Howa 7mm prc

Updownlr

FNG
Not sure if this is the right spot for this. I recently purchased a howa 1500 chambered in 7mm prc no muzzle break equipped. This gun currently has about 60rds through it, however I haven’t been able to get consistent groupings out of it . It’s seems to like the federal 175 eldx’s as it shot a .42 3 shot group this morning after multiple 1.5 to 2.5 inch groups.Doesn’t come evenclose to grouping 170 terminal ascent nor Hornady 175eldx. I have been shooting off of bags and seems the gun is far better than what I am achieving. Any tips for consistent magnum caliber shooting off of a bench. The recoil isn’t scaring me off but maybe I am not controlling the recoil properly and causing the inconsistency? The scope is a Burris fullfield e1 and base and rings are the dnz gamereaper everything is torqued to their specs. Thanks all!

Legend

WKR
People with a lot more expertise than me say if you don't like the results you need to either: 1)change the bullet or 2)change the barrel. (This is assuming scope and action are tight). So in your case I would change bullets. But what more do you want than 0.42 inches? Or do you feel that was just random chance?

I have seen Howa 1500 do really well once the right bullet was found.

Good luck

OP
U

Updownlr

FNG
I feel like the group was either a lucky one or I did everything 110% correctly, didn’t have any more rounds left to verify that group, but the groups before that were 2 to 2.5” groups. The terminal ascent was averaging about a 3” group and the Hornady 175 Eldx wasn’t even worth measuring.

Odd1out

FNG
1. Check all the screws ( action and scope) 2. Get another person to shoot it that is a decent rifleman
3. Still the same results. Take the stock off and see if anything is touching. Re assemble and follow howas procedure. My friend had the same issue with his 22-250 howa as yours. Once the proper reinstall was fine it shot lights out.
4. Try a box of hornady match
See where u end up after this

Sent from my SM-G986W using Tapatalk

OP
U

Updownlr

FNG
Thanks for the info! I will take it all apart tonight and retorque everything back to spec. I have not been able to find action screw tq values from howa however. I am also taking into consideration that it could very well be the nut behind the gun.

Odd1out

FNG
Thanks for the info! I will take it all apart tonight and retorque everything back to spec. I have not been able to find action screw tq values from howa however. I am also taking into consideration that it could very well be the nut behind the gun.
What kind of stock is it? Plastic?

Sent from my SM-G986W using Tapatalk

grfox92

WKR
This is the second Howa with accuracy issues thread in a few days.

I was just getting ready to buy a barreled action in 7PRC.

I hope these issues aren't indicative of new QC issues due to an uptick and sales, and in turn production, from the success of the Barreled actions from Brownells.

I hope you get ot figured out OP.

Sent from my SM-G990U2 using Tapatalk

OP
U

Updownlr

FNG
Yes it’s the standard hogue over molded stock I do believe!

OP
U

Updownlr

FNG
I can’t say for certain it is 100% the guns issue. I did shoot a .42 inch group once, I wasn’t able to verify. I also did follow the howa break in procedure even though it probably was a waste of time. The federal terminal ascent strung a 3” group horizontally so probably a shooter issue. It could just be a shooter shooting a magnum caliber and not having figured out the fundamentals yet.

grfox92

WKR
I can’t say for certain it is 100% the guns issue. I did shoot a .42 inch group once, I wasn’t able to verify. I also did follow the howa break in procedure even though it probably was a waste of time. The federal terminal ascent strung a 3” group horizontally so probably a shooter issue. It could just be a shooter shooting a magnum caliber and not having figured out the fundamentals yet.
Terminal Ascent shot 6" groups at 100 yards in a Tikka 300wm. ELDX shot 1" groups. Terminal ascent also shot like shit out of my 7mm08. Some guys seem to like them though.

MikeDeltaFoxtrot

Lil-Rokslider
Every rifle is different, and unless you are a hand loader, you will have to just keep trying different factory ammo.

That said, it sounds like you are unsure about your ability. If you are not capable of consistently shooting sub-MOA groups off the bench, then you need to focus on that before you spend a bunch of money on high-end ammo. Practice with a .308, .223, or even a .22 LR. Do some dry fire. Maybe take a class.

MThuntr

WKR
sounds like trigger control and flinching aren't helping. Have someone else shoot it that you trust. The triggers on the Howa's I've shot really would benefit from either a new lighter spring or replacement.

I'm suspect of the Burris FulField...2 have failed on my rifles. Not that it's the case but I'd be looking at the scope internals.

OP
U

Updownlr

FNG
Every rifle is different, and unless you are a hand loader, you will have to just keep trying different factory ammo.

That said, it sounds like you are unsure about your ability. If you are not capable of consistently shooting sub-MOA groups off the bench, then you need to focus on that before you spend a bunch of money on high-end ammo. Practice with a .308, .223, or even a .22 LR. Do some dry fire. Maybe take a class.
Have zero issues with my 308 shooting sub Moa groups out of a cheap 783. But there is obviously a recoil difference there. I will order up some more federal eldx and verify groups maybe that is just what it likes and everything thing else that has been through the barrel it absolutely hates. Thank you for the input!

bpitcher

FNG
OP, it sounds like you're on the right track with the Federal 175 ELD-X. I have not found my Howas to be very ammo picky, but I have noticed that my groups typically start to settle in a little better between 50-100 rounds down the barrel.

This is the second Howa with accuracy issues thread in a few days.

I was just getting ready to buy a barreled action in 7PRC.

I hope these issues aren't indicative of new QC issues due to an uptick and sales, and in turn production, from the success of the Barreled actions from Brownells.

I hope you get ot figured out OP.

For what its worth, my new 6.5 PRC CF barreled action grouped .87" on rounds 18,19, and 20 during barrel break in. Noticeable improvement in groups between rounds 10 and 20. I'd expect that to improve when I shoot again this week.