and down. The Kelvin Lite Down is treated down. Really looking for input from someone who owns both.

Primary activities: Hiking, Snowshoeing, Scouting, Hunting, Alpine Climbing etc.

Bonus: If you own the Kelvin Lite 3/4 Pant and can leave a few comments on those as well would be great.

I called Sitka many times. Always got a response.
But recently I have been having trouble getting refunds on returns. I have to call them again today to see what's going on with my refunds.

I'm considering picking up one of the jackets. Would be for all around use in the North East (New Hampshire) where it's wet and cold for the better part of the winter, even with snow. I would use it as a mid layer under a shell when weather demands and as an outer lawyer when possible. Both have a combination of synthetic insulation and down. The Kelvin Lite Down is treated down. Really looking for input from someone who owns both.

Primary activities: Hiking, Snowshoeing, Scouting, Hunting, Alpine Climbing etc.

Bonus: If you own the Kelvin Lite 3/4 Pant and can leave a few comments on those as well would be great.

Is there something specific you’re curious about between the two? I own both and happy to provide input on.

OP
U

USMC22

WKR
@V2Pnutrition they both use a combination of down / synthetic.

Which is warmer?
Which layers better?
Which ones more durable?
Price aside which is better?
Would a significant savings on the Sitka sway your opinion on which to buy if you had it to do over?

@V2Pnutrition they both use a combination of down / synthetic.

Which is warmer?
Which layers better?
Which ones more durable?
Price aside which is better?
Would a significant savings on the Sitka sway your opinion on which to buy if you had it to do over?

Excellent questions. The synthetic parts of the Cerium are consolidated only to the spots most suspect to down migration (elbow area of the arms, armpits, etc.). The Sitka has the synthetic fibers “woven” into the down and throughout the jacket. The latter may appeal to you more if NH has wet seasons.

Beyond that, they’re really two different jackets with the Cerium being your typical “puffy”. With that said, it probably is easier to layer under a shell than the Kelvin.

Warmer is subjective, of course, but for the weight I would say the Cerium.

The Kelvin wins the durability test by a king shot. The Cerium would probably shred just seeing a patch of brush.

Because they are so different, I don’t know that I can classify one as better than the other or let a discount away my decision. If I wanted something strictly for warmth when glassing and to layer with a shell, I’d go Cerium. If I wanted something to weather while still hunting (albeit carefully- the Kelvin isn’t a brush buster either) or in the case of a little weather, I’d go Kelvin.

I’ll add this about the Cerium: for the weight, it’s levels above similar jackets at the same weight ( FL Brooks, OV NovaUL, etc.).