How to compare optics

TTT

Lil-Rokslider
How do you objectively compare resolution of binos & spotting scopes?
I’m thinking I need to put up the USAF resolution chart and look at it compratively through each instrument straight on, at angles, and under different lighting conditions. I don’t know:
1. How far away to put the chart.
2. How to compare resolution for high or low contrast objects.

OP
T

TTT

Lil-Rokslider
Reduction of number is the goal. They all look great to my eyes at home. Each seems to be fantastic for its intended purpose (hunting, birding, livestock check, and just general knock about). I just can not carry all of them afield at the same time to compare, which makes me reluctant to let any go.

Park several hundred yards from a cemetery. Reading the letters and numbers on headstones will allow you to find the limitations of any optic.

LaHunter

WKR
One thing that gets overlooked is atmospheric conditions. My optics around home (Louisiana) don’t produce near the quality of image as they do when I am in the mountains. The humidity and atmospheric density plays a significant role. This could ‘cloud’ your evaluation, depending on your location.

OP
T

TTT

Lil-Rokslider
I’m not sure whether my eyes are getting poor or what. It seems that the cheaper models of my optics don’t look much differently than the high end ones. If testing bears that out, my kids will be in line for a very nice early Christmas.

I’m not sure whether my eyes are getting poor or what. It seems that the cheaper models of my optics don’t look much differently than the high end ones. If testing bears that out, my kids will be in line for a very nice early Christmas.
Every 40+ year old rifle shooter needs to understand this: At some point your eyes will start to suffer from presbyopia. You will need to refocus each scope's eyepiece periodically so the reticle remains sharp and clear. If not aware of the condition you'll be unable to evaluate optic clarity. The good news for scopes is that you can adapt to a scope's quality potential by adjusting the eyepiece focus. Unlike a pistol sight, you don't need vision correction to see clearly through a scope. Easy fix!

If any of you are learning this for the first time... be prepared to feel a bit duped by what you thought was normal.

OP
T

TTT

Lil-Rokslider
Every 40+ year old rifle shooter needs to understand this: At some point your eyes will start to suffer from presbyopia. You will need to refocus each scope's eyepiece periodically so the reticle remains sharp and clear. If not aware of the condition you'll be unable to evaluate optic clarity. The good news for scopes is that you can adapt to a scope's quality potential by adjusting the eyepiece focus. Unlike a pistol sight, you don't need vision correction to see clearly through a scope. Easy fix!

If any of you are learning this for the first time... be prepared to feel a bit duped by what you thought was normal.

I absolutely agree with the need to adjust the eyepiece. I go through a quick routine to verify before every extended or critical use.

So far in my re-evaluation, I saw minimal resolution differences between my alpha and the next tier glasses for general observation of trees, bushes, pets, birds during good light at distances up to 800 yards. There were discernable differences in looking at the USAF resolution chart up to 200 yards. I think this was all from better contrast.

I still like Vortex Razor, Minox BD, and an older Zeiss Jena for deer and elk hunting and general use. Swarvo SLC is slightly better. The ELs, though, are something else with the flat field.