How to figure out what tags to put in for - Long off hunt

skywalkr

Lil-Rokslider
I’m an adult onset hunter and completely self taught but luckily have access to land here in TX to hunt on that has plenty of free roaming game (not high fence). As I have continued to hunt, this being my fourth season, the idea of going out west sounds more and more appealing. However, the whole process of picking out units, states, etc for where to put in for tags seems overwhelming.

I’m not looking to get out west to hunt for probably at least five years and I don’t mind going for quality units that will take longer than that to draw for. I feel like I need to figure this out sooner rather than later though so I can start accumulating points where it matters. Is there a good resource for figuring this whole thing out?

cmahoney

WKR
Gohunt compiles a lot of the data in one place if you want to pay for a year. You can use it to narrow down some areas then go to those state specific websites to gather more info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cmahoney

WKR
Gohunt compiles a lot of the data in one place if you want to pay for a year. You can use it to narrow down some areas then go to those state specific websites to gather more info.

cmahoney

WKR

In my opinion, the best resource or “overall view” of the different states and how the draw systems work is Epic Outdoors Magazine. I feel like they do an excellent job of recommending which states are worth it, which ones are not, etc. they also cover preference points vs bonus points...... random draw states, which ones you need to buy hunting license, cost breakdown etc.

I like how the magazines break out in monthly issues just before state draws but with plenty of time to research.

Furthermore if you have questions or want to know more you can call/contact them anytime and they are of the most knowledgeable guys around.

Well worth the 100.00 a year.

rob86jeep

WKR
Different states have different systems for drawing tags so I would pick a state or two first based off the draw system and proximity to your house in TX and go from there. You can alway figure out units later. CO and AZ would be good places to start buying points in due to how close they are and NM is a straight lottery so it's always worth putting in for when your ready to actually hunt. That would be my suggestion.

Beendare

WKR
Epic, Go Hunt and Hunting Fool are the big 3 when it comes to evaluating these limited draw areas in different states.

What you will find is the time line when starting in the draws for one of the top western units is typically measured in decades not years.

OP
S

skywalkr

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks guys, I’ll check those out. As for the decades thing, that’s why I figured I better start putting in now. Ok the bright side I have plenty of time to save up for the trip...

If your elk hunting? I wish I would have started in my 20's not my 30's . Go buy a tag in Colorado because it's close and start hunting. Even of its every other year. Imo it's the best way to learn. The 1st year we went we stayed in a condo in Colorado it was $150 a person plus gas and tags for around $1000. Not to bad for a 7 day gun hunt.

fatlander

WKR
Just go do it. Building points is cool, but hunting is cooler. OTC and non resident tags that require only a few points would be what I’d do now. You’ll be able to climb in a tree stand and a ground blind long after you don’t have the strength to climb the Rockies.

wapitibob

WKR
Better to have them and not need them, than to need them and not have them.
Apply and build Elk points in AZ and UT, they're cheap. Do the same for Elk/Deer/Antelope in WY, cheap as well. Apply in NM, no points. Maybe you'll get lucky and draw random. At that point, you can figure out how to make the trip work.

Fitzwho

WKR
Depends on how much you want/can spend every year also. I’m also from TX, and have been hunting out west since 2016.

Wyoming is a must for Deer, Elk, and Pronghorn, but not terribly cheap to build points ($125 per year to get a point for all three). You can get a point for every species available in Utah for another $40 ($165) on what it takes to get 3 in WY. Some Utah general deer tags can be had with 0-1 points. Everything else expect a wait.

I apply and/or buy points in 10+ states a year. Gives me lots of options, as the early draw results come out, I can change strategies based on drawing or not. I try to have one hunt per month for the fall (3-4).

Rich M

WKR
Imo you need to decide what you want to do and then start buying points.

Do start buying points.

If your 5 years out, start buying Wyoming Elk, deer and antelope points. They’re affordable and will leave your with plenty of options.

Fatcamp

WKR
Decide the landscape you want to see. Figure out where you can hunt that type of landscape.

For me it is high desert country for mule deer. I have located the areas that meet that criteria, educated myself on the draw structures for those areas, and moved forward.

Until you know where you would like to be it's hard to figure out what you need to do. My preferred landscape can take 2, 7, or max points depending on unit. Looking at draw odds should come after you find huntable country that is what you want to see and has plenty of public land.

Pabsy512

FNG
I'd recommend checking out antelope hunting in one of the western states sooner rather than later. It's easy to draw and almost guaranteed in some areas. They are supposed to be a lot of fun to hunt, good meat, and won't break the bank.

I've hunted in Texas for 15 years and getting the itch to hunt out west. A buddy and I are planning an antelope hunt for this fall.

wapitibob

WKR
I'd recommend checking out antelope hunting in one of the western states sooner rather than later. It's easy to draw and almost guaranteed in some areas. They are a blast to hunt, good meat, and won't break the bank.

I've hunted in Texas for 15 years and getting the itch to hunt out west. A buddy and I are planning an antelope hunt for this fall.

fixed it for you

get out there and have some fun

bowhuntrben

Lil-Rokslider
Don’t get too caught up in trying to chase glory units. I’d recommend going more often than trying to save too many points. For me, this is especially true in Colorado. It can be easy to find yourself in no mans land. That said, it is still a good idea to build points in as many states as you can afford.

If you’re wanting to be more selective on states then my research has shown Arizona to be a good state to build points (knowing it is still a long wait to be likely to get a good tag).

Wyoming is a good place to build points, particularly for antelope. I also hear good things about Wyoming’s general elk tag. If you start building points now, you will quite possibly be able to draw that tag in the timeline you suggested.

Utah seems to be the least worthwhile state to build points in (not counting extremely western states since I haven’t researched them).

I personally wouldn’t try building more than a few points in Colorado before using them if I were to start over.

Then there are states with no point system to consider when you are ready to go. States like New Mexico and Idaho have some great hunts that you have as good of a chance at drawing as any other nonresident.

Getting one of the magazines mentioned can be a good resource for looking into the systems more. Randy Newberg also has a lot of great info on YouTube you could look at

OP
S

skywalkr

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks to everyone who posted, all very helpful stuff. My biggest reason for not just getting out there and going for easy to draw units is I want my first hunt to be guided and I need to save up for that as well as work on my skills.

I don’t have any family or friends that hunt so I’d be going out solo and I would be pretty damn clueless about a lot of things the first time. This is the first year I’ve processed my own deer and that was an eye opener in itself. Trying to do it out in the field, especially if it was something like an elk, would be something I’d want an experienced set of hands helping me out.