How much does this Bear weigh? Boar or Sow?

TheGDog

WKR
I'm 220 Lbs, compare the pic with me in it to the one with the Bear in it. I'm guessing 275-300Lbs range?

I don't have much experience with Bears. How much do you all think this Bear weighs?

Boar or Sow? (I'm thinking Boar, since he looks more upper body dominant to me)

Attachments

• STC_0017.JPG
    STC_0017.JPG
    497.3 KB · Views: 261
  • STC_0085.JPG
    STC_0085.JPG
    497.7 KB · Views: 263
  • STC_0086.JPG
    STC_0086.JPG
    498.5 KB · Views: 260
Solid 180, tough to tell sex without watching it move around. That fur gets to be deceiving how big they really are in their mid section and quarters. I’d shoot that bear any day if the week if that’s what you need to know.

I'll say it: it's a dink.

Quick visualization assessment:
* It is petite overall, there's way too much light underneath the bear, ears are still "big", has a small neck, and it has dainty ankles.
* Round 1 assessment: hello Booboo

Quick size comparison assessment:
* Bear hunters that bait and use barrels have a bench mark of 33" at the shoulder (height of a barrel). The horizontal branch is mid-thigh on you and just below the bears back. So what is the measurement to your mid thigh? If that was me in the photo, that bear's shoulder height would be about 27-28" which is well below the baiting barrel benchmark.
* What is your measurement from the left side of your butt to your right side of your butt? Double it to get the ballpark length of that bear (based upon the photos). My measurement is 16" so that would be a 32" long bear from the tip of the snout to its butt (if it was me in the photo). Throw in the tail length, and that is a 3 foot bear (square the hide measurement).
* Round 2 assessment: way too small

Other considerations that could override other assessments:
* Visual on its teeth? Pretty white? Yellow? Brown? Busted? Fully intact? Do not have so N/A (if worn/busted AND yellow/brown --> shoot).
* Front pad size? Do not have so N/A (if 5"+ --> shoot).
* Diameter of background trees (use in assessing length of bear)

Quick and dirty total assessment:
* Let it walk as it is a small ass bear.

Note: This is a quick and dirty assessment based upon the information provided as well as prior experience. It will not be 100% accurate 100% of the time but it'll give you a relatively close ballpark estimate.

The bear does have nice coloring and could be a pretty throw rug (small) or can make some pretty babies to hunt in the future.

But we all have different goals so if it floats your boat, go after it.
---------
Here is a bear for comparison; apologize for quality as I forgot my PhoneSkope and had to hand-hold the phone. This is an AZ desert bear and was 1 mile away. There's no light under the bear, the ears are small, and has a large thick neck. This bear will be about 350-375 pound range live weight.
Bear.png

Wrench

WKR
To be fair, a 170# bear is a very average shooter class bear in my area. The sow part is up to you.

OP
TheGDog

TheGDog

WKR
Oh believe me... if the Universe has this one walk by me, it's coming home with me. This one stood out among the pics and vids. So for the area, and ones that I've seen on the cams it's the top choice.

I was just curious what the more seasoned vets thought the weight to be. (Because getting to this place involves a horrible steep climb thru continuous buckthorn and blowdown)

And, was curious if I was right in thinking it's a boar. I only say boar because I'm comparing it to a video clip from nearby of a lesser one whose body shape kinda pointed out the difference another gentleman was speaking upon, about the ass being the larger trait you notice.

I know it's deceptive due to how long the fur might actually be.

Like how long do the hairs of their fur get?

OP
TheGDog

TheGDog

WKR
Since that climb majorly sucks, I'm thinking even with my son helping me split the load this'd be about the max I could likely do in 1 trip down. And it'd be freakin brutal at that.

An example pics to demonstrate the steepness. This is nearing the top when the shade of the pines starts to clear away the buckthorn and manzanita et al.

Attachments

• VideoCapture_20230706-184413.jpg
    VideoCapture_20230706-184413.jpg
    182.2 KB · Views: 54
not to rain on your parade but that bear is nowhere near 300lbs. If I was a betting man which I am I'd say 170-210lbs.

From the pics, I would guess it’s a standard 150# sow, maybe a little bigger, but not big

If you see it and shoot it, that will help with a more accurate assessment (just don’t sit 20’ behind it for a pic 😂)

OP
TheGDog

TheGDog

WKR
From the pics, I would guess it’s a standard 150# sow, maybe a little bigger, but not big

If you see it and shoot it, that will help with a more accurate assessment (just don’t sit 20’ behind it for a pic 😂)
OH I freaking hate when I notice that in people's pics! It'
s like ...Why? You'll have your chance at a bigger one if you keep at it, right? So if this particular one is "less than", no big whoop! Just be thankful the universe let one cross your path and hope for next time! No need in this deceptive stuff of forced perspective shots.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
No idea about size of bears. Pictures are often deceiving. I thought you were a ghillie suit kind of guy. :)

OP
TheGDog

TheGDog

WKR
No idea about size of bears. Pictures are often deceiving. I thought you were a ghillie suit kind of guy. :)
I definitely am, but this was just a mission to do the climb and retrieve the cams. I only took my sidearm this trip to help offset the weight of bringing the little spotter along, because I need at least like 4L-5L of fluids to make that climb thru all that buckthorn and blow-down.

On that day it was 55F-80F forecast for that area, and since I was just fetching cams... I arrived about 6a, rather than like 4:30am. So exposed to a little more heat on the climb up this trip. That FirstLite Leafy jacket and facemask are super lightweight though, so I always bring em with me, just in case I have a reason to do a sit on an area. No weight penalty for doing so, so why not? If anything, it helps you blend in so pesky noisy little turds like squirrels or Blue Jay's soon forget about you being their and stop making noise about your presence, warning everything else you're there.

Looks like
I'm 220 Lbs, compare the pic with me in it to the one with the Bear in it. I'm guessing 275-300Lbs range?

I don't have much experience with Bears. How much do you all think this Bear weighs?

Boar or Sow? (I'm thinking Boar, since he looks more upper body dominant to me)
maybe a young boar and I'd say 200-250 lbs