Hows Colorado Archery season been?

you.....

We must have been in the same honey hole.
First time elk hunt for me hunted the 8th-16th heard two bugles the last morning we hunted did get a bull on day 5 my dad called him in and he came from where we weren’t expecting (as every animal does) ran right into 20 yds from my dad while he was raking a tree, dad never seen the bull I didn’t have a shot, bull took off up over the ridge and I ran after him cow calling he was gone. Dad and I are standing discussing our plan for what to do next and here comes the bull back with his buddy spike, dad drops down a small ridge and starts calling again I set up and spike starts charging towards my dad the legal bull is taking his time then starts to leave I stop him as I’m pulling out my range finder and he starts leaving before I get a range on him I stop him again, I had a tree ranged at 30 where If he would of followed the script he was going to walk right to it, so I said tree is thirty that bull is standing at 60 (been shooting out to 60 all year I was 100% comfortable shooting to 60) nope arrow flys right over his back ( never will take a shot that far again without a range I know it was a dumb move on my part) the bull and spike take off the bull goes over the ridge and I run after him cow calling dad follows behind calling and as I get to the top there the bull is facing straight away from me I range him 53 yds he turns to the right takes two steps. Smoked him perfect quartering away shot he went 60 yds and dropped! I’m home now butchering him! 55 year old dad and I packed him out in two loads. I pushed my dad all year to get in shape for this we both drive truck for a living he lost 28 lbs and worked his a** off to come do this we live in Minnesota but he held up we hiked well over 50 miles that week in Colorado and he did awesome!

Attachments

• 687B2446-3EB5-4B7B-991D-01E8C9BD83EF.jpeg
    687B2446-3EB5-4B7B-991D-01E8C9BD83EF.jpeg
    629.1 KB · Views: 230
  • EC50FD96-3646-439C-B7FF-405347DF4E50.jpeg
    EC50FD96-3646-439C-B7FF-405347DF4E50.jpeg
    592.3 KB · Views: 235
  • D0E82576-D91A-469E-9A6E-C62C1EAA7E92.jpeg
    D0E82576-D91A-469E-9A6E-C62C1EAA7E92.jpeg
    615 KB · Views: 231

Patton

Lil-Rokslider
Hunted 9/3-9/12. We had bulls bugling and on two occasions had bulls come in quietly to under 25 yrds. Had a friend get to full draw but no shot opportunity. Really seemed to be picking up on the 10th or so. The areas we found in 2018 had not yet become occupied this year which was a bit of a surprise. We also did not find any additional water like I was hoping, but the seeps from '18 were still active.

We hunted 9/9 on public land in North Western CO. and the action was great! Lots of bugles, and the bulls were being really aggressive. We called in 6 bulls in the first 4 hours to 30 yards or less. Lots of close calls with a nice 6x6; however, I have no restraint at all when a decent bull presents a shot. The 5x5 in the pic came in to 25 yards, and I had to let the arrow fly. First time I have been lucky enough to shoot a bull the first day.

Attachments

• elk.jpg
    elk.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 167

ol dad

FNG
Hunted the 4th through 14th OTC, solo, in southern CO. Found sign from 8,000 to 11,000 feet but mostly a week to two weeks old. Freshest sign was 10k and up. Never saw an elk or heard an elk the first 9 days of hunting. Camped out of a tent at 8500'. On the 10th day at 2:00 p.m. I shook hands with a 5x5 at 11,000'. Came in to a bugle and subtle cow calls. Thick cover and the only shot he gave me was 1/4'ing to at 21 yds. Turned one loose and hit my mark. Found him piled up 100 yds down the mountain. Gps said 4.1 miles to camp.... Yay!

This was my first archery hunt and first elk and he made me earn every pound!

Attachments

• 20190914_090254.jpg
    20190914_090254.jpg
    584.1 KB · Views: 193

tdhanses

WKR
It was hot the first week and started to cool down last week. I was within 20-300 yards of elk most days. Passed on a multiple cows and a few small bulls, saw a nice 5x5 without a shot and a huge 6x.

Didn’t see a single bear and I usually see a handful each year.

Tons of hunters but they were all on main trails and roads, easy to get away from.

I will say though I watched a guy from TX walk out into a meadow about 40mins before dusk and take a pee in the middle of it and then he started yelling at someone on the phone.

Overall the early hunt was hard and while we were in them most days it was 1 or 2 elk herd sizes. 2nd to last day I was there I got into a herd of around 9 with a rag horn at 26 yards that I thought my buddy had a shot on but he only had the head visible.

Zero talking until the later part of last week and then only early in the morning and very lazy half hearted bugles. Did hear a few hunters going all out a few times that just made me laugh.

jog

FNG
...I will say though I watched a guy from TX walk out into a meadow about 40mins before dusk and take a pee in the middle of it and then he started yelling at someone on the phone.

Maybe he thought he was hunting on a game farm.

Elktaco

Lil-Rokslider
you.....

We must have been in the same honey hole.
First time elk hunt for me hunted the 8th-16th heard two bugles the last morning we hunted did get a bull on day 5 my dad called him in and he came from where we weren’t expecting (as every animal does) ran right into 20 yds from my dad while he was raking a tree, dad never seen the bull I didn’t have a shot, bull took off up over the ridge and I ran after him cow calling he was gone. Dad and I are standing discussing our plan for what to do next and here comes the bull back with his buddy spike, dad drops down a small ridge and starts calling again I set up and spike starts charging towards my dad the legal bull is taking his time then starts to leave I stop him as I’m pulling out my range finder and he starts leaving before I get a range on him I stop him again, I had a tree ranged at 30 where If he would of followed the script he was going to walk right to it, so I said tree is thirty that bull is standing at 60 (been shooting out to 60 all year I was 100% comfortable shooting to 60) nope arrow flys right over his back ( never will take a shot that far again without a range I know it was a dumb move on my part) the bull and spike take off the bull goes over the ridge and I run after him cow calling dad follows behind calling and as I get to the top there the bull is facing straight away from me I range him 53 yds he turns to the right takes two steps. Smoked him perfect quartering away shot he went 60 yds and dropped! I’m home now butchering him! 55 year old dad and I packed him out in two loads. I pushed my dad all year to get in shape for this we both drive truck for a living he lost 28 lbs and worked his a** off to come do this we live in Minnesota but he held up we hiked well over 50 miles that week in Colorado and he did awesome!
Nice job!

rwcole

FNG
Headed to unit 71 tomorrow. Option 2 if it doesnt produce anything is to maybe try the Grand Mesa area, any input from anyone thats hunted that area this year?

How high and what part of the state? Supposed to be low 20s where I'm hunting this weekend at roughly 9800ft

Poser

WKR
How's the weather up high at night?

Sam Juans: I spent the night at 12,500 Friday night and 11,500 Saturday night. Lows were in the mid 20s. The ground was definitely frozen in the morning with light flowing creeks icing up. The days are still quite warm, however.

rtaylor

Lil-Rokslider
Hunted in San Isabel National Forest from 9/14-9/19. Saw 2 cows the first day driving in that were spooked by someone. Never saw or heard another elk the whole time. Our typical spots had no recent activity. Did end up shooting my first mule deer so no complaints. Way more hunters than I've ever seen in this unit.