Testing Scopes for Optical Characteristics

I want to compare the performance of various optics—rifle scopes, spotting scopes, binos.
There’s a lot to consider.
#1 The “seeing” on any given day (or hour) will be different. I would like to digiscooe these comparisons for future reference, but for the archives to be at all meaningful I would need a standard to use for reference each time. Example, if I want to compare glass A to glass B today, I am also going to run my standard, same scope, same camera, same targets as every day before and after. That way if scope A that I test today looks phenomenal when I compare it to the scope I tested three weeks ago, I can also look at the results for the standard from that day three weeks ago and see that, oh, it looks dull too. Maybe the air was just dry and cool today.
Targets. What targets do I want—ranging, color, shaded… I want a 1951 AF target but also additional fun and meaningful targets also. And what distances? Far out. Also, close up. In between too.
Same camera. Same settings. No fancy automatic make my picture perfect firmware. No butterfly filter. Same alignment of the camera to the scope. That’s a tough one sometimes. Maybe a basic DSLR on its own tripod.
It will be a few years down the road before I get to give much time to it. What else do I need to think about in the meantime?