How to Add Weight to Your Pack?

sont5413

Lil-Rokslider
Hey Guys, how are you adding weight to your hunting pack to simulate the hunt? I just stuffed some misc. things at the bottom of my pack (a few light kettlebells.). Not sure if having the weight at the bottom of my pack is an issue. Maybe that ain't a thing to worry about.

I aim to do some ruck type of work outs (i.e., hiking around with a heavy pack) until the Fall

Thanks!

MTJake

Lil-Rokslider
I take sandbags, put them in plastic bags so they don't leak sand, and put them up higher on my pack. This way I can customize the weight I want.

*zap*

WKR
I mount steel plates up high on the frame. Up to 45#(1-25# and 2-10#) in a molle radio pouch attached up high on the frame and if I need more it just gets strapped on with a cargo net or my MR load sling.

IMG_5436.JPG

^X-Curve with radio pouch^

I leave that on when I put the bag on for small-mid sized items that are heavy....keep the weight of those items up high.

I go with a sandbag strapped high up and tight to my back. I’ve reinforced the sandbag in a few spots with gorilla tape but it still has some flex.

Mt Al

WKR
I had a few bags of sand in leaky bags. Doubled up two (redundant) contractor garbage bags, poured in sand until it looked tube-ish/right shape, then proceeded to wrap this assembly in duct tape. I went nutz on how much duct tape because I didn't want to think about leaks. Made two of these sand tubes and they fit nicely in a day pack side by side, don't "sag" to the bottom. Worked well for me with what I had.

BAS

FNG
I picked up 70 lb tube of sand from Lowe’s, it was less than $10. I made it into a few different weight sand “pills” with duct tape and a plastic bag. Then I put it in the load shelf on my SG pack. Having a few different weights allows me to make it heavier when hiking but lighter for steps ups and other exercises.

zacattack

WKR
Hey Guys, how are you adding weight to your hunting pack to simulate the hunt? I just stuffed some misc. things at the bottom of my pack (a few light kettlebells.). Not sure if having the weight at the bottom of my pack is an issue. Maybe that ain't a thing to worry about.

I aim to do some ruck type of work outs (i.e., hiking around with a heavy pack) until the Fall

Thanks!

50 lbs Sand in a canvas bag, strap it on with a cargo net.

Attachments

• 81364AF7-0D26-4AC9-9C93-1EDC1F207173.jpeg
    81364AF7-0D26-4AC9-9C93-1EDC1F207173.jpeg
    390.4 KB · Views: 165
Reactions: CNW
I picked up 70 lb tube of sand from Lowe’s, it was less than $10. I made it into a few different weight sand “pills” with duct tape and a plastic bag. Then I put it in the load shelf on my SG pack. Having a few different weights allows me to make it heavier when hiking but lighter for steps ups and other exercises.

this is what I use. There are a few threads on this <might be time for a sticky>. I have tried lots of stuff over the years and Think sand is the way to go. I use play sand from Lowes or Home Depot. I spread it on a tarp For a few days to make sure it is good and dry. I put 10 and 20 pounds in a gallon zip lock. Add another ziplock. I tape it a bit. Wrap a contractor bag. Tape it a lot. Packing tape or good duct tape so it is slick and durable. I mix and match 10s and 20s to get the weight I want.

i also turned an old foam mat into a sleeve that I put a rolled up furniture blanket in the bottom of and then weights on top. That gets the load 10-12 inches off the floor of my pack.

A bag of deer corn or dog food. It's a bit more bulky than sand, softener salt.... so it fills the pack better and still provides some weight. With more dense items, you can end up with all the weight in the bottom of the pack, so it doesn't ride very well or act like a back country pack load.

The trail I use in the off season to train on is a steep elevation gain for 3.5 miles. I'll fill Large Nalgene bottles to the brim with water till I'm at my desired weight. By doing this I can empty them at the end of the trail so I'm not taking a beating on my knees on the way down which is quicker if I don't have to use trekking poles. Yes, I do carry the weight down sometimes but not sure if it really does any good. Any thoughts?

GrayGoose

Lil-Rokslider
I used paver sand for pack weight. Like said above, I too dry it out on a tarp before packing it in bags. When dry, I weighed out 100 lbs of sand into different amounts (10 lbs 20lbs etc). I put the sand in zip locks or contractor bags and then into cheap dry bags for durability.

I use old towels rolled up in the bottom of my pack to keep the sandbags up higher in the pack.

jfs82

WKR
Mine is full of books, a few full nalgenes, a tied off cloth bag full of rice I use as a heating pad and a few big cans of tomato sauce once i wanted to up the weight. So basically, whatever.

Ctitus25

Lil-Rokslider

I use these water bladders for weight. Plus, you can always dump it when your sick of carrying it. The bags are pretty heavy duty.