HOYT HELIX ULTRA Review

OP
Tony Trietch

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
Well Tony, I couldn't wait any longer for your review. LOL

I just ordered my first new bow ever. It was a hard decision between the Ultra and the Traverse. Both were great shooting bows.

My bow shop had the Ultra in 70#, 29" No. 3 cam and the Traverse at 60#, 29".

I ordered the Ultra based on my preference for it's draw cycle and 65# max limbs. The Traverse was a little bit quieter and a little less hand shock, but the draw cycle even at 60# made my shoulder sore and felt jumpy at the wall.

Stone Ultra, 65#, 75% LO, No. 2 Cam. Going to be hard waiting for the estimated 4 weeks for delivery.

Well, you had two quality bows there to pick from but I think you'll be happy with your choice. My review is complete and should post soon.

gretch6364

Lil-Rokslider
Read the posted review, thank you for putting it together.

Two questions:

What are you thoughts on the back wall? Do you just get used to it? I have been shooting Elite's recently and loved every single thing about the Helix Ultra except the back wall.

Second, I had never heard of the Hoyt 1500 dry fire test. I keep seeing people on another forum "blow up" their bows by accidentally dry firing...cables coming off, limbs splitting, etc. Will the Hoyt truly service a dry fire better?

Thanks

OP
Tony Trietch

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
Not sure what you mean by "Do you get used to it". I am guessing you are referring to the cable stops vs a limb stop? The cable stops offer a bit more stretch when pulling through the draw cycle and are much easier to shoot a back tension style release.
I shot Elite when they first came out because Kevin was building a bow unlike anything else out there. They are still riding that wave of technology and haven't changed or improved much since they came out, in my opinion.

And yes hoyt tests every model bow they make with the 1500 dry fire test. Did you watch the linked video? Hoyt has proved to be the toughest bows I have ever used. BTW, don't dry fire any bow..it's a test

No company is going to give someone a free bow for dry firing it. It's a test to confirm they've built the bow that can handle accidents. Do car companies give free cars if you drive into a wall? They don't but they test them doing so.
I still have a couple sets of bent cams sitting on my bow workbench to remind me not to do stupid things like draw the bow without an arrow or with fingers....
(those bent cams are from two diff models of Elite bows)

gretch6364

Lil-Rokslider
Interesting writing style/tone in your reply Tony.

Obviously I know not to dry fire a bow...and yes I watched the video. I was asking if there is something special in Hoyt's design that helps it survive an accidental dry fire better then other bows as this is the first time I have heard of a company doing this particular test. The video gives no other information (and neither did you) other then we do this test.

I felt the Helix had the softest back wall of all of the flagship bows of 2019 that I shot (Prime, Hoyt, Matthews & Elite). It was like squeezing a sponge back there. You did not mention it at all, so I was looking for your opinion on it. As I said, I loved absolutely everything about the Helix Ultra except the back wall.

The only thing I said about Elite was that is the particular bow I have been shooting recently. Didn't think that would need a response of "They are still riding that wave of technology and haven't changed or improved much since they came out, in my opinion." You could certainly respond to that with a claim that no one has improved or changed much since 2010.

OP
Tony Trietch

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
Sorry if it came across poorly. I was trying to understand what you meant.

As for Elite, I do believe they have fallen way behind all of the Major bow companies, not just Hoyt. I agree their limb stop is rock solid and the cable stop on the Hoyt has give. I actually prefer the cable stop, as I am able to pull through my shot easier.

OP
Tony Trietch

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
Have you guys ever put the Helix on a draw board. How true to draw length spec are they?

You bet. Hard to tune a bow with out a draw board. My Helix came in about an 1/8” over but that is less than most all bows from years past. I’ve seen them 3/4” over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Tony Trietch

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
Put some new strings on the Helix Ultra and she’s looking as good as she’s shooting. I keep the stock strings with peep, loop and silencers intact for a back up set in my archery tool box that travels with me.
dbee5e897ff3895b2c35a06ec6cbd762.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Tony Trietch

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
Tony
Where did you get your strings/cables?
Just started working with my new Ultra. All I can say is WOW.

I got them from Buck Slayer Strings this year. This is my first year using them and I am happy so far. Everything was spot on and tuned up super fast. No peep rotating and serving all look clean and tight. Fast build as well, I have had to wait for several weeks in the past from different builders, I had these in a week.

chasewild

WKR
If you prefer a spongy back wall, how do you get consistency in your release? This is one of ulmer's no-compromise points...

OP
Tony Trietch

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
If you prefer a spongy back wall, how do you get consistency in your release? This is one of ulmer's no-compromise points...

Like Slim Jim said, it's the limb stops that often cause trouble for archers to pull through with tension type releases.
Good of you to read Ulmer's articles, he's the best out there in my opinion. I just think you might have gotten that point switched up.