How much water?

Your body will absorb warmer water better than colder water and water with broth better than pure water.

Define “better.”

TX_Diver

WKR
At least 4 liters if I'm planning on being gone from the truck for awhile. I drink about a gallon at the day just sitting at my desk and walking around the jobsite. I also make sure to drink quite a bit before I leave the truck and have another gallon or 2 at the truck to refill if I make it back to the truck midday for any reason.

*zap*

WKR
Define “better.”

Well, I would consider 60 degree's fairly warm in general, not hot or cold. The local lake here had a surface temperature of 42 in mid November. Interesting study.

tdot

WKR
Define “better.”

Interesting study. But it was conducted at an ambient temperature of 100* f. It would be interesting to have the same study done at freezing or below freezing.

*zap*

WKR
My point was that its better to drink warm water than cold water and water with some type of broth or even pine needles in it should absorb into your system better than plain water. But I have no scientific studies to back that up....:love:

*zap*

WKR
I think if your run down you might heat up very cold water a little bit. I have been told by folks who were thru survival training that this issue was important. Especially if it is cold out.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Day hunts I leave the truck w/ a full Nalgene (32 oz) at the ready and another liter (Platypus) in my pack; the areas I hunt generally finding water (and treating it) isn't a problem if I need more. Most of my day hunts this year were in the 10-12 mile range and before sunup and after sundown and 2 liters was enough for most of them. No days were even approaching hot, not sure any of them approached even warm :)

Multi-day hunts I add a 2 liter Platy bottle that is filled near camp and left there, the same two liter strategy above is employed hunting out of camp.

ChrisAU

WKR
Been doing just that today. Mine is a Big Agnes non-insulated that weighs 1 lb. 10 oz. It's very comfortable, but I should be able to get an insulated pad for that weight, or a non-insulated pad that weighs half that.

Really liked my Thermarest Neoair X-Lite this past elk season, slept on it comfortably below 0*. I did get the large after that trip though because I wanted a bit more room for my arms, woke up frequently with my arms laying on the ground ha. My new large is 16.2 oz on my scale.

OP
Newtosavage
Really liked my Thermarest Neoair X-Lite this past elk season, slept on it comfortably below 0*. I did get the large after that trip though because I wanted a bit more room for my arms, woke up frequently with my arms laying on the ground ha. My new large is 16.2 oz on my scale.
Sounds good to me. I need to get one of those!

ChrisAU

WKR
Sounds good to me. I need to get one of those!

I previously had a Nemo Tensor Insulated, and compared it side by side with the Neoair with my wife. The Nemo is listed at 3" thick, while the Neoair is 2.5", and the Nemo is of course a few oz heavier. However, both me and my wife noticed that you could feel the ground below your butt when sitting up on the Nemo or with your shoulder when laying on your side where you could not on the Neoair which was the selling factor me, warmth and comfort wise.

OP
Newtosavage
It's all dependent on what's around. In the desert vs mountains vs rainforest are all vastly different answers.
Of course. I was just curious what most folks pack when they leave the truck, and why. Also looking for tips to save water weight. There are some great tips above!

My Sawyer mini came yesterday and I have been testing it out. I think it's going to be a great addition to my pack.

*zap*

WKR
I wonder which water filter is best if you are using it daily and are also dealing with well below freezing temperatures?......as far as the filter freezing?..And what precautions are necessary for preventing issues under those conditions?
Appreciate any information on that issue, thanks.

Last edited:

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
if it’s cold I don’t mess with a filter; I carry a half dozen Micropur or Aquatabs- with my two bottle setup one can be ready to drink while the other is being treated- it’s the same “system” I use on adventure races, no fuss, no muss :)

if it’s not too cold, I’ve been using a little MSR Hotshot w/ success

*zap*

WKR
One thing I know is that you can pre filter debris when using a water filter or boiling/treating water by using a coffee filter on the intake end of your hose or as a pour thru filter....

Elkangle

WKR
I try to drink a liter before I leave the truck in the am...2 liters in the pack will get me by...then another liter on the drive home and or with dinner...sometimes more

4ish liters a day for me

Rokwiia

WKR
That doesn't work in many places. I couldn't tell you how many ponds and springs I've seen on topo maps that are dry when I got there. Good way to really be screwed a long way from the truck. If you're in an area where the springs and ponds are really reliable, then yea, maybe so.

4 liters of water is nearly 9 lbs. Add that to a pack for multi-day trips that's already 30 lbs. and it makes up 25% of the pack weight.

I once did 52 miles in the Guadalupe Mts. of W. Tex, carrying all my water the whole way. Started out with a 5 gallon collapsable container in my pack that weighed 60 lbs. total. But I was younger then. LOL

I'm trying to find ways to cut weight and water seems to be an obvious place. My purifier weighs nearly a pound, and I've been looking at lighter options there but just haven't pulled the trigger on one yet.

I did 8 miles yesterday on 1 L of water. For whatever reason, I don't drink as much as most folks do. Maybe because I don't sweat that much? I'm going to start packing 2 L / day and 1L for day trips and see where that gets me.

Where I go the smallest pond in the area is 186' in length. That pond has never been dry. Maybe in other, more arid, places water sources can dry up in the dog-days of summer.

Were I going to such I region, I would take that dynamic into account when I reviewed the topo map.